Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008
wingsailor

wingsailor is on a distinguished road
GPS and VMG

One of our sailing club Bards presented a very detailed description of generating and using Polar Diagrams to improve preformance on the race course. I had put together a similar presentation for our local Multihull association on how to use your inexpensive GPS to maximize windward and leeward performance without needing to generate Polar Diagrams. It won't necessarily help you win races but it is a very simple way to improve your upwind and down wind speed. A complete description is on my web site: www . wingsailor . com by clicking on the "VMG & GPS" tab.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Wingsailor-

What boat do you sail??? Also, recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get more out of your time here. Also, believe a fellow Telstar owner sails out of Punta Gorda, do you know him??

Here's your link: CLICK HERE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-07-2008
wingsailor

Ocean Catamaran

Dogsailor,

I sail an Ocean Catamaran 49 out of Charlotte Harbor SW Florida. The web site containing the VMG GPS page has a lot of other information on it including some of the wing sail stuff I am working on.

The description of the set-up and use of an inexpensive GPS to generate a consistant windward or leeward speed monitoring VMG anywhere on a race course seems to be easy to understand and use but I haven't yet talked to one of our racers that has tried it since I made the presentation several months ago. Hard to believe racers are not interested in improving upwind and downwind performance.
Old 12-07-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
In this area Polars are very common and used all the time even the 1970 C&C 35 i race on has a set that was made for it when the original owner put on a new keel and light weight mast

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 12-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't race, so it isn't of much interest to me.

As for wing sails, I'm not a big fan, as they're a considerable hazard on most cruising boats, since they create a sail that is not reefable or removable.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-07-2008

paulk is on a distinguished road
VMG is certainly of interest to racers. If they have GPS sailing units, they're likely to get them with the VMG software programming already installed.
Old 12-07-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
VMG is certainly of interest to racers. If they have GPS sailing units, they're likely to get them with the VMG software programming already installed.
Yes, except VMG to the mark really doesn't give you what you want. The point is to sail to weather at best VMG, which is what wingsailor's method gives you. It's kind of like polars for free, with the advantage of auto-adjust for current conditions. All is explained in wingsailor's article.

Jim
Old 12-08-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
I have a limited abilty to express my thoughts in text

I dont do a lot of sailing outside of racing and feel like we have allways used the GPS VMG in combo with the polars

The polars exist to tell us if we are trimed well enough to hit a target speed in a known wind speed and course

One of the problems is we offen have to cover other boats as staying ahead of them is how we win, this is not allways the best VMG

In are shorter races the legs are offen only 1 mile and there is really not any time to even use the GPS when your doing a short race with 40 boats in 7 divisions

In longer races the Long Island Sound current chart becomes a key tool as to were we decide to go (the short ones also as we do get a wicked current inside the harbor also)

And it has been proven that the odds on wind shifts favor sticking to the middle of the course unless there is something way out of normal

I see what else come to mind as i ponder this complex stuff

I will say that on Zooom(35') we win a whole lot of races and only use the GPS here and there to get fixes and kind of wing it based on what the GUT says to do

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 12-08-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-08-2008
wingsailor

Question VMG & Wings

sailingdog,

Your statement regarding wing sails seemed a little unusual for a guy with a trimaran for an avitar. Don't you know those things break up and flip over [;^) ?

I came over to the "Dark Side" 20 years ago because, after doing a lot of research, reading designers books, sailing with friends with large cruising/racing catamarans and several charters on Multihulls, the design concept and life style just made more sense. A lot of my friends who sail lead mines, never set foot on a catamaran and have little understanding of the world of multihulls always brought capsizing up early in any conversation about sailing. My usual response is "upside down on top of the water beats right side up on the bottom". As I am about to start the last phase in this wing thing (building time and money involved) I would be interested in the basis of your comment:

"As for wing sails, I'm not a big fan,
as they're a considerable hazard
on most cruising boats, since they create
a sail that is not reefable or removable."

Have you sailed on any vessel using a wing or Aerorig or large cord wing mast and if so what was the problem/hazard? Have you seen any reports of problems/hazards caused by wing sails on cruising boats? Also, is there a forum or thread somewhere on this site where wing sails are discussed?

Wingsailor
Old 12-08-2008
Telstar 28

Basically, if you get caught in a heavy storm with very strong winds, the wing mast becomes a serious issue.

I have been on a trimaran that had a wing mast that did become a problem... and the problem was solved when the wing mast broke and fell overboard... causing other problems. Generally, cruising boats shouldn't have a sail that they can't remove. A wing mast is effectively a sail that can't be removed.

If you're going to use a wing mast, it would probably be wise to make it less than 10% of the total main sail area in size. Then you could probably get away using it as a storm sail.

The reason I doubt you'll find much on using a wing mast or wing sail is that they're very limited purpose and fairly rare, mainly due to the expense of building them and maintaining them and the dangers involved in sailing a boat with one.

On one of the video websites, probably Youtube.com, there was a video of a wingsail shredding itself during a speed record attempt... really not pretty to watch.

Telstar 28
New England