Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Before I head off and write an email....

to my local PHRF reps, can anyone tell me if I can buy a "One Race" PHRF rating/license to try out racing my own boat? I don't want to go through the whole hassle of getting PHRF permanent rating, cost of numbers on a sail, etc., joining a local PHRF group if I don't like it.

In amature cycling you can by a One-Day racing license for just such a trial period and wanted to know if the same is true for PHRF sailing?

Thanks in advance.

DrB

Last edited by DrB; 04-06-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why don't you crew on a PHRF boat in your area in a race....that would give you a feel for the racing scene without any commitment...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-06-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Been There, .................

Quote:
Why don't you crew on a PHRF boat in your area in a race....that would give you a feel for the racing scene without any commitment...
Done that a lot. Interested in being the one yelling at the helm

Just want to understand if a one-day is possible without the extra effort and expense.

Thanks.

DrB
Old 04-06-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
A one day PHRF certificate costs the same as one for a whole year. It takes the same amount of time by the PHRF committee to process your request either way. You will need a sail number in order to race as that is how the RC identifies you when they record finish times. Why don’t you have a “class” number on your main now? If you register with US Sail, you will get a five digit number that is “good” for racing anywhere (including foreign countries. If you do not have a sail number, some races allow you to attach a numbered placard to your lifelines on both sides of the boat. Check the Notice of Race (NOR) or the Sailing Instructions (SI). If not there, chances are they won’t let you race. You should email the race committee directly to ask them to wave the PHRF and sail number requirement. They may grant you your wish. Where you find “discounts” in a racing package if you buy the entire series of races or if you are a member of US sail.
Old 04-06-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
For the most part there going to say NO and want to also be a member of US sailing as well as the local YRA which usually does the PHRF

I went through this last summer because i do most of my racing on other peoples big boats and was not going to go out and buy a PHRF cert. when they will not even give my J24 a NON-SPINNAKER rating and stick me with the 174 in main and jib races

In the end because it was a charity race they looked the other way BUT there under massive pressure from US sailing NOT to

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-06-2009

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
I shared your attitude but when I finally got around to it, I found it to be a minimal hassle and expense to register.

The sail #s are a slight annoyance, but I bet if you asked a local sailmaker to put numbers on your sails they would do it for next to nothing in the hopes that they may get some business from you down the line (especially with business the way it is for most of them right now).

Once you are registered, you have done the hard work and the renewal (from year to year) is a breeze.
Old 04-06-2009

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
For the most part there going to say NO and want to also be a member of US sailing as well as the local YRA which usually does the PHRF

I went through this last summer because i do most of my racing on other peoples big boats and was not going to go out and buy a PHRF cert. when they will not even give my J24 a NON-SPINNAKER rating and stick me with the 174 in main and jib races

In the end because it was a charity race they looked the other way BUT there under massive pressure from US sailing NOT to
They don't give you a non-spin rating too? On Narragansett Bay they give you both.
Old 04-06-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
We get all kinds of PHRF funk going on like J105s in the same harbor and race with different ratings

And i forgot there is the evil-eye for not ponying up 65 dollars to the J24 class also as well as the 35 dollar per sail royalty tag

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-06-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
A lot of YC racing and even regional racing associations don't and won't care if you have a certificate or not--as long as your boat conforms to the same standards as another in the fleet.

Depending on how fierce the locals are, you might try meeting up with the RC (not on race day!) or even volunteering for that onerous duty, and saying flat out "I don't know if I'm really interested in racing. Things are a bit tight, could I race one night without getting a certificate for my boat, just to get a feel? "

A smart RC will find a way to make it happen, to encourage more folks to the sport.

But for major events and racing series that score for total points--don't expect that to happen. One day or night around the cans, yes.

There is ALWAYS argument and unhappiness about unfair ratings, and that's all part of the game. If that's going to be a problem--stick with one-design racing, or go cruising.

And if you do a little research, you can probably find out if your boat is considered "properly" handicapped, or hard to race to her numbers, etc. Some boats are problematic, i.e. they may have a terribly fine range and be incredibly hard to sail to their optimum speed. Others are much more forgiving, and if you're not an experienced racer--more likely to be competitive for you.
Old 04-06-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Depends upon the race and WHOM is running the race. My club has club races, you do not need to be a PHRF member, but you will be asked to join the club if you continue to race, or put some money into the kitty/club.

If you do a larger benefit regatta like I did last weekend, the club wants you money for the charity, PHRF is looked the other way, and you will get a temp rating for the race.

Larger competitive races, no PHRF, no race!

Not sure which your final will be, but check with the club putting on the race to get an answer.

marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.