Rights and luffing sails - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 08-23-2009

To answer your original question... things have changed. Forget what you thought was the case "many years ago". Your sails could be luffing while you are on port or starboard tack - with the attendant implications. Your sails do not have to be filled for you to be on one tack or the other. Look at the definition of being on a tack- it's your windward side, regardless of how your sails are trimmed. If you are tacking, you have to keep clear of other boats, but that's not because your sails are luffing, it's because you're tacking.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 08-24-2009 Thread Starter

Yes, and I saw that you can now be head to wind, and if you were on a starboard tack before you got that way you're still on a starboard tack.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-24-2009
tap

Once you pass head to wind you have no rights under rule 13, until you reach a close-hauled course. I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a closed hauled course. Must your sails be trimmed properly or is it simply the boat's course that matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta
sail under them and try calling them up, but then you would've overtaken from astern and have no rights.
What rule is that from? Rule 17 only prevents a leeward boat that acquire overlap from astern from sailing above her proper course, but a boat has no proper course before the race starts.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-25-2009
I don't discuss my member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap View Post
Once you pass head to wind you have no rights under rule 13, until you reach a close-hauled course. I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a closed hauled course. Must your sails be trimmed properly or is it simply the boat's course that matters?

What rule is that from? Rule 17 only prevents a leeward boat that acquire overlap from astern from sailing above her proper course, but a boat has no proper course before the race starts.
Correct, the way I wrote it is confusing. There's no proper course before the start, but as soon as the gun goes off, you can't sail above your proper course.

Merit 25 # 764 "Audrey"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.