SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Racing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/)
-   -   Rights and luffing sails (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/56744-rights-luffing-sails.html)

jarcher 08-03-2009 12:53 AM

Rights and luffing sails

Hi All, I seem to remember that many years ago, a boat sitting on a race course with her sails flapping in the breeze, so that they were not "full and drawing" had no rights.

I was just reviewing the rules and I can't find this rule. Now it seems that the only time a luffing boat has no rights is during a tack, from the time the boom crosses the centerline to the time the boat is on a close hauled course. And even then, its not clear to me that the sails have to be full to be on a close hauled course.

Have things changed, or am I just not looking hard enough?

maxmunger 08-04-2009 11:39 AM

I think you should be looking under the rules for an obstruction!

zz4gta 08-04-2009 02:09 PM

Is the boat head to wind, or just have the sheets blown?

Luffing doesn't negate the fact they're on starboard and the overtaking boat must keep clear. Luffing at a start is an easy way to hold your spot in a competative OD fleet and used quite often.

SeanConnett 08-04-2009 02:19 PM

Jarcher - Are you asking from a racing stand point or a regular rules of the road situation?

jarcher 08-05-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zz4gta (Post 511079)
Is the boat head to wind, or just have the sheets blown?

Luffing doesn't negate the fact they're on starboard and the overtaking boat must keep clear. Luffing at a start is an easy way to hold your spot in a competative OD fleet and used quite often.

He was not heat to wind, just had his sheets out and sails flogging.

It seems like a poor strategy, I like to hit the line at full speed when I start. But it used to be, a luffing boat had no rights.

jarcher 08-05-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxmunger (Post 511033)
I think you should be looking under the rules for an obstruction!

What would the obstruction be?

jarcher 08-05-2009 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanConnett (Post 511080)
Jarcher - Are you asking from a racing stand point or a regular rules of the road situation?

Raceing...

zz4gta 08-05-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarcher (Post 511273)
He was not heat to wind, just had his sheets out and sails flogging.

It seems like a poor strategy, I like to hit the line at full speed when I start. But it used to be, a luffing boat had no rights.

Idealy, full speed is great. But most of the time there are too many boats to get that kind of position and clean air. On a very crowded line, blowing the sheet may be the only way to stay on the first row. Only thing you could do about it, is sail under them and try calling them up, but then you would've overtaken from astern and have no rights.

jarcher 08-05-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zz4gta (Post 511326)
Only thing you could do about it, is sail under them and try calling them up, but then you would've overtaken from astern and have no rights.

Well it was pretty easy to duck around him and harden up at the gun. He was practically sitting still, so all I had do do was come up to my proper course (right at the gun) and give him enough room - well, to sit still without hitting me I guess ;)

zz4gta 08-05-2009 01:08 PM

Yea, when there's room on the line, there's no reason to be dead in the water, you're supposed to sheet in ~10-15 second early to accelorate but I guess they forgot that part! Now when you have a OD fleet with 40+ boats, you start to see a real fight for the front row, as the second row will have choppy water, and really bad air.