Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2003

capnjim02 is on a distinguished road
Current State of Sailboat Racing is Pretty Bad

I agree with Jeff 100% Many times a savy race commitee will purposely set up the line to have the pin end favored to keep the pack away from their stern. I have done the "port tack start at the pin end" with great results. Why start in a pack with very few options of where you can go and when. I always felt that starting on time with full speed and clean air was always better than on the favored tack ,in a pack,slow and pinned. this is especially true if your like me with the highest handicaped boat in your class. A Winabago on water "O''Day 30 centerboard" By using these tactics, sail smart and always keep clean air we"ve collected more than our share of the tin over the years.
Capn Jim of Que Pasa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2003

graham1 is on a distinguished road

Good job in opening up an interesting topic, Doug.

At a recent regatta I chaired, I actually had two sailors come up to me and complain because the race committee waited for the last place boat to finish before starting the next race! (We got both races in in about 3 hours). Both these guys win all the time. Imagine what that says to the new sailor: your effort isn''t worth our time - get out of the way.

Inviting a new sailor aboard your boat is a great idea. But, how ''bout offering to go aboard his boat? Not only can you give him specific advice, but maybe you''ll remember what it''s like to come in DFL or to never have won a (even cheesy) trophy!

Fair winds,
Graham
Old 04-17-2003
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Gee Doug, I think you must be the poster boy for the "Why I Don''t Bother To Race Club". Just kidding BUT, there is a lot of attitude out there and it keeps many of us away from racing. Some of us don''t really need to sail for a plastic trophy and a bunch of screaming, even if we do have competative boats. I know some people who race with the intent of finishing at the back of the pack because they just want to have a little fun without the hastle.

Definition of "CREW" : Rude, noisy, beer can/fast food bag littering, non boat owning people, who take up every available parking spot (usually 1.5 spots per car) on race day, can''t clean up after themselves in a public rest room, carry little 6 pack coolers and huge $250.00 duffle bags with trendy sailing related logo''s on them.

Good luck this season. I hope none of us get the way of your next engraved pickle dish.
Old 04-20-2003

yesterdayswine is on a distinguished road

I''ve never raced in my life, but have been asked to crew many times. I will tell you that I am the guy your talking about. I have 1 year experience and plan to enter a few races this year. I don''t care if I make you mad...unless I hit your boat. I have never raised a spinnaker yet, but plan to learn during my first race. When it''s all over, you''ll have something to B!@%ch about, & I''ll have something to laugh about. See you on the water! lol
Old 04-23-2003

gungho24 is on a distinguished road

What a bunch of mess. How in the world will we ever get crew with these attitudes??? Someone has to grind the winches. I know lets invite people we dont like without talent insult them yell at them give them lots of beer and hope they return to do it again next Sunday. Oh yeah when they actually learn something and contribute to the art of sailing lets kick them off the boat because one day they may actually figure out a way to buy a boat and beat us at our own game. (Man that felt good!)
Old 10-06-2009

curriernh is on a distinguished road
A different take........

Racing for me is not for competition but rather just an excuse, and a good one at that, to get out on the water a few nights a week. With grandkids and dogs aboard, we don't place very well and don't feel very competitive but our racing group is fun and carefree. As the kids get older, I think the competition side will kick in and we'll get more serious. Until then, fun is the name of our game despite participating in racing.
Old 10-06-2009

toastchee is on a distinguished road
>>Good luck this season. I hope none of us get the way of your next engraved pickle dish.

That's awesome. Good one.

This season we finished last except for one race but I claimed we were '#1 in fun'!!!

Good luck with that next coronary infarction!
Old 11-12-2009

AndrewMac is on a distinguished road
Interesting thread. I frankly avoided racing for years partially because I was intimidated by the whole thing. Bad reason, I know, but true nonetheless. While I respect the fact that Doug was trying to be provocative to get the discussion going, I have always had the distinct impression that many out there do indeed possess something similar to the attitude he expressed in the initial post. I just recently signed up at a sailing club here in NYC and, while I was researching where to join, looked hard for a place that went out of its way to communicate a willingness to accept and mentor newbie racers. I'm hoping they practice what they preach. I've always thought that racing must really help sharpen one's overall sailing skills and, if pursued in a collegially competitive attitude, is probably hugely enjoyable in its own right. Looking forward to finding out....and wishing winter wasn't so long in the northeast!
Old 11-17-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
We just heard at our annual meeting that our club had a record number of races and boats starting this year -- several thousands of "boat-starts" including the one-design and handicap fleets. Not bad for a club with less than 300 members.
Old 11-18-2009

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
I agree with those who observe that the sort of attitude in the original post (intolerance for less skilled) is exactly why many (including me) decide that we have better things to do with our boat time than to race (I have raced in the past).

I have no interest in spending my precious boat time being yelled at or derided by those with a superior attitude, even if they may be superior racers.

Pearson 26 #1200

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.