Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009

Melbournian is on a distinguished road
Our club has a wednesday Twilight race which is suppose to be a fun race and to introduce more people to racing. The first few races were really fun and everyone enjoyed it. But just 4 races into it, I find that its getting competitive and people are getting nasty esp. the more experienced sailors. Now I know why I was so reluctant to join the race and we belong to the club! I so totally agree with fendertweed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Couldnt agree more than with melbournian.
BUT, club racing is a fast track method of learning your boat.

We sometimes used to follow a club race, clean up the stragglers but keep out of the way. We were asked to stop or join!

DOnt need the ansgt. Also very often, the crew off a racer have egos and mouths beyond abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
DOnt need the ansgt. Also very often, the crew off a racer have egos and mouths beyond abilities.
Yep ..2 minutes over as SA will tell you it hasn't gotten any better...drives me bananas.

I would like to race a little bit some day...but I'm not going to put up with that junk.

This is an old thread and a good one...doesn't seem to be a large racing crowed here anymore...SA started around 02/03 so maybe they all were lured away...

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 11-18-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Still,
If you get a good crowd, you learn to push your yacht under different wind conditions. Remember 2 boats = a race [ guy speak!] Also you learn to 'thread the eye of the needle' - closer than comfort when cruising.

But, It can bring out a different side to people

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by St Anna; 11-19-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-19-2009

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
absolutely (2 boats = race) for me, too, LOL ... I just don't need/want the crowding, the crowing, &c.

Pearson 26 #1200
Old 11-19-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I find it interesting that some people who have replied to this thread have never raced and don't want to race. They're the ones who base their opinions on racers from hear say and drive away new blood. Along with the ego crazed skippers.

If you're on a yelling boat, find another boat, they aren't that good if they're yelling. Yelling means they don't practice, don't have their timing down, and their tactician may be an idiot. Racing (and sailing in general) isn't a sport of instant gratification. You don't jump in a formula one racer and expect to do well just b/c you've been driving for years. Same goes with sailing, and racing sailboats.

I find that most cruising skippers fall into 2 groups. The first one is the guy who wants to learn more about sail trim, tactics, and hydrodynamics, but is scared to screw something up on a boat with sails that cost more than a car.

The second is the skipper who likes to sail in his or her own little world and can't handle being critiqued or questioned. His ego is fragile, his boat is grand, and he is the best sailor he knows, just ask him. It's this one that deep down inside doesn't want to race b/c of fear they'll end up at the back of the pack.

There's nothing scarey about racing. Things need to be done quickly, boats get close to one another. But good crews don't yell. Good skippers know how to shut up and drive and leave the trimming to the trimmers. Leave the take downs to the foredeck gods, and leave the tactics to the snactitian.
Old 11-19-2009

St Anna, you are right. We are definitely learning to sail better and in different conditions. We have a catalina, and we know her strengths and weakness. So far we have done pretty good..coming in the top end of the pack of 28 boats in our division. For a cruiser , she's doing good. I am just going to enjoy a great competition and have fun and learn...and also learn to ignore the asses out there . The last one is easier said then done
Old 11-20-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Talking

Melbournian
Looks like you've got the right idea. Your club also seesm to be doing something right -- 28 boats in your division, that's a really good sized fleet.
I raced in the Annapolis Wednesday night series for 20 years and while there were lots of boats, I don't thing there ever was a class that big.
As everyone has pointed out, racing really makes you learn about your boat. I know it took as about three years of racing and practice before we could consistently place up at the top and we all had a lot of years of sailing experience but very little big boat (I had a C&C 40) racing. From what you've written it sounds like you're ahead of the curve. In any case, we raced against a lot of really good sailors and most of them were more than happy to discuss tactics after the races -- that and practioce was how we learned. After a while we were on the other side trying to help out newbies.
There will always be loudmouths no matter where you go or what you do but with that many boats in your group they should be easy to avoid. We found that mostly they talked a better game than they sailed .
I gave up the Wednesday night series mainly because I couldn't get there in time for the first race. (Work is a bitch)
Anyway good luck and good sailing.
Old 11-20-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
We found that a good way to keep people happy is to have a white sail (main & jib) division and a separate spinnaker division. The slower boats don't get as frustrated trying to keep up with the "hot shots", and the race committee can provide different courses and starts. If the RC does it right, everyone finishes at about the same time so they can share stories on the club porch afterwards. Another trick is to manipulate the ratings. We had about 60" added to our rating for Wednesday night club races after we won the club championship a few times. Others had theirs adjusted too, so that the race results became much more equitable. We had to sail our best every time if we wanted to keep first place. Others had a better chance to beat us if they came out. Participation increased to the point that we needed to create two divisions, and the story goes on with new tweaks each season, based on what we think will work.
Old 11-22-2009

Morning All,

Bloodhunter, our Twilight starts at 6pm, so there's plenty of time for us to get there. Its so popular becos its alot more relaxed then the usual Sat race and alot of friends come along who are not members of the club. Also we don't have to sail throughout the season. Anyone can just let the race committee know if they want to join the race the day before. We have 2 divisions. We usually get about over 40 boats as the weather is getting better. For wed nights, there's no spinnaker. Less stressful and more fun.
Yes our race committee has done a great job to encourage sailing. We had over 250 people coming into the club on our open day a couple of weeks ago.
Paulk, we use Topyacht program to do the handicap and everything else ..except to sail . I help out on Sat to keep time. Its a pretty good program. All the other sail clubs in the bay is using it so we have a uniform handicap system.
Happy Sailing everyone