Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010

zAr is on a distinguished road
Economics of racing?

I enjoy watching the Vendee Globe, Volvo, etc. races but I'm puzzled by the economics behind the racing.

My understanding is that at the higher levels you have a corporate sponsor for a boat who gets to splash their name and logo across everything, and at lower levels you just have wealthy folk with privately owned boats who just fork over the cash and have crew along for the ride ("Other People's Boat Club").

So far, so good...but apart from a trophy, fame and your name on a list somewhere, what do the winners win? What does the captain and/or crew get? Are they under contracts, similar to other sports, where they get to take home some of the sponsorship money? If so, how much are we talking?

Is there financial reward for coming first in the Vendee Globe?
Old 01-25-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
From what I could see in researching it - there's no cash prize for the VOR. As for other back-end deals...who knows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
The quick answer is that it's not economical. If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it. In Europe, however, they get 40,000 people to go to the start of a race, and the advertisers figure they get their money's worth. News coverage of the boats they're sponsoring goes on for months in Around-The-World races. Getting their names out there is good product placement and must be cheaper than buying TV ads.
Old 01-28-2010

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
It is branding and sponsor recognition only. Rarely can one pull a profit from racing but a good team with good sponsors can even out at the end of the day...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-29-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Boat ownership is what will kill you financially. Crewing on a race boat can make you a little money, anywhere from 50-350 bucks per day. But making a living at it is rarely possible. This is why, in my opinion, that there isn't more top end racing and TV coverage. For the people racing, all that time and money invested leaves you with little more than bragging rights at the end of the day.

Inject serious prize money into the program, and more people will see it and want to do it. Of course you can't offer big prize money, when you only get 40 boats out for a regatta.

Last edited by zz4gta; 01-29-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Yacht racings is mostly a corinthian sport. We are amatuers doing if for the fun of it. I once sat down with a friend who was a golfer and we compared expenses for the past years vs hours spent doing the sport. Racing sailboats was a bargain.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 01-29-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Yacht racings is mostly a corinthian sport. We are amatuers doing if for the fun of it. I once sat down with a friend who was a golfer and we compared expenses for the past years vs hours spent doing the sport. Racing sailboats was a bargain.

Jeff
A harsh reality is when I realized how much time I spent working on my old race car instead of racing it. My hobie turned into wrench work, instead of driving fast.
Old 01-29-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
If you want the vicarious experience of racing a sailboat:

Stand in a cold shower and tear up hundred dollar bills.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-29-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Look, brand exposure in these sports is enormous. Look at the VOR...it had a cumulative global TV audience of over 2 BILLION! This means that over the 9 months - VOR brands were connected with consumers this many times via television alone. That's freakin' huge.

The question now is - how do you apply a Nascar or F1 model to the VOR or Vendee? The dynamics are very similar.

It's doable.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-29-2010

xact is on a distinguished road
not to mention effective for the major sponsors. If you follow the races think in your head about how many sponsors you can recall.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.