Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Bubble - take a look here:

BFSGR MD Courses

Click on Beverly Beach, then "BB-CB (SC)". Isn't that it? Or did I screw something up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Smack,
Now, how does that BFS Regatta work again? What is the over-all course length and how long do each leg have to be? I might have some time in mid July to run the SF Bay course – what are the times that everyone is posting? How have you been doing yourself? (I need to figure out how fast I need to sail).
Old 06-29-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
GB - here's a link to everything you want to know:

BFS Global Regatta

But for you, my friend, an executive summary for your questions:

-Set up a 5nm or 10nm course triangular course in your area (legs can be any distance, no more than 1 physical mark, but distance has to be exact)
-Send me the coords for each mark and I'll get the course into the list
-You better hurry before someone else sets up a SFB course before you. Guys over on SA are setting up courses left and right. I don't want to see you get scooped.
-As for times, I had the best time in the Sail C class for the short course until KaptainKriz smoked me by 11 minutes. He's on the leader board right now for SailC with 1:03:24.

You better sail fast pal.

Old 07-14-2010
Last Man Standing

Well Akoni (Kriz) is still leading the SailC class Short Course with a 1:03:24 on the Patuxent course in MD. My best has been 1:14:52. But I have been trying valiantly to take him...to no avail. I just keep getting slower.

I blew off work yesterday and went out with a buddy to run the course. The winds were great 15-20 with gusts to 25. But, alas, they were right on our nose coming back to the finish.

HERE'S THE RUN

Came in at about 1:32. Oh well, I'll wait for an easterly or westerly wind and try again.

Got a good size rip in the genny on a particularly strong gust - and the motor died in the middle of the fairway coming back in. But it sure as hell was fun! And I'm learning a lot about sail trim and steering. Very cool.

Old 07-15-2010
Last Man Standing

A question for you racers...

As you can see by my course in the link above, we took the first mark (in the cove) fairly wide. The reasoning was that, though we now know how to jibe safely, even in 20 knots, we still lose speed because we're not super smooth yet. So, I figured it would be better to stay a course that milked the wind for speed instead of doing a couple more jibes - even though it pushed us pretty wide of the mark.

How do you determine that trade-off, sticking closely to the line through multiple tacks/jibes as opposed to moving a bit off the mark but maintaining overall speed?

I assume the answer is "learn to jibe better" - but thought I'd ask anyway.

Old 07-15-2010
Last Man Standing

Also, I found a great primer for racing basics. And I knew it was for me by this line in the intro:

Quote:
Mistakes

Every race, you'll make many mistakes. The key is to forget about them for the moment, and go on with the race. It never helps your game to dwell on a mistake. All the energy spent on the last blunder takes concentration-concentration that is needed for sailing a great race. It might help to say "f**k," but only once.
LINKY

Old 07-19-2010
Last Man Standing

Man, the Chessie sailors are lighting it up! "Old Shoes" (SailD) ran the Beverly Beach short course in only 1:06:33.

Smokin'!

Old 07-28-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
I think this sounds really fun, but I can't get a triangle over about 3.8 nm on my small local lake. Rats. Looks like I'm going to have to wait until next season when I plan to have a better tow vehicle.

I'm curious, in the list for phrf ratings linked on the instructions site my San Juan 21 is listed as 240, but there is no variation for sail inventory, like with/without spinaker, 150 genny or class-legal 130, etc. Should that factor? (I have no kite and the 130.)
Old 07-28-2010
Last Man Standing

Bummer. You need a bigger lake dude!

Sail config doesn't matter in our classes. Whatever you can do to go faster - you do it. It's just about the speed.

A kite is currently on my wishlist.

Old 07-29-2010
Last Man Standing

Hey lydan, the racers have spoken...via PMs. Good guys those!

Go ahead and set up a 2.5nm course and lap it. Send me the coords when you have it ready and I'll check 'em.