Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Okay, I've got my guys starting to work on the database. You racers give me the fields we need to have. Does anyone have a spreadsheet or something from an actual race?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not only are you going to have to adjust for the difference in performance of the various boats, but to make it fair, you'd have to adjust for the different weather conditions and seastate at the different venues. I don't see how you can gather enough data to do a reasonable approximation of that at the current time, with the current technology.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-05-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Well, to me, the underlying assumption on which all that data and technology would be predicated is flawed - that is that it needs to be "fair". And what does "fair" really mean anyway?

It's just a fun bashfest.

But seriously, let's say that we just use the Water-Body-Type/Beaufort-Scale/Boat-Type. Pretty good start don't you think?

Anyway, it's doable from a technology standpoint. Trust me.

Old 02-05-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
SD, respectfully, f**k a whole bunch of fair.

The problem with "being fair" is that you end up with a 400 page rulebook that covers every what-if, every complaint, every reason why a boat doesn't win, and then sets out handicapping, penalties, sizes, weights, minimums and maximums and ...

It stops being fun, starts getting expensive, and the sportsmanship gets lost in the shuffle.

If one is really really worried about winning, then perhaps an unstructured fun race is not what one is looking for.

Auto racing is finally getting it. Compare the 24 heures de le Mans to the 24 hours of le Mons, and tell me which race sounds like more fun.
Old 02-05-2010

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
SD,

Since you do not have to go out at a set time or in set conditions. Picking the best conditions for your boat is part of the game.

I still think you should add the PHRF rating to the database, even if you don't use them for anything, it would be fun fact for comparison purposes.
Old 02-05-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In that case, the "fair" assumptions go out the window... and planning what conditions under which you race is a critical part of your winning strategy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoP35 View Post
SD,

Since you do not have to go out at a set time or in set conditions. Picking the best conditions for your boat is part of the game.

I still think you should add the PHRF rating to the database, even if you don't use them for anything, it would be fun fact for comparison purposes.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-05-2010
Last Man Standing

Okay, let's start getting down to brass tacks. I need to get this database going.

Let's get the main fields worked out. Copy and paste what I have below and add, change and/or mark out as needed:

1. Yacht Name
• S/V Whatever

2. Yacht Brand
• Benehunterlina

3. Hull Number

4. LOA

5. Number of Crew

6. Category (one of the following - need help with this one)
• XLR (over 40' racer)
• XLC (over 40' cruiser)
• LR (30' to 40' racer)
• LC (30' to 30' cruiser)
• MR (25' to 29' racer)
• MC (25' to 29' cruiser)
• SR (Under 25' racer)
• SC (Under 25' cruiser)
• LMH (30' to 40' multi)
• MMH (25'-29' multi)
• SMH (Under 25' multi)
• OCWS (other crap with sails)

7. Course (selected from a list of available courses)
• Body of Water
• Long Course
• Short Course

8. Date and Start Time of Entered Race

9. Beaufort Scale During Race
• F10

10. Overall Race Time
• 01:01:01:01

11. GPS Track
• Ideally we can provide downloadable tracks for each course. Then you can upload your track with it's time. I'll look into this. Will probably use GPX or something similar.

What else do we need as a basis?

As for the PHRF stuff, I agree that it might hold value for some. But I figure we want to keep this as dirty simple as possible. Then if people want to argue PHRF they have the info to do it on their own.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-05-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2010

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
As for the PHRF stuff, I agree that it might hold value for some. But I figure we want to keep this as dirty simple as possible. Then if people want to argue PHRF they have the info to do it on their own.
Nobody can do it on their own if you don't include the PHRF rating in the database. Just add an input field for PHRF rating. Make it optional, but I think it would be fun to know and easy to include.

SD, you're making my point!
Old 02-05-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
It's obvious

That in order to work properly, you simply need to get the Polars for every boat racing and program them. Then you feed in the reported windspeeds and directions, based on the orientation of the various triangles. The savvy guys would set up their course so they'd have one long starboard tack upwind (not too tight); a reach, then a gybe, and another a long tight reach back. After sending in the data, you wouldn't even really need to actually sail the course.
Old 02-05-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Im in...Put us down for the Head Sail only class....you know the one, feet on tiller, beer in hand class thinngy.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.