Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Im in...Put us down for the Head Sail only class....you know the one, feet on tiller, beer in hand class thinngy.
In principle I'm with Still.

Then again as we'd be the only boat on Sydney Harbour cheating has got to be an option.

Hasn't it ?

Yeah.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Never trust an overgrown fuzzy rat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
In principle I'm with Still.

Then again as we'd be the only boat on Sydney Harbour cheating has got to be an option.

Hasn't it ?

Yeah.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-06-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Never trust an overgrown fuzzy rat...
You're learning SD, you're learning.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-06-2010
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Endurance

How about making it a tad more challenging, something like.

You have to race at least 200 NM, wind must be 20+ knots (in order to get the old shoes moving), and you must visit two ports or tidal creeks, all under sail (no engine at any point).

That would rid us of all the rating requirements, as the more extreme designs would fall for one of the criteria?

/Joms

Edit: I know this would require participants to be gentlemen, but?

Last edited by JomsViking; 02-06-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-06-2010

lapworth is on a distinguished road
I hate to give Smack any more work but maybe you could try running this race like College Football. Now you would have total power you could place people in Div. 1,2,3,4.... then when they send in there reports you could say weather they beat a certian boat or not in the same conditions. At then end of the season you could Invite us to a " Bowl Boat Race " . Examples Chessy Bowl, Down Under Bowl, Lake Bowl...... The best part will be when monthly " Smack Ratings " Come out. Everyone will be able to arguee the ratings all month.
Old 02-06-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Good ideas - keep them coming...

Here's what I'm thinking for course. There will be three; short, medium, and long to try to accommodate the various bodies of water. The idea is to make it something that anyone can go out and do on a day sail. That way more people will participate. Here are the course lengths:

Short: 2.5NM
Medium: 5NM
Long: 10NM

As an example, the Three Bridge Fiasco is 21NM. So this seems like a pretty good distance. Speak up if you disagree.

So, go ahead and layout your course for your body of water. The easiest way to do it is with Google Earth. Use the ruler function and lay it out in NM. Then when it's there, trace over that with the Add Path function. If you can't figure that out, just send me the coordinates of your marks and I'll do it for you.

And TD, cheat at your own peril, my friend.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-06-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
I hate to give Smack any more work but maybe you could try running this race like College Football. Now you would have total power you could place people in Div. 1,2,3,4.... then when they send in there reports you could say weather they beat a certian boat or not in the same conditions. At then end of the season you could Invite us to a " Bowl Boat Race " . Examples Chessy Bowl, Down Under Bowl, Lake Bowl...... The best part will be when monthly " Smack Ratings " Come out. Everyone will be able to arguee the ratings all month.
Dude, that sounds like the BCS. No way!

My ultimate goal is to start an international incident between two full-keelers.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-06-2010

Exactly ! I go to Terp games all year if you had 60,000 people show up to one of your Bowls I think you would be the biggest thing that ever happend to sailing.
Old 02-06-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
I favor Smacks original scheme.

Drop an the triangle down on your prefered body of water. Whatever combination of lenght of triangle sides and laps to produce an agreed course length.

Report your time and conditions then some one with more time than sense can work out what it all means.
Old 02-06-2010

Could I just use the bouys in the bay example R2 , G1A, then G1? I cant get my charts there down at the boat and I am stuck in over 2' snow. I can give you the distance(when i get out) but it wont be an exact 2.5 nm. The good thing about it is everyone in my area would know the marks.