Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Anybody in the Philadelphia area ready to embarrass me on this 3 hour cruise.

BFS Global Regatta Delaware River

Eddystone Power Station Crum Creek Pilot Dock 0.5nm southerly to

Red 27 north of Chester Island in Eddystone Range
Then easterly Tinicum range south of Little Tinicum Island 5.0nm to

Yellow N “A” in Billingsport Range Anchorage
Then westerly Mifflin Bar Dike and north of Little Tinicum Island 5.0nm to

Point of Beginning Crum Creek Pilot dock

Distance approximate
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
Could I just use the bouys in the bay example R2 , G1A, then G1? I cant get my charts there down at the boat and I am stuck in over 2' snow. I can give you the distance(when i get out) but it wont be an exact 2.5 nm. The good thing about it is everyone in my area would know the marks.
You can use buoys, but the distances have to be exactly the same for every course. Otherwise, we can't compete from course to course.

The cool thing is that everyone has to race without anyone else on the water knowing there's a course. It's stealth racing baby! So if there's no physical mark, that's all the better. Just GPS.

Also, I was thinking today. Conditions don't matter. It's all about the best time for the particular category of boat. It's up to you to go out when things will work in your favor. Remember, this is not a one off race.

This is going to rock!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-06-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Okay, here are the courses for Lake Travis in Austin, TX. Just enter the coords into your GPS, hoist your sails, and get your game on!

A couple of dicey shallow spots, but it should be fine. You Travis racers let me know if you have any gripes. Otherwise - this one's done.

Okay, you other chumps get your courses up. Let's GO!

PS - Any reason not to use decimal coords? That appears to be the format used in the GPX files - which we'll use on the website.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-08-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Anybody in the Philadelphia area ready to embarrass me on this 3 hour cruise.

BFS Global Regatta Delaware River

Eddystone Power Station Crum Creek Pilot Dock 0.5nm southerly to

Red 27 north of Chester Island in Eddystone Range
Then easterly Tinicum range south of Little Tinicum Island 5.0nm to

Yellow N “A” in Billingsport Range Anchorage
Then westerly Mifflin Bar Dike and north of Little Tinicum Island 5.0nm to

Point of Beginning Crum Creek Pilot dock

Distance approximate
Ulla - is this roughly what you're talking about? This is a 5nm course.

Old 02-07-2010

lapworth is on a distinguished road
That makes things easy. Well then I want first go at Ulladh. All I need to do is setup a 10.5 nm course? GAME ON!
Old 02-07-2010
Last Man Standing

Actually here are the "official" course lengths:

Medium Course: 5nm
Long Course: 10nm

You're welcome, of course, to set up a longer one - but your times will probably be slower. heh-heh.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-16-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Revised Delaware River to fit 10nm
A 39-51'-25.02"N 75-19'-11.71"W (Crum Creek)
B 39-50'-40.37"N 75-20'-02.79"W (North East Chester Island)
C 39-51'-19.07"N 75-13'-48.00"W (Mantua Creek)

Lapworth the Game is On. I splash 3rd week of April.
Old 02-07-2010

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
Absolutely the lamest idea on Sailnet. Too many variables to give any significant meaning to any result. Is current factored in? Who measures the wind speeds? Are they measured at the top of a 70' mast or at the top of a 20' mast. How do you make sure all the courses have the same amount of beating, reaches? What happens if the wind shifts 30 degrees on your course and not on some others??

Basically you plan is garbage in for the data and garbage out for the results.
Old 02-08-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
Absolutely the lamest idea on Sailnet. Too many variables to give any significant meaning to any result. Is current factored in? Who measures the wind speeds? Are they measured at the top of a 70' mast or at the top of a 20' mast. How do you make sure all the courses have the same amount of beating, reaches? What happens if the wind shifts 30 degrees on your course and not on some others??

Basically you plan is garbage in for the data and garbage out for the results.
Sandy, baby, absolutely the lamest post on Sailnet. But don't worry, it took a while for Dog to get it too.

You guys are too bound up in the trees of one-off style racing. You must relax your mind! And see the forest of the Global Regatta!

The beauty of it is that none of the variables you mention matter. All that matters is your time. Breathe deeply, and listen....

See, one can go out as many times as one would like, in whatever conditions he'd like, with whatever sails he'd like, all season long, to capture the best possible time he and his boat can throw down on the preset course. He gets to make that call! Not the race committee!

Furthermore, it's his own body of water. So if he's any good at all, he'll pick well and head out to the course in the best possible confluence of conditions for him and his boat. And, unless he's a complete dolt about sailing, he'll probably see a couple of other boats (like yours) on his course on that fine day - going for their times as well.

It's a fixed course. That's the great thing about it. Some days the conditions will favor some boats, other days others. But people can go out and give it a shot any time they want. And it all comes down to the fastest boat (in its category) around those mythical markers at the end of the year.

Where it WILL get sticky is comparing times from a medium course in SFB to a medium course in NYH - but that just means you guys need to pick smart courses to give yourselves the best possible shot. It's all about speed baby...and cunning...and a palatable lack of whining.

Garbage? Au Contraire, Mon Frčre. Only if you sail that way.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-08-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2010

lapworth is on a distinguished road
3rd week in april ? I will run my course before that because after April 15 its trophy season on the bay. My course will be near Thomas Point light house so I will be able to confirm winds with NOAA. I only have 3 sails and I might be solo if that gains any points in the BFS standings.