Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Big Freakin' Global Regatta. Possible?

If you're just starting this thread, things have evolved since this first post:

Here's a link to the current GR courses and rules (note that the sign up stuff does not yet work - just submit your course in this thread for now):
GR courses and rules

Here's a link on how to create your course in Google Earth:
Global Big Freakin' Regatta. Possible?

+++++++++++++++++

Okay, I've got this stupid idea that will probably never work, but it's worth suffering the potential humiliation if it actually could. Because it might be fun.

It's kind of like Nike Plus for sailing.

So you smart guys help me figure this out...

The basic idiotic idea is this:

1. We set up a triangular distance course that we all agree on. Overall distance is "X" - can be any configuration.
2. We project that course onto our chosen bodies of water (Lake Travis, Chesapeake Bay, Lake Superior, San Fran Bay, Sydney Harbor, Tasman Sea, Bay of Biscay, The English Channel, whatever), along with the GPS coordinates of each "mark".

For example, here is a 5 NM course on Lake Travis:

3. We all then start racing our courses whenever we want, and as many times as we want throughout the season - using the GPS coordinates.
4. We then bring our times back, and enter them along with our boat type, etc.
5. We see who the fastest boats are on each respective body of water for each season.
6. The leaders start talkin' trash to the losers.

Okay - start telling me all the reasons this can't work. Then let's do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-27-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Is that 2NM per leg or 2NM total?
Old 02-04-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
2NM total. It's a freakin' river - what can I say?

Seriously, what should it be? If I need to get the Army Corps in here to expand the lake...I'll do it!

Old 02-04-2010
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
So Smacky, how many laps do you propose?
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 02-04-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
2NM total. It's a freakin' river - what can I say?

Seriously, what should it be? If I need to get the Army Corps in here to expand the lake...I'll do it!
2 nm !?! Our boat will just be building up some speed at the end of 2 nm. And it takes us about that far to alter course.

10 nm would be more like it. No need for the corps, you can do 5 laps.

Of course, when boats race, they're supposed to be in the same wind conditions. Otherwise, there's no basis for comparison. But if we get to choose the time and place, there's a twenty knot breeze and a beam reach-broad reach-close reach course that has our name on it.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-04-2010
Last Man Standing

Laps around you while you're struggling to cover those 2NM in your Sabre? Plenty pal! Plenty!

Old 02-04-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Interesting idea you have there. You just need to work out the details. Will you have a "lake" division (your 2NM "short" course) and a "salt water" (longer) course? Then, how do you assign handicaps? Do we race our PHRF certificates? Your "lake" course is only 2/3 of a NM on each leg. Granted, I loose speed in turns (and it's too short to fly a kite for me), but I calculate my corrected time to be under the 20 Min mark.
Old 02-04-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
2 nm !?! Our boat will just be building up some speed at the end of 2 nm. And it takes us about that far to alter course.

10 nm would be more like it. No need for the corps, you can do 5 laps.

Of course, when boats race, they're supposed to be in the same wind conditions. Otherwise, there's no basis for comparison. But if we get to choose the time and place, there's a twenty knot breeze and a beam reach-broad reach-close reach course that has our name on it.
Ay-yay-yay. You're protesting already?

Yes, yes I know about the wind conditions, basis of comparison...blah, blah. That's why this is an ongoing kind of thing - not a single race. That's why you enter all your data into what we call a "database" from which you can pull "data" and compare it!

Think, man, think!

Old 02-04-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Interesting idea you have there. You just need to work out the details. Will you have a "lake" division (your 2NM "short" course) and a "salt water" (longer) course? Then, how do you assign handicaps? Do we race our PHRF certificates? Your "lake" course is only 2/3 of a NM on each leg. Granted, I loose speed in turns (and it's too short to fly a kite for me), but I calculate my corrected time to be under the 20 Min mark.
Agreed on the details. That's why I'm coming to the pros!

Maybe you're right about various courses. I'll try to get 3 out of the lake/river course - for 1NM on each leg. So what should it be for the salt?

As for all the other PHRF stuff - I say we start off by keeping is stupid simple. Take it back to the old days and just make it a free-for-all.

Work with me here!

Old 02-04-2010
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Laps around you while you're struggling to cover those 2NM in your Sabre? Plenty pal! Plenty!
Smack-man, no offense... Like JR there's a need to get up to speed. I know, if I start 2NM from the starting line I should be up to speed by the time I get there. Game On!!!
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD