Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
I thought that you guys just have something against French organized offshore races, but it seems that is not only that. How it is possible that there are no post about this race? The biggest crew circumnavigation race?

It could be because it was boring, but it is just the opposite, it is been incredible!!!

What's wrong with you guys?

Teams are set to receive some relief from the battering, with the westerly winds and short, choppy sea state due to ease...Two of the six boats in the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12 were forced to suspend racing inside the first 24 hours offshore as the teams were beset by brutal sea conditions while still in the Mediterranean.

Well, that's why the old navy French sailors (when the warships were sailboats) called the Med, "la Garce" that means the "bitch"

Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing came back into Alicante under engine this morning after the mast on the team’s racing yacht Azzam had broken in five-metre waves and 30 knots of wind the previous night, just six hours and 85 nautical miles from the start of Leg 1, a 6,500-nm haul to Cape Town.

While Ian Walker’s team were on their way back to the start port, rivals Team Sanya were reporting damage to their hull while sailing upwind in 35-38 knots.

The boat was approximately 30nm southeast of Motril, on the coast of Spain. The wind was blowing 43 knots and the waves were around 10.5 metres, the team reported. They suspended racing and made their way to the port of Motril to assess the damage. Sanya bowman Andy Meiklejohn injured his foot during a sail change and once ashore sought medical advice. Doctors have confirmed his foot is broken.

In a graphic demonstration of the problems all the boats were facing, an interview filmed on board CAMPER with Roberto “Chuny” Bermúdez resulted in the Spaniard being blown to the ground and slammed across deck.

“The Mediterranean sometimes gets like this … but the boat is going fine,” the video shows him saying to camera, just as he is knocked off his feet. Unscathed, he continues the interview below deck.

... Volvo Ocean Race CEO Knut Frostad, who competed in the race four times himself, twice as skipper.

“These are some of the toughest conditions boats can run into in the Volvo Ocean Race but the teams and their shore crews are fully prepared for these types of incidents and they will be working around the clock to get the boats back racing as soon as possible.”

movie:

Brutal wave smashes Abu Dhabi - Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12 - YouTube

Look at the race tracker:

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center

And Groupama with a comlptely different approach. It is going to make the Strait near the African coast. If you go on the middle you can lose 2 to 6K against the current, much less near the coast (I have done that strait 6 times).

The other ones have to cross it while Camas will sail along the coast. I am curious to see if that strategy pays off.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2011

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
I watched all the coverage for the first day. Fantastic stuff. Very hard to find any video of day two.
Old 11-06-2011

You have probably already saw this, but for all that didn't, this is an incredible movie, a long one about the 40 year's story about the race:

Volvo Ocean Race - To The Ends of The Earth - The First 40 Years - YouTube!

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-06-2011

weinie is on a distinguished road
With each boat having a "Media" crew member filming everything, I thought the coverage would have been much better during the long offshore leg. Kinda of a letdown after the great coverage out of Alicante.
Old 11-07-2011

pinayreefer is on a distinguished road
I got hooked early, but haven't posted about it. I got up Saturday for the 0800CDT start, and it was very exciting. Two boats out already, what a beating. I imagine Abu Dhabi will be back, but I wonder about Sanya, hull's aren't quick to fix.
I also wonder why Groupama is going so much slower than the rest of the fleet?
Old 11-07-2011

Good question. I am puzzled with that also.
Old 11-07-2011

mhans is on a distinguished road
Even though Inmarsat is a sponsor, the bandwidth available to the boats is undoubtedly limited. So, we will have to be happy with periodic updates. However, having fixed cameras available 24/7 as webcams would be fantastic. That would definitely be something the organizers should consider for the future.
Old 11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinayreefer View Post
...but I wonder about Sanya, hull's aren't quick to fix.
They are probably out for this leg. But, remember Ericsson 3 in 2009... Major hull work in the Philippines resulted in them pulling into Qingdao as the rest of the fleet was leaving on leg 5. But, after a quick turn around and a departure seven hours after the rest of the boats, they went on to win that leg. Magnus Olssen flopping around on the stage at the award ceremony in Rio is one image I will never forget.
Old 11-07-2011

Eh! Eh! Now Grupama does not seem so much slower (recovered 19nm on the last hours).

After all that different course was a great move. If the other boats continue like that it is going to lead in no time Groupama is making 5K while the others are sitting ducks.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/racetracker/rdc.html

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/das...rt/21/rdc.html

Last edited by PCP; 11-07-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Eh! Eh! Now Grupama does not seem so much slower (recovered 19nm on the last hours).

After all that different course was a great move. If the other boats continue like that it is going to lead in no time
Seems they've been able to take advantage of a little off shore puff. Hope for their sake it lasts... According to the tracker weather, the next couple days are sketchy.