Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011

pinayreefer is on a distinguished road
I see now that Camper has decided to grab the same flow as Groupama. Wondr what the other two will do?!
This is going to be a long 9 months! Already very interesting!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2011

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
How it is possible that there are no post about this race? The biggest crew circumnavigation race?

What's wrong with you guys?
We were too busy following the race to post anything about it!

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Old 11-07-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinayreefer View Post
I see now that Camper has decided to grab the same flow as Groupama. Wondr what the other two will do?!
This is going to be a long 9 months! Already very interesting!!!!
They will stay on that course. They will have wind ahead and they know it. It is possible that Groupama just change course going to the west to get more wind. He would have a better angle, but of course, near the coast it is possible that Groupama have thermal wind that does not show on the wind forecast. Looking at the forecast it looks that if Groupama maintains course it will have less wind than the other more to the west.

I am very curious to see how Cammas that is a master in many different types of racing (and boats) will compare to the ones that have more experience on this race. He is a rookie here....but i bet on him

And the other big race, the Transat, are you not following it? They will get 50K wind and heavy seas tonight!

Cheers

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-07-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2011

pinayreefer is on a distinguished road
Well, Camper decided to cut his losses and head back west. Groupama either sees something ahead or he's caught in a bad line as his speed is now half the others.
Old 11-08-2011

Grupama is making a big gamble. I guess that has to do with the conditions in 48h (play with the weather in the tracker). Till then Groupama will have less pressure but more favorable winds and I guess would lose slightly to the others. If I am seeing right he is pointing to pass near canary Islands and the others near Madeira. After 48 hours the Madeira group will have strong head wind while Groupama will have slightly weaker but better wind and then it will win a lot.

But the timing should be perfect. More complicated for Groupama because it is always easier when you have lots of wind even if it is not pointing in the better direction. Anyway, very interesting. If Cammas can pull this off, it would be brilliant.

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center
Old 11-08-2011

JONROD is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know the tv schedule for the US coverage of the race. The web site says Fox Sports Net is showing weekly updates and coverage of each leg of the race, but I can't find any times or dates for the shows. I don't want to miss any of the race. Thanks for any help.

Rod
Old 11-08-2011

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
You have probably already saw this, but for all that didn't, this is an incredible movie, a long one about the 40 year's story about the race:

Volvo Ocean Race - To The Ends of The Earth - The First 40 Years - YouTube!

Regards

Paulo
Good stuff Paulo, thanks for that.

John
Old 11-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus View Post
Good stuff Paulo, thanks for that.

John
Thanks Jonh,

Guys, it seems that I got it right, while the others are pointing to Madeira, Groupama is going to pass near Canary Islands. Also as I thought, Groupama is losing distance for the others but it seems that they saw it right and that situation I was talking about regarding an advantage in 48h is going to start in about 12h. The Madeira group will have no wind and Groupama will have plenty wind.

As I said, if it works out would be brilliant.

For the ones that don't found out and want to know what I am talking about, go to here:

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center

On the top right click on the clouds and then, (top right) set the weather forecast for + 12h and you will see what I am talking about.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-09-2011

Yes, Groupama is doing what I thought they were doing...and they also confirm my suspicion that they were gambling hard:

"We are on a highway to hell, yes, but along the coast and downwind! And with Morocco just under our eyes, we really feel like this is the start of a round the world trip... But a lonely one, and that really wasn’t planned.

Beause yes, that’s confirmed! The unbelievable scenario we felt could happen yesterday is now taking shape. Our three competitors went for the west, looking for a new weather system. Let’s say we won’t see them again soon!

As far as we are concerned, even though we have no competitor around us, we are running after a tradewind embryo moving with us towards the south. If we manage to catch it, we believe our option could pay. If not, we will have to reduce our consumption of gasoil and food, ‘cause we could stay in the neighbourhood for quite a while...

The atmosphere on board is following a parallel curve to the strength of the wind. Everyone on board has been 100 per cent behind the decision to go south and we are all working hard to make it pay.

Since yesterday evening we have around 10 knots of north-east wind. Rather a good sign.

Yann"

And do you have seen the Episode with the skipper on Camper?

He was being interviewed live, and just when he was saying" ... the med sometimes is like this" a bigger wave and there he goes flying to the other side of the boat

volvooceanracevideos's Channel - YouTube
Old 11-09-2011

mhans is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONROD View Post
Does anyone know the tv schedule for the US coverage of the race. The web site says Fox Sports Net is showing weekly updates and coverage of each leg of the race, but I can't find any times or dates for the shows. I don't want to miss any of the race. Thanks for any help.

Rod
I haven't been able to find anything in NYC. Bit frustrating, really... With hundreds of channels, you'd think one would have it.