Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011

leogallant is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONROD View Post
Does anyone know the tv schedule for the US coverage of the race. The web site says Fox Sports Net is showing weekly updates and coverage of each leg of the race, but I can't find any times or dates for the shows. I don't want to miss any of the race. Thanks for any help.

Rod
I haven't been able to find anything in NYC. Bit frustrating, really... With hundreds of channels, you'd think one would have it.
Check out the live coverage on Livestream. I found it at new.livestream.com so if you can't find it on tv, you'll find when they do the live stuff.
Also, if you have Droid or iPad, iPod, or iPhone, there is an AWESOME Volvo Ocean Race app to easily keep up. Love this app!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve's Ubiquitous Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
The Spanish lead!

The Spanish are leading

They have won 33 nm on the last 24h and are going to win more. They are on a better position than Puma. Nice fight

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center
Old 11-18-2011
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The Spanish are leading

They have won 33 nm on the last 24h and are going to win more. They are on a better position than Puma. Nice fight
Oh come on, they're neck and neck headed south with a lot of room for different approaches on the best way around the south side of the St. Helena high.

Just 'coz Tele's on the east side and the direct line to C-town puts them closer - no body's turning left so quick!

GO PUMA!!
Old 11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
Oh come on, they're neck and neck headed south with a lot of room for different approaches on the best way around the south side of the St. Helena high.

Just 'coz Tele's on the east side and the direct line to C-town puts them closer - no body's turning left so quick!

GO PUMA!!
Well, since I have posted Puma lost more than 20nm and will continue to lose in the next 9 or 10h

Look at the wind!!!

The Spanish have more 2K wind and thatīs a lot in weak winds. That's why Puma is changing course converging with Telefonica.

Of course they are converging only with its wake.

Old 11-19-2011

Quote:

GO PUMA!!
See! Regarding to my last post Puma lost another 20nm over the Spanish and will continue to lose on the next 15 hours. I had not said that to piss you but because I "saw" it.

The same way, I am not posting this to piss you, just to incentive you and the others to play this type of game: To make evaluations on the gains and losses of the several boats based on the given meteorological information.

This is a great way to learn how to use offshore meteo information.

So came on guys, on the top of the race track you have a cloud. Click on it and you will have meteo information for the next 72 hours.

Please make your informed bets!!!

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-21-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Damnit! Puma just lost the rig.

PUMA

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-21-2011
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Damnit! Puma just lost the rig.
Yeah just saw this.

Ken Read says they're not starting their motor, and they're contemplating trying to get 700nm to Tristan da Cunha for potential refit. My question is: are they required to get there under jury rig in order not to DQ from the leg?

Man these O70s are fragile toys....saw a great quote from Paul Cayard back in '04 or so, something to the effect of, "On the W60s you could keep your foot down the whole race and not worry about it, we know these new boats won't allow that." Must be pretty maddening trying to figure out just how much abuse to allow. Didn't sound like things were all that hairy when the stick snapped...
Old 11-21-2011

Quote:
Yeah just saw this.

Ken Read says they're not starting their motor, and they're contemplating trying to get 700nm to Tristan da Cunha for potential refit. My question is: are they required to get there under jury rig in order not to DQ from the leg?

Yes, but they would have to get back to the point where they had started the engine, to sail from there again.

That's a pity, it had been a thrilling race with the Spanish boat. They were recovering when they broke the mast.

I don't know if you saw one day back the Spannish up in the mast, probably going slower while they were tunning their mast in antecipation of the strong winds they have ahead. Maybe Puma was to concentrated on the pursuit to take care. Most of these masts broke not at very high winds but at medium/high winds, don't know why.

Now when they were coming to the point when they go like this:

It would be a spectacle having those two in hot pursuit in high winds!

Let's see what Camper can do. He seems to me in better position to get better and stronger winds. Let's see how much he is going to recover.

Last edited by PCP; 11-21-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Yeah just saw this.

Man these O70s are fragile toys....saw a great quote from Paul Cayard back in '04 or so, something to the effect of, "On the W60s you could keep your foot down the whole race and not worry about it, we know these new boats won't allow that." Must be pretty maddening trying to figure out just how much abuse to allow. Didn't sound like things were all that hairy when the stick snapped...
No kidding. Half the fleet out with serious failures...IN THE FIRST LEG!!!

This is ridiculous.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
No kidding. Half the fleet out with serious failures...IN THE FIRST LEG!!!

This is ridiculous.
I will tend to agree

I guess these boats are passing by the same crisis the Open60 passed some years back while the designers were learning how much could they go with power and weight, making the boat's faster without breaking. At that time the Open60's were fragile boats. I guess they have learned by now.