Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I will tend to agree

I guess these boats are passing by the same crisis the Open60 passed some years back while the designers were learning how much could they go with power and weight, making the boat's faster without breaking. At that time the Open60's were fragile boats. I guess they have learned by now.
It's just mind-boggling. Not even F6 conditions!

Yeah, I'll definitely take the O60 over these new 70s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
It's just mind-boggling. Not even F6 conditions!

Yeah, I'll definitely take the O60 over these new 70s.

I don't know why but race boats like the Open 60 or Volvo tend to break their masts in waves and mid height winds, force 6 as you have said. Maybe because with those winds the mast still has a lot of sail while on big winds they have ir reefed.

When Abu Dabi retired from this leg of the race I found the explanaition quite surrealistic: They have said that was their only mast and that to be properly tuned not to break they need a WEEK and they retire because they were affraid to break the mast again.

Now can you imagine the precision that is needed for that thing to work and be safe? That's why the Spanish were half a day up high on that mast returning it to be sure it won't break. In my opinion problems are with the masts not with the boats.
Old 11-21-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I don't know why but race boats like the Open 60 or Volvo tend to break their masts in waves and mid height winds, force 6 as you have said. Maybe because with those winds the mast still has a lot of sail while on big winds they have ir reefed.

When Abu Dabi retired from this leg of the race I found the explanaition quite surrealistic: They have said that was their only mast and that to be properly tuned not to break they need a WEEK and they retire because they were affraid to break the mast again.

Now can you imagine the precision that is needed for that thing to work and be safe? That's why the Spanish were half a day up high on that mast returning it to be sure it won't break. In my opinion problems are with the masts not with the boats.
Certainly seems to be case.

And I see your point about the sail area vs. conditions. They probably were fully powered. Even so, it really demonstrates the flaw in the design/engineering logic. No way this should be happening.

Old 11-21-2011
Last Man Standing

Well - they're back up to 11 knots with a jury rig, and they look to be breaking east toward Cape Town (not SA).

I would LOVE for them to pull this off!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-21-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2011
Last Man Standing

Puma's withdrawn from Leg 1:

Old 11-21-2011

leogallant is on a distinguished road
Sad indeed! I'm a little concerned now for the remaining rigs as they speed onto SA. You know each boat will have this in the back of their mind all the way in!

Steve's Ubiquitous Blog

Old 11-22-2011

Back on the race: Big winds and record breaking speeds will start in 24h. The Spanish would be taking it with care losing time for Camper and trying to get the boat in on piece to Cap town. Camper also has a lot to lose and its chances to beat the Spanish boat are very few and they should not take big risks. That's the logical assumption but you never know if those guys are driven by logic or by adrenalin

The spectacle will probably be on the French boat were champions should be pissed with the bad result. I bet they are going to get the 24hours record....or brake the boat

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center
Old 11-22-2011

pinayreefer is on a distinguished road
I'm only looking at Passageweather but it seems that Camper is turning too soom to avoid any dead air ahead. Maybe the shorter distance will justify it or maybe they see something I can't. For reasons I don't understand I've been a Camper fan since they had that moment of indecision that has cost them a 100 miles from early on.
Old 11-23-2011

Yes, if the weather information is right it is like a desperate move. Groupama is doing the same. If they can get the same wind as the Spanish team at a lower latitude they cut way and win miles.

But it seems that there is more wind on the Spanish boat course so if the provided weather information proves right they will lose instead of winning. They have been losing time all the way on the last days.

Those two Basques (The skipper Iker and Xavi) are really top sailors with a big attitude. Remember that as a "preparation" for this one they had teamed together on the Barcelona world race circumnavigation and finished that one on 2th.

If they don't break the boat, this leg is for the Spanish

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-25-2011

Outstanding job by the Spanish!!! They could have slowed down but just to be sure they are still winning miles to everybody.

That desperate move by Camper and Groupama did not pay off. They have tried a shorter route and Groupama that was the one that tried the shorter route was the one that had lost more miles.

Take a look at this video, it is an interesting one.

Now the distance from the French boat to the Spanish is about the same as the one from the Spanish boat to cape town. They should make in a bit more than a day. Two days and a halft for the French.