Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Like I said over at SA - this Leg is seriously wanky. Because they're all being picked up by a ship - with obviously a limited time window, they're going to stick together somewhat until the rendezvous. And this means, it's not really a race right now.

It'll be better after Abu Dhabi.

In the mean time...wanky.
That ship thing is crazy. I mean I don't know if you are right regarding someone picking them, they have said so but there is no gate, they are well spread up and certainly it is a race.

The guys from camper seem pretty well beaten up while the guys in Groupama seem quite fresh. It is going to be interesting to see if the fact the French guys are mostly solo sailors with a bigger endurance will bring then an advantage when things become though.

If they are to be picked up it will have to be in some port, but the way they are spread it has to be at a considerable distance from here they are. I would not be surprised if they went to Ceylon or India to be pick up to near Abu Dabi.

I really don't understand why they give the lead to Telefonica. Camper seems to be better placed and Groupama does not seam to be in last

We will see

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
Well, yeah, this leg and leg 3 don't have the length and sea room freedom they oughtta have, so it's a different character. But the short legs do make for tight, intense racing. Once you make a wrong call on a big leg and get a hundred miles or more behind the leader, it becomes a foregone conclusion.

I'm sure they'd rather just dodge the whole thing, but if a wealthy Arabian principality offers a bunch of dough to have your international yacht race stop by for a visit, in a majorly down economy ...
Well, the points are the same, being shorter does not matter, just make it more intense as you say.

A bunch of dough? They have offered more than that, they have contributed with a boat to the race

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-16-2011

Does anybody understand what Cammas is trying to do? I have tried to understand, run the weather forecast back and forward, and I don't get it

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center
Old 12-16-2011
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Does anybody understand what Cammas is trying to do? I have tried to understand, run the weather forecast back and forward, and I don't get it
Find wind to get East as quick as possible, and hope that popping into the new weather system will let them run North fast enough for it to pay off.

Doesn't seem to be working because the system curves SE, so the front is further away from them...
Old 12-16-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It is going to be interesting to see if the fact the French guys are mostly solo sailors with a bigger endurance will bring then an advantage when things become though.
This is a great point. I'd not really thought about that aspect of solo-born endurance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-17-2011

Interesting race with everybody looking for wind

I only started now to see what Groupama wants going so much south, but the advantage will happen only in 30 hours and I don't know if they are going to win enough to compensate, probably not but that is thinking really ahead or it is just me that cannot think a week ahead in what regards weather.

Very tactical and interesting race, like a chess game

Last edited by PCP; 12-17-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2011

afrinus is on a distinguished road
The "Stealth Zone"

What is going to happen in the "Stealth Zone"

I presume they will sail through this irrespective of the pirate dangers?
Will each boat have "protection" from navy/others? Will the positions be reported on the web?
Old 12-17-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrinus View Post
What is going to happen in the "Stealth Zone"

I presume they will sail through this irrespective of the pirate dangers?
Will each boat have "protection" from navy/others? Will the positions be reported on the web?
The entire fleet is going to be loaded onto an armed ship at an undisclosed port they're heading to now - no kidding. They'll then be dropped back into the water for a sprint into AD.

Go to the VOR site and look under News for the Piracy Plan story.

It's completely ridonculous.

SA has a great thread going on about the race. Some of the guys over there are doing some insane math to try to figure out this mystery location.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-17-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2011

I bet that it is in India, probably Thoothukudi.
Old 12-19-2011

Smack, I guess you are right: Those boats are too fragile. Sanya is going to Madagascar for repairs with a lose middle stay and Abu Dhabi has also with problems on the mast fixation.

Jesus they have not even got yet a storm or really bad weather and are already breaking a lot.

Regarding Groupama not bad but I don't know if they will have an advantage. They have less wind but from a slightly better angle. It will be interesting to see if it compensates.

Anyway, great gamble, it will be very interesting to follow. Pity the problem with Sanya, it looked that their strategy was a good one in what regards course and speed.

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.