Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010

NautiGirlB is on a distinguished road
Oops, sorry, two posts came in at once. But, I do have treats
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2010

Part of the problem is, the skipper is not the boat owner, nor is she the helm. There is an incredible young woman who is doing a great job as helm. Skipper is boss. Boat owner is trying to be pit but................. does not have the focus, but wants to learn.
Old 03-26-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Sorry for my confusion, when I said skipper I meant the person issuing the commands in the situation discussed.
No worries, I think you will be able to find another boat. Don't sweat the politics too much.
It's getting late in the opposite corner of the country. G'night.
Old 03-26-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiGirlB View Post

It is not my choice to quit racing. The skipper says she is concerned for the safety of the rest of her crew and that I am dangerous. The cut was so fast and clean that I hardly left any blood on the dock. I was in such a state of shock that I did very little to help myself. I dont really remember the drive home and that is over an hour with three bridges. It is not a nice feeling having 10 women pissed at you.
F**k 'em.

Find another team, and kick some ass. Finishing ahead of the other team is the best revenge.
Old 03-26-2010
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
True to an extent, but I don't think that includes being given improper instructions.
There's something that your skipper needs to be told - "If you issue a command, you are responsible for the outcome". The authority to issue commands carries with it an equal responsibility to make sure the commands are correct and consistent and given to the appropriately trained person.
Eggzackly ...... in any position of authority, in any walk of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Nautigirl, look at it this way -- If you were the captain and had commanded and instructed a new crew member in the same manner you were, would you as captain feel guilt on your part for the accident?
I thought so.
Because we can tell that you have character even after only 25 or so posts. Character shines through in a hurry, even on the internet. Speaking of character, don't be so sure that your former skipper is the grand goddess to every other captain out there. I think she is at least guilty of some poor judgment in your case and I doubt that it is the first time. I'm sure that her competitors are aware of most of her shortcomings. In such a small community, a lot of their crew are probably people she's run off.

PS Yes, Izzy is a real pup with simple pleasures ..... Milk Bone is her favorite.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 03-27-2010

Ahhh, as wonderful as that is for you to say, I have some confidence issues that may be incredibly grating on some people

The skipper I PAID to train with knocked the crap out of me verbally. I am old (47) and trying to get into something that maybe I am not cut out for.

Hell, I will lose weight, train for balance, work hard. But, first and foremost I will be there every practise and every race day. No doubt. My personal schedule is compiled around the races. Significant other knows dont plan anything here!
As I said earlier, the younger and stronger women were coming out to form the team and I became redundant.
Old 03-27-2010

POLKA247 is on a distinguished road
"Vancouver has a VERY small racing community. Maybe 60 boats? If you take a look at the Southern Straits boats registerd, 1/3 are American.
I am ruined. My skipper is a very experienced race with an incredible reputation, her word is gold."

BULLSH___ that just means more people are aware of her and her tactics . You need to buck up. I raced a lot in my twenties in "the bay area" on a lot of boats. ZZ nailed it earlier. I was a nubbie then. I had screamers and abusers. Then I raced with a skipper who was cool under pressure never raised his voice other than to be heard. I had a lot of skippers raise their voice to be heard not in anger which new to the boat crew took offense to. However, the good skipper would make great sandwiches the night before the races and always had beverages of your choosing. I had a few people try and woo me away from the boat, they couldn't. I was dedicated and I learned tons of info from him. Why? Because he educated everyone who was interested. How? All you had to do was listen, every situation we got into he discussed with us prior to making a move. Confidence, that is what he had in him self and his crew.
I'll be doing the Oregon Offshore and maybe see you in Victoria in May. Good Luck.

Last edited by POLKA247; 03-27-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-27-2010

POLKA, you are just spoiled!

Hee hee, Giggles!

Yes, I am a girl

Damn, that's Swiftsure.

Last edited by NautiGirlB; 03-27-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that there were a few things that the could have been done to prevent the accident ahead of time. For instance, on a lot of the lines on my boat, I have stopper knots tied in them to limit their range. If this had been done on the topping lift line, the boom may have dropped, but it would have been stopped before it hit the companionway, and certainly would not have broken it.

In general, most things have a working range of motion that should not be exceeded... dropping the boom to the point where it hits the cabintop is one of those things... They can often be prevented with a little forethought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-27-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Nauti:

We wont make it this year..but If you need a ride for next years Swift-sure I'll take ya!

We aren't really what your looking for race wise but the offer stands...I might be the only Guy on the boat....And I don't yell unless its to warn life, death or dismemberment to a crew...Racing should be fun even if its to win and intense...Find another boat.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.