Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm not surprised you're buying Hello Kitty poptarts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Developed and civilized?

Power Bars completely and utterly suck. Like eating peanut butter flavored particle board. Nothing civilized about that at all...unless you're a beaver.

Put me in the "uncivilized" pop-tart bracket with ZZ. Clif Bars are pretty tasty too.

Have you guys tried these babies?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2010

NautiGirlB is on a distinguished road
Thank you! Great answers. To answer some for you.

I will be sailing on a Bennetau 40.2 with a newly formed (still forming) all women crew.

I have been sailing/racing less than a year and have never done anything like this before. I can deal with the cold and lack of sleep. I am more worried about what the conditions will be and how well, I will handle what I have never experienced before. While I have never been seasick in my life, should I take preventative measures, just in case? They say it will happen to everyone at some point.

I am geared up pretty well clothing wise but do need to invest in safety gear. With a limited budget, what would you buy first? Strobe, tether and whistle or the PFD ( boat has lots)? They both land in about the same dollar range. I pretty much know which way to go but it is always nice to get other opinions.
Old 03-16-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
"With a limited budget, what would you buy first? Strobe, tether and whistle or the PFD ( boat has lots)? They both land in about the same dollar range. I pretty much know which way to go but it is always nice to get other opinions."

Category II race. You need all the above + a harness. Red lensed headlamp and a good knife as others mentioned as well.
Old 03-16-2010

You are correct, Puddin. I forgot the harness. What I meant is the boat has PFD's that I can use for this race and I thought I should invest in all of the other gear first and then buy my own PFD with the next budget allotment. I do have the headlamp and a good knife.

Thanks.

Last edited by NautiGirlB; 03-16-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I like the PFD's w/ a harness built in. By far IMO a tether/harness is the most important piece of safety gear.
Rules number 1,2, and 3 = Stay on the boat. You stay on the boat, a PFD, survival suite, strobe, whistle are never used.

I have a cheaper SOSpenders auto inflate/manual inflate PFD w/ built in harness. There is a strobe and whistle attached to the inside of it.

What position will you have on the boat?
Flash light w/ red lense is good, but a head lamp is the cat's meow. Not a lot of tasks on the boat you can do w/ one hand.
Old 03-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
NautiGirlB—

If you do use a PFD from the boat's gear, check to make sure that the CO2 cartridge is FULLY SEATED. Many PFDs will show it as armed properly, but will not inflate when the CO2 cartridge is partially seated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiGirlB View Post
You are correct, Puddin. I forgot the harness. What I meant is the boat has PFD's that I can use for this race and I thought I should invest in all of the other gear first and then buy my own PFD with the next budget allotment. I do have the headlamp and a good knife.

Thanks.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-16-2010

I am looking at almost 800.00(Cdn dollars) for everything I need. That is middle of the road, nothing high end. 350.00 of that is for the PFD with HIT and harness and then I would still need to buy the rest (minus the harness).

I know that I need to get it but like everyone, the bank account only stretches so far.
Old 03-16-2010

I am working main/pit.
Old 03-16-2010
Telstar 28

Quote:
I am working main/pit.
Congrats... don't forget to bring a digital camera along... photos are always worth taking. The best small digital boat cameras I recommend are the Olympus SW or Tough series. The older ones were the SW series, which got renamed the Tough series.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-16-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am looking at almost 800.00(Cdn dollars) for everything I need. That is middle of the road, nothing high end. 350.00 of that is for the PFD with HIT and harness and then I would still need to buy the rest (minus the harness).

I know that I need to get it but like everyone, the bank account only stretches so far.
Where are you shopping? What does that $800 include?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.