Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010

NautiGirlB is on a distinguished road
That was from West Marine. I am in Vancouver, BC, Canada, so everything gets converted to Cdn dollars. For example, a double ended tether for 149.00 US ends up coming in at around 182.00 plus taxes. We do have some smaller,independent suppliers but generally stuff needs to be ordered in for you. I don't really like shopping that way and there is no time.

The 800 included PFD w/HIT( apparently important in the rainy PNW weather) and harness, whistle, strobe, tether and harness which I will need for this race if I use a boat PFD. I will end up with double harnesses in the end but I just can't swing everything at once.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The dollar's near par now so the differential should be less... but getting the stores to recognize that is tough.

Nice ride! Best wishes on the race, as far as conditions, as I said it's wide open until the best weather forecast comes in closer to the date. There's a pretty good weather briefing at WVYC on the prior Wednesay or Thursday, I believe, so keep an eye out for that.

The way this year is going so far maybe you can just wear shorts and a teeshirt........

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-16-2010

Gary M is on a distinguished road
You might want to get down to the boat and try on the PFD and harness and see how it suits you. If you do not like what is on the boat ask around.
It is OK to buy stuff over time as long as you can borrow.

A Mustang type auto inflate is good and that is what I have but I bought a Salus PFD for my 22 year old son who does bow for someone else

The Salus is what dinghy sailors use and I think has some advantages over the inflatable, also some disadvantages too. Just take a look.

A good strobe, one that is SOLAS approved might be something the boat will not supply so you may want to pick one of those up. I got twolast year for about $85 each.
Old 03-17-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiGirlB View Post
That was from West Marine.
You might check out Steveston Marine for a Mustang MD 3154 (no - I do not have a vested interest.)

Steveston Marine: marine, boating, and fishing supplies

This is a great price.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
NautiGirlB—

Be aware that some of the "safety gear" like strobes, whistles, and such may already be included in your PFD/Harness purchase. For instance, the Spinlock PFDs come with an integrated harness, and are equipped with a whistle and water-activated strobe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
NautiGirlB—

Be aware that some of the "safety gear" like strobes, whistles, and such may already be included in your PFD/Harness purchase. For instance, the Spinlock PFDs come with an integrated harness, and are equipped with a whistle and water-activated strobe.
The MD 3154 and other Mustangs have a whistle (not a huge savings, I have several Fox 40s at home) and a harness; but no strobe. I use an ACR that fits nicely inside the vest.

Do not forget to buy a re-charge kit. The one for the md3154 is expensive - $80.00

The PFD will probably have to be approved in Canada unless you have a spare approved non-inflatable.

Another nice / but not necessary addition to equipment. I have a pouch that holds a rigging knife or leatherman and a maglite; it attaches to the webbing on my PFD. I bought it at MEC,:

Nite Ize Mini Pock-Its - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Last edited by jackdale; 03-17-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Just a side comment to this discussion.. be aware that in Canada, anyhow, the inflatable PFDs only "count" if they are being worn. i.e. - having 4 in the locker with 4 people in the cockpit without pfds means you're not in compliance with the law. If you have another 4 conventional PFDs on board then that's OK.

Not sure if that's the case in the US as well...?

Of course, in the context of this thread wearing the thing is a given!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-17-2010

NautiGirlB is on a distinguished road
Thank you! I really like the Spinlock Deckvest. It has everything and is a reasonable price. Now I just have to find one.
Old 03-17-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
While buying all manner of safety gear may have some merit, it is no less important that you are thoroughly familure with the yacht and what to expect from the master aboard ship during the course of the race. I know of more than one female crew that, because she was female, was expected to be the designated "cook", churning out meals and snacks for the "working crew" (i.e. deck apes) during the course of a race. Needless to say, that was not a welcome assumption and no one ended up happy with the arrangement.

Assuming you will not be assigned only "pink" jobs, you need a good undersatnding of the layout of the yacht--where lines are, etc. Go down to the boat a few daze beforehand if possible and see where things are and then close your eyes and try to visualize where everything is in your mind's eye. If you have the time, do that until you can reach out and touch the mainsheet, vang, and jib sheets as they come off their respective winches with your eyes closed from where ever you're standing in the cockpit. Being able to find the right line, or a jack-line or pad-eye to connect your tether to, in the dark without a night-light, and without falling off the yacht, or planting a portion of your body in a load line is important and even a red "night light" can goof up a helmsman's night vision to some extent so that will be unwelcome.

On the night you are sailing the sun will not set until very late--but it will not rise again until after 0900 on Saturday morning and there will not be a moon for long and not a full moon at that so it will be a very dark night. IF you are blessed with no overcast you'll have a terrific view of the stars and if you are sailing the long course, as you head northwesterly up toward the Sisters along the southwest side of Lasqueti, Cassiopia will appear before your headstay. Unfortunately, tho', at your latitude, your won't be able to follow her for long as she'll be moving further north quite rapidly but she will give you a good heading for awhile. It would be helpful for you to run "Stellarium" or one of the other free Star Programs so you can see what your night sky will look like and what to expect. Likewise it would be wise to study the charts along your course-line so that you have some idea of where marks, aids and lights are and what to look for or expect. You don't have to memorize them of course, but it is helpful.

Frankly, I don't think sailing at night is all that difficult as there is markedly less traffic and lights are easier to see from a distance. One also gets more in tune with the yacht as one's other senses come into play and are not so dominated by sight. The sound of the wind across one's ears, the direction of sway in a seaway... To some extent, I have found that once they become accustomed to the idea that a yacht will osscilate back and forth around a heading, so that the helm really doesn't need a lot of action, women are often better drivers in the dark. My wife, all of 5' and 102#, stands night watches on our boat alone while we're traveling, and does a very good job of it.

N'any case, just a few thoughts...

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiGirlB View Post
Thank you! I really like the Spinlock Deckvest. It has everything and is a reasonable price. Now I just have to find one.
I do not think that they are either USCG or DOT approved.

Binnacle sells them for CDN$326.96. SPINLOCK DECKVEST INFLATABLE PFD VEST Binnacle.com