Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010

NautiGirlB is on a distinguished road
Very good advice. We will have had three all day practises by the time the race rolls around. That gives us time to get to know the boat and each other. We are an all women crew so all the jobs are pink jobs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2010

NautiGirlB is on a distinguished road
I did notice that is was not DOT approved but hoped that because is met the ISAF regulations, that might override the lack of approval. Something that I was going to look into.

I don't think I have enough time to order on-line. I will need to find someone local.
Old 03-17-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
HyLyte: I think Easter is usually pretty close to a full moon... Also the sun should rise a lot earlier than that, surely by 7am (it's already twilight before 7 this morning).
Old 03-17-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

Frankly, I don't think sailing at night is all that difficult as there is markedly less traffic and lights are easier to see from a distance. One also gets more in tune with the yacht as one's other senses come into play and are not so dominated by sight. The sound of the wind across one's ears, the direction of sway in a seaway... To some extent, I have found that once they become accustomed to the idea that a yacht will osscilate back and forth around a heading, so that the helm really doesn't need a lot of action, women are often better drivers in the dark. My wife, all of 5' and 102#, stands night watches on our boat alone while we're traveling, and does a very good job of it.

N'any case, just a few thoughts...

FWIW...

svHyLyte, While there's less traffic, it's not at all unusual to have logs and a good deal of other junk in the water, particularly in combination with rainfall, snowmelt, etc... It's not a place where one ever really 'relaxes' in a boat at night. And indeed, the sun rises much earlier than you mention (and sets earlier... it's not summer yet! )
Old 03-17-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Three small additions:
A "Croakies" or other strap to retain your glasses, or sunglasses, if you wear them. If things get busy and a sail or line whips your face, your glasses are gone without it.
Chapstick with sunblock, regardless of weather.
And, a pair of sailing gloves. Before you look at the "sailing" gloves, see if a hardware store has a pair of yellow Kevlar knit gloves in your size. They are used for handling broken glass and trash. Cut-proof, wear like iron, and you can let a line slip through them with total control--because they don't chafe. they used to be available as sailing gloves, but seem to have gone off the US market.
If you are using an inflateable PFD? TEST IT. Blow it up with the oral tube (or better, a vacuum cleaner or air pump) and let it set overnight, to make sure there are no leaks, not even slow ones. That's part of routine inspection once you own one. If you blow it up, you get bacteria and moisture in it, so there are reasons not to orally inflate it, or at least, do so infrequently.

Last edited by hellosailor; 03-17-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
April 4 moon - Point Atkinson

Moon rises 2:00 am
Moon sets 9:49 am

Last quarter - April 6
New Moon - April 13

Sunset 7:46 pm (Apr 3)
Sunrise 6:46 am (Apr 4)

(info from TideTool)

Some tactical / strategic comments

Get a copy of Expedition race software (at least the trial version). Tie it into your instruments and get the grib files. It can provide an optimal course based on your polars.

If not Expedition:
- the Current Atlas is a must
- SailFlow (SailFlow.com - HI-Hawaii Wind Data) can provide great forecasts; it also has tides and currents. It is a subscription service.
- GribUS (GRIB.US > Home) is an OK wind forecaster, but lacks detail. It is free.
- check out the weather fax (Northeast Pacific WX Briefing Package) to get a sense of what might be coming in.

In the end the tactician and skipper still have to use their own judgment.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 03-17-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
- the Current Atlas is a must
Even for raises in the central Strait of Georgia?

Quote:
- SailFlow (SailFlow.com - HI-Hawaii Wind Data) can provide great forecasts; it also has tides and currents. It is a subscription service.
Unfortunately often "the model is down" or some such thing. Also recommend bigwavedave.ca and windfinder.com for location-specific wind data.

Quote:
- check out the weather fax (Northeast Pacific WX Briefing Package) to get a sense of what might be coming in.
A real cool set of maps to get used to watching in the days leading up to any sail... recommend Wind Came from All Ways to go along with it. Tells you what you can expect, given terrain and pressure gradients. Metrotown Library has a copy; I know cuz I just returned it
Old 03-17-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
HyLyte: I think Easter is usually pretty close to a full moon. Also the sun should rise a lot earlier than that, surely by 7am (it's already twilight before 7 this morning).
Oop's!! Yes Adam, you are exactly correct. I failed to adjust Stellarium for the GMT offset correctly (-8 rather than my current -5 hours). Dumb--Very Dumb (a failing of advancing age I guess). As for the moon, while it will rise at around 0100 plus change on the 3rd, it will at an azimuth of roughly 130º T after which it will only reach an elevation roughly 15º above the horizon at roughly 180º T at about 0500 (on the 3rd) before decending back into the sea at roughly 230º by about 0855. Of course the sun should break the horizon at about 0630 on the 3rd so the moon is irrelevant at that point if not by 0600. Despite all the foregoing, in my view the moon will not reach an elevation sufficient to provide much assistance given the course steered during the race, nor to obsure the stars, provided there is no cloud cover but that is, of course, a subjective judgement. These are matters for the young lady to be aware of, however, no?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-17-2010

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
Three observation from distance races:
1. When you are off duty, you job is to be resting. When you come on deck you should be fresh. Sleep as much as you can. If you waste an opportunity to sleep you will not be able to make it up. Wear a sleep mask.
2. Before you leave the dock know exactly where you will stow your gear. Don't put gear any other place. This particularly important for your PFD-harness. They are uncomfortable to sleep in. Groping in the dark they all feel the same. If you don't know exactly where yours is you'll end up donning somebody else's gear -- a bloody great nuisance when you're scrambling to get on deck. The other will not be amused.
3. Avoid tea and coffee which tend to dehydrate you. Steaming hot jello will warm you without the diuretic effect.
Old 03-17-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Avoid tea and coffee which tend to dehydrate you."
That was formally debunked last year. There were extensive studies about the role of caffiene and caffienated drinks, and the studies came up saying there's no longer any basis to worry about them.
Very much the way everyone said "use margarine not butter, butter is bad for your heart" until the late 80's, when they turned around and said "use butter, it is better than the transfats and hydrogenated oils used for substitutes!"
Steaming hot jello might also be a problem because of the large SUGAR LOAD it throws at your system. Or not, if it is sugar you are needing.