SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Racing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/)
-   -   First Overnight Race (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/62812-first-overnight-race.html)

NautiGirlB 03-12-2010 03:46 PM

First Overnight Race

First Southern Straits Race and I am wondering what to expect. How to prepare.

smackdaddy 03-13-2010 09:38 AM

Hey nauti - welcome to SN, sista.

Several longtime racers around here. They'll help you out.

What's your ride?

Faster 03-13-2010 10:31 AM

Welcome, Nautigirl - always happy to see another BCer on the board.

What to expect for Souther Straits?..... COLD!
Seriously, this race can dish up anything and everything. Like any venue we've had drifters, gear busters, mass retirements and withdrawals, and once in a while incredibly beautiful moonlit sailing.

Being tied to Easter means that one year to the next it may be as much as a month earlier in the year compared to another year, so that's a factor too in what you might expect.

Depending on your ride, take plenty of easy-to-eat snacks, dress in layers with extras/dry clothes if you're not limited in what you can bring. At some point you'll probably spend a lot of time on the rail as at least one leg is likely to be a long beat.

Long course or Short course? Big difference in the time you might expect to be out there. Big/Fast boat or standard midsize PHRF racer/cruiser? These are all factors that will influence your experience.

Like most everyone you'll probably say 'never again' at some point, only to show up the next year anyway. Have fun!

jackdale 03-13-2010 05:32 PM

One of my favourite night sailing aids is a headlamp with a red lens - available at MEC.

Gary M 03-14-2010 11:46 AM

What is MEC ? I would like to get one but most are way too bright and a red lens would be good.

jackdale 03-14-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary M (Post 580587)
What is MEC ? I would like to get one but most are way too bright and a red lens would be good.

MEC = Mountain Equipment Coop

The American equivalent is REI.

My LED is adjustable and the red filter drops over the lens.

Great for chart work and working on deck.

Jack

paulk 03-14-2010 10:18 PM

I would second everything Faster said. It will be colder than you would believe possible. Take your ski hat and fleece gloves (they dry out quickly) as well as lots of dry socks. If it rains, clear-lensed ski goggles can be nice to have. A personal flashlight (DON'T shine it aft, into the helmsman's eyes!!!) can also be handy.

jackdale 03-14-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulk (Post 580834)
A personal flashlight (DON'T shine it aft, into the helmsman's eyes!!!) can also be handy.

The flashlight should also have a red lens.

BubbleheadMd 03-15-2010 10:12 AM

One word:

Coffee.

jackdale 03-15-2010 10:32 AM

Lots of equipment suggestions. I assume that you have a the requisite pdf, harness and tether.

You should be able to work around the boat at night. That means being able to work with the lines in the dark: coiling, flaking, tying and untying knots, etc..

Check the charts for the course and use the light list so that you can identify aids to navigation. The ones that are in the vicinity of Nanaimo-Parksville and Vancouver are hard to pick out against the lights of the cities. A couple of sets of eyes are often necessary.

What role are you playing on the boat?

I had an offer, but I had to turn it down. Have a get ride.

Jack