Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Interesting question. Over a number of boats including my own, it seems that the #2 is one of the least used sails in a race inventory. We have an old one that gets used for cruising, but little else. It certainly has its place when sailing short handed in winds that we could easily carry the heavy #1 if fully crewed.

I'd guess that most sail makers will steer you toward a light #1, AP/heavy 1, and a #3 for headsails.

And the Scampi... cool boats! I imagine they're a little tender initially, but stiffen up as the rail gets near the water, no?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The light and a med to heavy #1 is probably the best option. I'm close, as reality is, my 155 is med to heavy in wt, best in 5-6knot or above to about 15-20 as mentioned above. When I ordered the Ullman fiberpath 155, I also ordered a drifter, ie a 130% sail made of 1.5ox spin cloth, works great in the 1-5 knot range, then sorta up to 6 maybe 7, but in the 5-7 knot range, the 155 will pull better than the drifter.

You may want something equal to both of what I described, or something as the others have described. I was surprised how often I use the drifter..........altho the 155 is used the most, drifter, then 110 for racing.

Marty
Old 03-25-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Didn't the Scampi design win big at Cowes, or the half-ton (or whatever ton) championship when it first came out? Look up the inventory they used then. I would think sailing in Narragansett Bay & Block Island Sound means you'll have enough wind to use a #2 frequently while racing. The longer the legs, the more sense it will make, so it does depend upon the kind of racing you enjoy.
The Scampi won the World Half Ton Cup in 1968, 1970 and 1971. In 1972 a Scampi took 2nd (and others 4th and 5th) in the North American Half Ton Cup. Sadly, knowledge about exactly how this all happened, with what crews and sails, is very hard to come by.

All that said, those were most likely European built boats. Some time right around then, someone decided that Scampi would sell well here in the US, so they started a company called Solna Marine (named for the town in Sweden where the Scampi's were built), brought a set of molds over and began building them at the Navy base in Newport, RI. As an interesting aside, which seems a harbinger of the company's fate, I was told that the first set of molds brought over fell off the truck while crossing one of the bridges, and had to be replaced with new ones from Sweden.

Of course the people at Solna made a few changes. I am told that someone decided the boats would sell better if they were enhanced for cruising, so a little more free board was added to make the cabin bigger.

To make matters worse, my Scampi has a non-standard rig. I learned after I bought the boat (too late - or I would have thought better of it) that my mast has only one set of spreaders where all the other US built Scampi's have two, and my mast seems to be 2 feet taller. It looks like this rig change is original because of the way the mast step seems original, but I have no idea.

Most likely it has the same keel. So that makes me wonder if the extra height will make it impossible to sail the boat correctly. Although I might be able to find a shorter rig, again I didn't know this before I ordered new sails, and I don't want to throw new sails and a rig away. The boat did very well in light air last season, which was the majority of evening races. So I guess the extra height was a benefit there. I'm thinking I can improve (if not solve) the problem with a smaller head sail in winds over 10 knots true.

I did speak with Steve O'Connell at Evolution, and he suggested a heavier, flatter genny, maybe at 145%, for winds over 10 to 12 knots true. But that's probably just an educated guess, and I thought I would ask and see what other people do with their properly equipped boats. I asked Steve if his designer's software can help estimate how much smaller a sail I might need based upon the extra height but he has not answered yet.

So that's the entire sad story. If I can find a way to keep the boat flat in moderate and heavy air, I can probably do well with it. But my boat design skills (or lack thereof) are not up to the task.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Jarcher - this may interest you.

In light of the Scampi's success in the early 70s a North Vancouver boat builder produced a somewhat 'cruisified' and otherwise modified variation, marketed as the Evetts 31. The link below is one currently for sale on Craigslist.

31' IOR Sailboat - Divorce forces sale

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Jarcher - this may interest you.

In light of the Scampi's success in the early 70s a North Vancouver boat builder produced a somewhat 'cruisified' and otherwise modified variation, marketed as the Evetts 31. The link below is one currently for sale on Craigslist.

31' IOR Sailboat - Divorce forces sale
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2010

After discussions with the sailmaker, it looks like we're going with a heavish, flat 140%. The 155% I have is a medium to light all purpose that he says is goo to about 15 or so knots apparent. The new one should take me to 22 knots apparent if i want to push it that far. Then there is the existing 95%.

Hopefully I'll keep the boat flatish this season!