Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
I was motoring down a narrow part of the Swinomish Channel with a cross current by Goat Island, I moved to the side of the channel to give space for a large motor yacht, I was in about 10' of water with 4'5" draft.

Unfortunately there were pilings that were not 10' under the surface, by a large margin.

My girlfriend, who was in the head at the time, slammed her head into the mirror as the keel rested on top of the old rotten pilings.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
I left a cup of thinner with a brush full of blue oil paint in it on the cabin top. No explanation needed.
Old 03-30-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Most of these stories really belong in the Most Boneheaded Moves thread of which I am a great contributor.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seaman...tml#post169056

However, while racing I have had some fun like:

1. Hoisting the spinnaker upside down. The skipper was not happy.
2. While in a death roll, the spinnaker pole blew off the top of the pole track because I hadn't secured it very well. So the pole was flying around unsecured threatening to punch a hole in the main and the whole boat was rolling wildly threatening to broach. We retired from the race.
3. My crew (who shall remain nameless) forgot to secure the spinnaker turtle hoist line and it became stuck in the first set of spreaders. It was an overnight race, so I had to go aloft in the dark. The scenery was pretty from up there.
4. Barging the line with only a boat width + 3" to spare between us, the next competitor, and the committee boat. We were disqualified, but it was fun. I'd do it agan just to watch their faces.
5. The worst - watching a competitor in our class pole out their jib with a boathook, not protesting, and losing to them on corrected time. Now that makes me mad!

Last edited by Sabreman; 03-30-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
accidental gybe while under chute and having the boom hit my friend in the head. I don't let newbies drive under the kite anymore. Its a good things he has a really hard head.
Old 03-30-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
5. The worst - watching a competitor in our class pole out their jib with a boathook, not protesting, and losing to them on corrected time. Now that makes me mad!
What rule did this violate? Actually sounds pretty clever, a boat hook is a lot cheaper than a wisker pole!

One race last season we were short a crew member, the one who usually keeps time at the start. So we were sailing around the starting area and started our 5-minute countdown right at the right time, or so we thought!

The starting gun went off and we thought it was the 1-minute signal, so while the rest of the fleet headed to the windward mark we kept sailing down the line. The race committee just couldn't take it after a bit, and one member stood up on the committee boat and started waiving his arms toward the mark yelling "GO! GO!" We figured it out.

At the awards banquet, I was given a special award for that! LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2010

DrB will become famous soon enough
Lousy Sailing Skills

Before I tell my story, my boat is a Pearson 10M which is mostly genoa powered compared to the main. Okay now back to my story.

So I am on a J105 and the main trimmer. Winds are up up in the 15 to 20 kt range and we were beating to the next mark. Boat is riding the rail in and out of the water and in and out of weather helm.

We are on a port tack and another boat is coming on a starboard tack. Boats were an estimated 20 seconds apart, when I say to the captain that we are on a collision course with the starboard boat. Cap'n says no we are not to which I reply, I have been watching for the last 10 seconds and pretty sure we are. Cap'n says no we'll easily pass behind them.

Fast forward 15 seconds and the bowman screams that we are going to hit. Cap'n says we're going to turn and quick duck behind them. He quickly turns the wheel, but the boat continues straight. As luck would have it, we do JUST pass behind them; our bow literally inches from hitting their port stern quarter panel.

Okay the heart rates come down and then the Cap'n starts reaming me another butt hole saying that I almost caused a crash and damage to his and the other boat. Stunned, I say I told you that we were on a collison course with plenty of time to alter the course safely. He then said I was an incompent sailor because when he said "ducking", I should have released the main, it's basic sailing. The mood soured quickly after that I wanted off the boat immediately.

Back at the mooring, I was still pissed but he had calmed down and said that he had so much weather helm that until I released pressure on the main, he had no turning power. Basically he used the rudder as a brake.

On my boat, I said, even if I have a a decent amount of weather helm, I can still turn the boat without releasing the main; although releasing it makes it easier. I later learn that the J105 is mostly powered by the main and has a smaller spade rudder, compared to the 10M's larger skeg rudder. These mean that you really pay attention to the main during course changes.

He did allow me back. I haven't made that mistake again.

DrB
Old 03-31-2010
Banned

SW329xl is on a distinguished road
This did not happen during a race, but figured I would share it anyway. While ducking under the main to check the genoa, I slipped just as the boat hit a wake from a passing stinkpot. The combination of events brought my left eye into contact with the end of the winch handle. This left me with a perfectly shaped black eye, looked like a makeup artist put it on. I spent much of the next two weeks trying to convince people that I was not in a bar fight.
Old 03-31-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I've found that if you ever get a black eye, just say "the other guy looked worse". Doesn't matter how you got it, by the end of the day all your co-workers are going to call you Rocky anyway. Have some fun w/ it.
Old 03-31-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
What rule did this violate? Actually sounds pretty clever, a boat hook is a lot cheaper than a wisker pole!
It violates ISF rules 50.2 and 50.3. Basically, if you want to sheet something out, it must be through a pole attached to the mast. Otherwise, it's considered an outrigger and that's expressly prohibited by 50.3 except for the 2 cases indicated.

Quote:
50.2 Spinnaker Poles; Whisker Poles
Only one spinnaker pole or whisker pole shall be used at a time except when gybing. When in use, it shall be attached to the foremost mast.

50.3 Use of Outriggers
(a) No sail shall be sheeted over or through an outrigger, except as permitted in rule 50.3(b) or 50.3(c). An outrigger is any fitting or other device so placed that it could exert outward pressure on a sheet or sail at a point from which, with the boat upright, a vertical line would fall outside the hull or deck planking. For the purpose of this rule, bulwarks, rails and rubbing strakes are not part of the hull or deck planking and the following are not out- riggers: a bowsprit used to secure the tack of a working sail, a bumkin used to sheet the boom of a working sail, or a boom of a boomed headsail that requires no adjustment when tacking.
(b) Any sail may be sheeted to or led above a boom that is regularly used for a working sail and is permanently attached to the mast from which the head of the working sail is set.
(c) A headsail may be sheeted or attached at its clew to a spinnaker pole or whisker pole, provided that a spinnaker is not set.
Old 03-31-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

The worst was on the way to a race the day before LOT of mistakes

1.Before 99 buck GPS

2. leave to late

3. Out in Peconic Bay there is SO much shore light polution seeing flashers is HARD .

4. Not enough flashlights

5. Compass light burns out

6.Failed to bailout when we could have in safe place

7. FIND SANDBAR

8. now it gets better

9. plenty of anchor and rode SO with GOOD life jacket walk out with anchor and then winch boat off sandbar

10> Get smart and do best thing stay anchored till dawn

NOW we had charts fully marked with the real bearings and times taken on the many times we did it in daylight BUT the firts time night trip was much harder than planed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat