Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post

...the heart rates come down and then the Cap'n starts reaming me another butt hole saying that I almost caused a crash and damage to his and the other boat. Stunned, I say I told you that we were on a collison course with plenty of time to alter the course safely. He then said I was an incompent sailor because when he said "ducking", I should have released the main, it's basic sailing.

... I haven't made that mistake again.

DrB
Yup, the skipper was right, but his mistake was not noticing you NOT uncleating the main sheet. Even with a crazy experienced main trimmer on the boat, I'll usually say something like, "we'll duck... main sheet's ready to easy?" etc.... I'll call the ease as I bear away. Ducking is normal practice, but everyone has to be on the same page. Skipper must be VERY clear about the timing and sequence. The jib trimmer will be down doing their thing concurrently. Done correctly, a good close duck is a rush!

And as you said, the mistake hasn't been repeated!

.. Early mistake. As a kid, I was sailing with a friend in an O'day widgeon. We were docking after a few rounds of racing, and I came in a bit too fast. My friend went forward to fend. He used his hands instead of feet and got his thumb smashed between the dock and the boat... I felt awful for days.

Also did a crummy what I thought was a half-hitch, and turned around to see the boat (this time an FJ) floating away from the dock.

More recently, a friend (the skipper of a 120' motor yacht) and I were pulling up to dock next to his boat. We weren't really paying much attention and at the last moment realized we had to climb up on large tractor tires that were bolted to the dock to get to the cleats. Yeah, short dock lines, the blow off side of the dock, and upwind from his 120'er where lunch was waiting for us... came about 3 heart beats from losing control and drifting quickly into the big boat. Yes, we had both jumped off my boat on to the dock with lines that were a good bit shorter than we ideally needed. Of course we hadn't put a couple of fenders over the other side 'just in case'. Didn't think that this kind of simple error was in the realm of possibility. We were sure were close to having to explain a lot of potential cosmetic damage to the owner. It was just plain luck, not skill, that we managed keep my boat in control, but only at the very last possible moment... Lot's of dicey moments jumping back and forth getting longer lines together. Rule one, no matter what or who you're sailing with or on, talk the docking strategy through and have a 'plan B' for the odd chance that things go south.

And one more... Calling for a spin hoist when it wasn't my job, kite goes up early, fills, we start going sideways and hit the windward mark... have to do our turns while watching a bunch of boats sail by. Ouch.... Owner/skipper not pleased. Mast man not pleased... matter of fact, everyone pretty unhappy. yup... that's the emoticon that sums it all up pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
It violates ISF rules 50.2 and 50.3. Basically, if you want to sheet something out, it must be through a pole attached to the mast. Otherwise, it's considered an outrigger and that's expressly prohibited by 50.3 except for the 2 cases indicated.
Okay, thanks. But if someone used a boat hook as a wisker pole - one connected to the mast and the other the clue, then from the reading of the rule, the boat hook essentially becomes a wisker pole, yes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Jarcher, yes. As long as the "wisker" pole isn't longer than your J dimension. Some are telescoping and huge. Judging from your pic, you'd have to go out of your way to find a boat hook longer than your J dim.
Old 04-01-2010

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
20 years ago there were 4 of us racing in our first Mills Race. The Mills is a night race around several islands in Lake Erie. This was our first night race and we were racing the 38 mile JAM course. It was pretty much before GPS and we didn't have a Loran. The race starts out in light air and we are forced towards the Michigan shore line. A lake freighter charging through the fleet separates us from all of our competitors. Fortunately we catch a shore breeze that our competitors don't get. We are flying to the north while our competitors sit several miles offshore. For some reason the compass light quit working so our only instrument was the knotmeter. The crew spotted the 4 second green flashing buoy in the distance which are charts said was on Middle Sister Island. We sailed towards it for about an hour when we realized that it couldn't be in the right place. Taking sights off the Monroe power plant we realized we were heading at the outer channel buoy for the Detroit river which is way northwest instead of Middle Sister island to the northeast. We calculated that we were at least 3 miles north of the island. We tacked and slowly made our way east. Long story short, we ghosted along for hours in a light fog. My buddy and I took a nap down below while our wives steered. In the morning we planned to motor in to the finish at Put-in-Bay and be a bit embarrassed by our navigation error. As the fog started to lift we notice that we were in the company of a couple of 40 footers. Heartened, we decided to keep sailing as we were probably not going to be last on corrected time. Finishing around 9:00am we figured that there wouldn't be much in the way of dock space. Boy, were we wrong. There was no one at the docks save the 2 40 footers who finished in front of us.

Bottom line is that the whole division of about 50 boats got caught in a hole at Middle Sister Island and sat there for 6 hours. Our brilliant navigation, or lack of it, caused us to sail an additional 7 miles as we unknowingly sailed around the hole and kept moving. I thanked my brilliant navigator at the awards ceremony as I picked up a flag for first in class and 2nd overall. We corrected out over the second place boat in class by about 3 hours. Needless to say I've never been that misguided, unfortunate, or fortunate in a race again.
Old 04-01-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
You have to check your LOCAL rules

In Northport there is no lenth on wisker poles out east a bit your limited to your J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-01-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Jarcher, yes. As long as the "wisker" pole isn't longer than your J dimension. Some are telescoping and huge. Judging from your pic, you'd have to go out of your way to find a boat hook longer than your J dim.
My spinnaker pole is limited to my J unless I want to take a penality, which of course is not worth it. My J dimension is just shy of 12 feet, something like 11.85 feet. I don't have a wisker pole so i never looked it up, but I was thinking of geting one. Glad you mentioned this, thanks! You saved me from having another mistake to post in this thread

Old 04-01-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I keep the tiller tied off when docked, on the side farther from the dock. I tie it in a different crazy way each time, usually using a traveler line. A couple of days ago I started to motor away from the dock before I remembered to untie the tiller.
Old 04-01-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
You have to check your LOCAL rules
Absolutely. I was quoting the ISF rules because that we follow. Also, I agree that you can take any sort of pole and attach it to the mast and clew and it becomes a whisker pole as long as the J isn't exceeded. On our pole, we have a mark at the max telescoping point that can not be exceeded. This makes the overall length equal to the J. Otherwise, our pole can quickly become a spin pole. I didn't want to get into all the details and muddy my answer.

Sorry if I was unclear.
Old 04-03-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The whisker pole length here in PHRF-NW where I race is J length or 80% of LP. So on my 155, I can mover the WP to about140% of J, with a 120 or smaller, I can use the J mark on my pole, I have marks on my WP for the 155, 140, 130 and J.

Here is my small, " here hold my beer watch this" fun a year ago rounding a mark in a race!

Marty
Old 04-03-2010
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Does crashing into the RC boat while trying to be clever and sail past nice and close to get a coffee from them count?
Wasn't me at the helm, all I could do was duck at the appropriate moment

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.