Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010

NautiGirlB is on a distinguished road
Mistakes! We all make them....right?

Having just spilled my guts in the First Overnight Race thread, I was wondering what kinds of mistakes others have made.

First, biggest or most serious. Funny mistakes, if there is such a thing.

As a newbie, I know that I could learn from hearing from you and maybe others could too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
First sail with my current boat, also first sail on a boat larger than a Mirror dinghy- I had the whisker pole clipped to the lifelines, (mistake 1)and had the genny sheets run inside the shrouds instead of outside (mistake 2). First tack, the windward sheet proceeds to unclip the whisker pole and dump it over the side while the lee sheet simultaneously removes the boathook from the lifeline clips on it's side.
The $10 boathook floated until I could retrieve it.
The $200 whisker pole sunk immediately.
Old 03-27-2010

NautiGirlB is on a distinguished road
Ok, BJ please speak to me. What the heck is a whisker pole? Yes, I have heard of it before but have no idea what it is or does
Old 03-27-2010

POLKA247 is on a distinguished road
Whisker pole is for head sail down wind sailing, with no spinnaker.

I got one for ya. Years ago when I was starting out. The skipper ran aground in some muck just outside the harbor. He asked some one to bend two lines together for a tow rope. We decided to use the spinnaker sheets for lenght. I jumped at the opportunity "to make a name for myself" and fix my position as crew on board. Well I tied a knot. The only knot I know that would hold. Thanks to boy scouts. We got pulled off and the skipper checked the lines and the knot. The first time I had ever heard him yell in anger! "Who the Hell tied this!!" Needless to say I spent the time headed to the starting line getting the square knot untied. Since that day I can only tie a bowline.
Old 03-27-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Some years back I was approaching a marina on bumpy seas, somewhere on the west Med. The sails were already down and I went forward to fix a mooring cable. The boat jerked more vigorously and I grabbed the first taught line for some support. It was the Genoa sheet….that could not support my weight and I was thrown to the boat rail were I was stuck in a very undignified position, with the feet and legs inside, my back outside, hanging there by the hands. I was holding firmly, but it was difficult to get back on my feet.

The rest of the crew (my wife and two sons) only gave me a hand after having some laughs at my expenses.

Last edited by PCP; 03-27-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good to see your crew has their priorities straight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Some years back I was approaching a marina on bumpy seas, somewhere on the west Med. The sails were already down and I went forward to fix a mooring cable. The boat jerked more vigorously and I grabbed the first taught line for some support. It was the Genoa sheet….that could not support my weight and I was thrown to the boat rail were I was stuck in a very undignified position, with the feet and legs inside, my back outside, hanging there by the hands. I was holding firmly, but it was difficult to get back on my feet.

The rest of the crew (my wife and two sons) only gave me a hand after having some laughs at my expenses .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-27-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLKA247 View Post
... The skipper ran aground in some muck just outside the harbor. ... The first time I had ever heard him yell in anger! "Who the Hell tied this!!"
A skipper who puts his boat aground has no business yelling at a crew member for using the wrong knot!

Last edited by jarcher; 03-27-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2010

POLKA247 is on a distinguished road
He was distracted at the time in a narrow unmarked channel, that badly needed dredging, allowing for overtaking boats to pass and missed the turn. He was, however, the best skipper I had and learned a lot from him and hold him in high regard.
Old 03-30-2010

Dulcitea is on a distinguished road
I have made so many dumb mistakes its hard to chose.

My most expensive mistake involved my "new" boat. It was a step up from my dingy which did not have spreaders. It was a nothing beer can race. I was singlehanding. I was pretty far out ahead and feeling pretty full of myself. It is true: the fall is precedth by pride.

To increase my lead even more, I cut too close to the channel marker and my shrouds were ensnared. The wind was about 20 knots and the fast moving tide was working against me. I did not have wire cutters on board. That would have been too smart.

I watched all the racers past me. Many were smiling. Some ignored me. Only the last-place boat offered to help.

I realized two things: (1) I was middle-aged; i.e., I was no longer that girl that could expect to be innudated with offers of masculine assitance and (2) It is better to be last and kind than first and self-absorbed.

I keep forgetting the second. So I continue to do lots of stupid things on my boat.
Old 03-30-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
I revved my outboard too high, and broke the shear pin dropping it into gear just as I was entering the locks. Thinking that the shift linkage had broken, I jammed around on the shift lever, hoping that it would reengage by an act of god.

I replaced the shear pin later, but only to find that I actually had done enough damage to the shift linkage by gorilla grunting it, that it had to be replaced later.

Then I sold the boat!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.