Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010

RaptorAT is on a distinguished road
Spinsheet is the Chesapeake bay's Sailing Magazine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorAT View Post
Spinsheet is the Chesapeake bay's Sailing Magazine.
Thanks... If someone took the time and expense to put an add in a magazine offering themself as crew, I would be impressed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-29-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
when i was living in chicago i found a friend of a friend who had a boat and did the beer can races out of belmont harbour. they were in classes, so while he was fairly recreational it got me some face time in front of the more experienced crews, then socialize at the bar after... after a while people get to know you...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 03-29-2010

RaptorAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
Thanks... If someone took the time and expense to put an add in a magazine offering themself as crew, I would be impressed!
You misunderstand, people do not take out ads they do crew listings or boat listings. The sailing magazine hosts a rather nice crew listing service. Check it out
SpinSheet - Crew Listings

Basically you can search for a boat or crew based on experience, boat size, ect. It is useful but not as useful as just simply getting to know sailors that race.
Old 03-29-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
SpinSheet has a crew finder party every year, and used to, and I assume still has a 'crew exchange' on their website, where boats that need crew, and crew who need boats can get together.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 03-29-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Yeah - but do you really want to be the poor schlubs with no pfds out on the "crewtapult"? Dog, what would you tell these fellows regarding safety?

PS - Is this the poor man's canting keel?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-29-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
see her name? lol.... safety?!? its a mystery

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 03-29-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
O.K. I tried to post on spin sheets with people who said they need crew then when I say I would like too crew litttle or no responce. If you guys want new racers, well you have to help us when we ask to get involved.
It sounds like they're having a kick off the season crew party. From their site:

The SpinSheet Crew Listing Parties will take place April 18 at the Annapolis Maritime Museum from 4 - 6 p.m. and April 3 at Marker 20 in Hampton. Stay tuned for details.

Just sounds like you're a little early is all.

Lot's of good advice on the thread, particularly pursuing the weekday evening beer can races as a way to find rides. This works particularly well if it's blowing 15+... everyone wants rail meat. Start from there and work your way up.
Old 03-29-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah - but do you really want to be the poor schlubs with no pfds out on the "crewtapult"? Dog, what would you tell these fellows regarding safety?

PS - Is this the poor man's canting keel?

I'm not a dog, but I have a nice one! Safety? I'd tell these folks absolutely nothing. They're big boys and girls that are sailing very old boats that have done it this was long before we were born. I think they can take care of themselves. I'd happily sit out there with them w/o a pfd. The water's warm as is the weather.
Old 03-29-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey, I actually think it looks fun. Well as fun as sitting on a plank of wood can be.

I'd just like to see the hands up "roller coaster" style.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40