Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Yes, they will finish in about three days.

When they go "Furtive" you will see, or better, you will not see them. They will disappear from the map. I would not be surprised if they chose to disappear all at the same time

Sam has jibed for Saint Barth. I think this is going to be her last jib. I don't see any reason to go further South. I believe that if the others 3 don't do the same, they will lose time.

On the last 8 hours, since my last post, everybody has lost time for the leader (Le Cleac'h). Jeanne lost 1.1m, Morvan lost 2.1, Sam lost 0.6m.

But now Sam is winning to everybody. It would be the right time to play “Furtive”.

Transat AG2R La Mondiale 2010

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Tell me if I am wrong on this, But when they go "furtive" I realize you and I can not see them, nor competition. But I would assume for safety reason, the RC or equal still has the ability to see them?!?!?

That appears to be a good jibe for same IMHO also, I would imagine if a 9-10 pm shot was out on top of the 7pm then we would see the others jibing also. Next 24-48 hrs is the check/checkmate time to a degree, unless it ends up a sprint to the end, then it is the who makes the fewest errors, and gets the most boat speed.

marty
Old 05-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Tell me if I am wrong on this, But when they go "furtive" I realize you and I can not see them, nor competition. But I would assume for safety reason, the RC or equal still has the ability to see them?!?!?

...marty
I don't know, probably they disconnect the "thing" on the boat. If they are in trouble they can switch it back, and they have an Epirb anyway.

Yes, everybody followed Sam's move. They have visual contact with each other, I mean, not with all of them, but with the one that is closest, and they exchange information on the radio. That's why I have said Sam's move should be made at night, on furtive mode. Switch of position lights and jib. The others would never know till it was too late.

As it is, it is a very close match. Regarding the last 24 hours, everybody won to the leader. Sam was the one that won more (4.2m), Jeanne won 2.9 and Morvan won 1.9.

Fantastic race 36 hours to the finish, on a Transat, you have four contenders in a circle with a 5 miles radium .

Let’s see what happens when they play the “Furtive” mode. They are all going at a good speed (9K) on what appears to be a direct course to Saint Barth.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-08-2010

No sure that going stealth will help too much at this time, unless they do it at night, and make a major shift to the NW or equal towards st barth. In the mean time, LeCleatch seems to have more speed the the other three just behind. Not sure that Sam could gain the 15 miles or there abouts, but being as she is farther north.......hmmmmm......strange things have happened. Morved is pretty much right there with Sam too........

Probably have to wait about 2-3 hrs for the 5m report to see what is going on.

Marty
Old 05-08-2010

Le Cleac'h is the only one of the four that is using the spinnaker over the jib. I don't know if that little extra sail (on the bottom) is responsible for the little extra speed.

YouTube - Transat AG2R 2010 - 7 mai 2010 - En Mer

There is a series of squals ahead. It will be interesting.

Paulo
Old 05-08-2010

With how light the winds appear to be, It would not surprise me if Le Cleac'h having the jib up along with the spin, this could add up to .5-1 extra knot of Boat speed. Or at the reading time, he was in a stronger/steadier flow, the others in a more varied but still ave about the same wind speed.

A few more hrs until the 5 am time. Then what are you doing up at this time posting, isn't it about 2-4 am there in Portugal?

Not sure how you are seeing the squalls, unless it was in the wording part of the video, in which case......no parlais francais! well not really good, a few words.........

Marty
Old 05-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
With how light the winds appear to be, It would not surprise me if Le Cleac'h having the jib up along with the spin, this could add up to .5-1 extra knot of Boat speed. Or at the reading time, he was in a stronger/steadier flow, the others in a more varied but still ave about the same wind speed.

A few more hrs until the 5 am time. Then what are you doing up at this time posting, isn't it about 2-4 am there in Portugal?

Not sure how you are seeing the squalls, unless it was in the wording part of the video, in which case......no parlais francais! well not really good, a few words.........

Marty
The diference is really only the bottom of the jib. I think that can add something like 0.2k or 0.3, not more.

About the squals....I read French they call it "Grains".

Site Officiel de la Transat AG2R LA MONDIALE 2010

I was watching a movie... a really Bad movie . Now I am going to bed, to read a book, a good one . we are the more western European Country, so we use, like the Brits, CET -1, or Greenwich time, if you want to call it that way. Now here it is 00.50 minutes.

Till tomorrow,

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-08-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2010

Enjoy your sleep! 5:23 pm here! Tried to get a jack and jill going at my club, few issues on my end, still had 4 boats out. Wish it would have been more! 4 of 50!......not good! pretty poor IMHO!

I'll send you a copy of a magazine article in a month or two on "MY" boat! That will put you to sleep!In the mean time, I'll wait until the 5 am positions are up......

Marty
Old 05-09-2010

8am is up, looks like Sam and Morvan have and are making up some time during the night. Probably about 2-3 am where they are, so a few more hrs of darkness to work with. All 4 are going faster than last report, wind appears up 2-4 knots, along with maybe all 4 went to a jib/spin upfront too. Oh to see more closely!LOL

Off to bed, up in a few, then to MIL's for a visit.

marty
Old 05-09-2010

Le Cleac'h opens the game, or should I say hide the game . He is the first to play "furtive". We will only know where he is tomorrow at 5 am (the same with all the racers).

On the last known position he had an advantage of 8.2 miles over Jeanne, 12.8 over Morvan and 14.6 over Sam.

On the last 6 hours, Morvan has won 2.4 miles to Jeanne, Sam won 1.3 to Jeanne and lost 1.1 to Morvan.

I believe that at 14.00 hours, race time, some of the leader pack are going to play furtive too.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-09-2010 at 08:15 AM.