Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Marty,

About the weather information:

If you click on the arrows you will get the wind. If you go top right and click and drag on the arrow of the cursor that has a percentage, you will minimize the map. Then the wind will be clearly visible (mouse arrow over the map).

Go to the bottom, left side and you will see another cursor (Prevision à 0H). Click and drag and you will have a prediction for 6, 12, 24 or 36H.

About the race: My previsions were right. Jeanne is on the lead
Sam has recovered.

Transat AG2R La Mondiale 2010

Several skippers are going for the wind on the Portuguese coast.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Heck, Who needs to know francais? just start clicking buttons, next thing you know, you have a full screen, wind arrows, in color or is that colour?!?!?! boats and their headings. Is that cool or what! Now I see where the leaders are seeming to be heading etc, and can see what the plan is and hope. That one boat doing the rumb line, not sure, it may pay off. But he has lost what looks to be about 100 or so miles in the last 24-36 hrs or so.

marty
Old 04-23-2010

Marty,
Now that you seem to have mastered the "screen" you are going to enjoy a lot more. They are on a very slippery spot. Jeanne and the three boats that are with her don't have any wind ahead so, they have to change course...I would say to West, to the rumb line. Sam seems to be on a good spot. I believe she can maintain course.

The three guys that have chosen to approach the Portuguese coast are going to have more wind (let's see if it pays off) and for me the most interesting strategy is the one followed by Jean Paul Mouren, on G. SNEF.

The guy has balls: He is hard against a lot of wind, making good speed and going West, away from the rumb line. When he tacks to Madeira I think he is going to be the guy with more wind and is going to be the fastest, by a large margin. Probably he has a good chance to close on the leaders and I like his bold move.

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-23-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2010

Paulo,

Not sure what is up with the main pack, they are heading SE as I type this. THe one fellow is IMHO doing a very bold and what could be a smart move heading INTO the strong band of wind, vs the others seeming to be moving away. Even a slight SW move would put some of them into the stronger wind bands. But then, I have not sailed an ocean, nor raced on one, so what do I know. If they have the same wind forcast etc we are seeing, I like this bold move frankly! I do not remember how far behind Jeanne he was, I am remembering about 145 miles, now he is 45 miles, so a gain of 100 miles in 9-10 hrs! His speed is not 10knots an hr quicker, but he is heading towards the finish at this time faster!

Marty
Old 04-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Paulo,

Not sure what is up with the main pack, they are heading SE as I type this. THe one fellow is IMHO doing a very bold and what could be a smart move heading INTO the strong band of wind, vs the others seeming to be moving away. Even a slight SW move would put some of them into the stronger wind bands. But then, I have not sailed an ocean, nor raced on one, so what do I know. If they have the same wind forcast etc we are seeing, I like this bold move frankly!

Marty
Marty,

After all it seems it was a bad move: There is not much wind ahead for him now.

But I was right about Jeanne (she should have gone West) she is a sitting duck now, doing less than a knot. Also right about Sam, she was in a better position. She seems to have gone through the patch without wind and has good wind ahead.

The guys along the Portuguese coast are doing well. Cabo São Vicente had wind as usual and they are the fastest know, and the ones that have more wind ahead.

Marty, they have about the same weather information as you have. Routing (exterior weather information) is not allowed, so this is a good away to learn about wind, routing and sailing. The difference is that they are a lot more experienced.

This is a very interesting tactical race.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-24-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2010

Marty, let's make some bets.

I bet on Sam, as the one that is going to be the first to turn around Canary Islands (at the mark).

What's your bet?

Hey guys, that are looking, put not posting...Please make your choice...post your bets, let's have some fun.

Regards

Paulo
Old 04-24-2010

Now that I am also realizing they need to run at Madere......thought they went straight across.........Sam is in good position with the stronger wind along the coast, the folks to the west are looking a bit screwed.

Out to sail, race canceled due to too strong winds. anything at about 20 or over is canceled for our local beer cans. Blowing tween 20 and 30, but crew wants to head out and sail/practice. Have stillys daughter whom is also doing a school enior project about sailing. so that gives her some time in some heavier winds with out the need to do things perfect as in an actual race, all can learn and try rigging things to see how they do or do not work too!

Marty
Old 04-24-2010

SailFlow.com - WA - puget sound Wind Data
SailFlow.com - WA - puget sound Wind Data
Washington State Ferry Weather

some live what is going on around me weather links. Link two shows a strong little circle band with me being at the north end, could probably sail mile or two north and be in less winds.....will be interesting to see the water as I drive to the marina.

Marty
Old 04-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Now that I am also realizing they need to run at Madere......thought they went straight across.........Sam is in good position with the stronger wind along the coast, the folks to the west are looking a bit screwed.

Out to sail, race canceled due to too strong winds. anything at about 20 or over is canceled for our local beer cans. Blowing tween 20 and 30, but crew wants to head out and sail/practice. Have stillys daughter whom is also doing a school enior project about sailing. so that gives her some time in some heavier winds with out the need to do things perfect as in an actual race, all can learn and try rigging things to see how they do or do not work too!

Marty
Yes, and the guys that had chose the long detour to the Portuguese coast are coming down fast. More than 1k more than Sam and 4k more than Jeanne (that is still leading) and his entourage. Nice move.

Puget Sound seems to be a very nice cruising ground and today it seems to be a nice day to sail and a better day for racing. Shame on the local can racers. Here you would call them sweet water sailors

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-24-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2010

Paulo,

Jeanne picked up a bit over the last bit, sam not sure what to say, but still looks like she is in a nice spot.

My "club" cancels club races at 20 or so. The race that started 10 miles south, one of the island series races is a go. One is 110 miles or so, short course is about 45 and a cruise class at 20 or so miles. There running and having a good time. The long course you have 30 or so hrs to finish, the others about 8-10 hrs. I was toying with doing this series, but could not pull a full crew together. My sons whom normally would have come, are leaving to go to Europe in a few weeks, they compete throwing boomarangs of all things on a world level every two yrs repping the US. One has finished usually about 15-20 out of 150 or so participants the last 3 world cups. Current US champ.

Had a good sail, hit 7 knots on a reach with a reef and 110, downwind hit 9 something with a upper 20 gust and a 1.5-2M wave pushing us.Not bad for 6.7knot hull speed boat! Broke the rivvets to the vang where it connects to the boom, at least it was not the boom! did that last year.

Off to get spouses mother a mothers day present.

Marty