Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010

CGMojo is on a distinguished road
Sandusky -- good advice. On the Newport Beach to Ensenada, the major choice is "inside or outside". The rhumb line goes just inside the Coronado Islands off San Diego. The usual winds are W or NW at 10-15 and it usually lays down at night. Going outside the Coronados gives you more chance of finding a breeze. Sometimes the inside guys find a breeze coming off the beach if they get in tight.

I'm looking forward to July's inaugrual "Round the Islands" race from Newport Beach leaving Catalina to starboard (ususally a beam reach), then leaving Catalina Island to starboard (upwind), then back to Newport Beach (usually a run). 125nm like the Newport to Ensenada. Should be fun.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2010

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
Getting close- less than 3 weeks to race time on the 17th. I have all the required equipment except the right charts. Expect to get them soon. Here is the boat pic from the Iphone this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
The Road to Mackinac-29-11.jpg  
Old 06-29-2010

The class splits are up at the BYC Mac site. We are in PHRF C with 12 other boats rating from 141 to 225. AT 177 we are 3rd slowest rated boat in PHRF. With all the long waterline boats rated near us we are hoping for some upwind work in light to medium or spinnaker work in 18+ where we can surf. The perennial winners include a Tartan 34C which is a great reaching boat and a Pilot 35. Should be interesting. You can follow the race and our progress (boat name -Hey Jude) at www.iboatrack.com - click on 2010 Pure Michigan Bayview Mackinac or at Bayview Yacht Club - 2010 Pure Michigan Bayview Port Huron to Mackinac Race
Old 07-08-2010

It is getting close. We plan to deliver the boat to Port Huron leaving Sandusky early on the 14th. Stopping overnight at Bayview Yacht Club in Detroit and arriving on Thursday in Port Huron. Final preparations this weekend. The new spinnaker was fast in the Islands race this past weekend. New #1 seems fast in light air with overall wins in the last 2 Wednesday night races. The crew is getting psyched.
Old 07-08-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
The perennial winners include a Tartan 34C which is a great reaching boat...[/url]
Looking forward to hearing back Sand. Good luck to you guys.

I was "racing" a Tartan 28 a few weeks ago and just got smoked upwind. Jeez those things can point! I was able to learn a few things about sail trim trying to point as high as he could - but there was no way I could match him.

I'm sure the C27 could have done better - but I didn't know how to get her there myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-21-2010

Well, we got beat pretty badly. The boat had speed, we listened to the weather briefing and kept to the left side of the rhumb line on Saturday. Saturday evening there was a 90 degree shift and we were left. The guys who didn't point well or could not carry a chute on a 80 degree reach had fallen off to the east. 90 degree shift and they are reaching east of the rhumb line and we were beating to the west right into a dead zone. the boats on the outside missed the dead zone which was the deciding factor. Race over as we played catch up in the parade to the finish.

Currently sitting in Presque Isle on the way back.
Old 07-22-2010

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
I still want to get a Hobie Trifoiler and turn that race into a day trip. There was one for sale on Ebay a few weeks ago.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.