Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
By the way, why to they insist in call it America's cup? Should not be America cup?
The America's Cup was originally an 100-guinea silver trophy offered by the Royal Yacht Squadron to the winner of a race around the Isle of Wight on August 22, 1851. John Cox Stevens, a wealthy New Jersey real estate broker and founder of the New York Yacht Club, organized a syndicate of five other club members that commissioned William H. Brown in 1850 to construct a yacht "to race against the best the British had to offer." Following the design by George Steers, Brown finished America in 1851, in time for Stevens to accept an invitation from the Royal Yacht Squadron to enter its race around the Isle of Wight. Pitted against seventeen seasoned British boats, America started poorly but finished with a commanding lead and won the cup. In response to the win by America, the Spirit of the Times observed that "old England was no match for young America." Stevens accepted the cup, naming it after his yacht, and kept it on display at his Annandale, New Jersey estate. After his death in 1857, it became a trust of the New York Yacht Club "as a permanent challenge cup, open to competition by any organized yacht club of any foreign country."
Old 10-07-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Yes, I know that. The America that refers to America's Cup is a Cup named America, not a country. So it should be America's cup or America cup?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2010
Master & Commander

Quote:
Yes, I know that. The America that refers to America's Cup is a Cup named America, not a country. So it should be America's cup or America cup?
It's the boat that is named America, not the cup...hence, it's America's Cup denoting that the cup belongs to the boat named America. If the boat was named Fred, it might have been called Fred's Cup, not Fred Cup...
Old 10-07-2010
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxedUp View Post
It's the boat that is named America, not the cup...hence, it's America's Cup denoting that the cup belongs to the boat named America. If the boat was named Fred, it might have been called Fred's Cup, not Fred Cup...
Would the boat still be a "her" or a "she"?
Old 10-07-2010
Master & Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE28 View Post
Would the boat still be a "her" or a "she"?
Fred...short for Frederica...
Old 10-07-2010

Quote:
Hum, only half convinced:
Quote:
The America's Cup was originally an 100-guinea silver trophy offered by the Royal Yacht Squadron to the winner of a race around the Isle of Wight on August 22, 1851. .. Stevens accepted the cup, naming it after his yacht,...."
If he named the Cup after his yacht, then the Cup is the Cup AMERICA. The yacht America is story, the Cup America is nor well but still exists. So if we are referring to a Cup called America it seems to me that it should be America cup

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-07-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Paulo,

I wasn't certain as to how much media attention the 2007 AC (A'sC ?) received world wide. It certainly didn't get much attention in Australia, perhaps only because there was no Australian boat. The last Australian challenge folded.... went down like an ice cold Fosters.

If the original winner (John Stevens) named the cup after his boat then it should by rights simply be The Cup America but if his naming was a nod to his boat then yes it should be America's Cup. I suspect he would have intended the cup to be dedicated to the yacht America and so America's Cup would be correct.

Oh yes....just to be clear about it, I really like watching mono hull match racing, be it live or on TV. The multi hull thing is for me a one trick pony. I agree with you that the Cup should be fought between state of the art mono hulls. Quite frankly with much more of an emphasis on national identities.

That is, I fear, a cause that is well and truely lost. Which is sad.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-07-2010
Master & Commander

Quote:
If he named the Cup after his yacht, then the Cup is the Cup AMERICA. The yacht America is story, the Cup America is nor well but still exists. So if we are referring to a Cup called America it seems to me that it should be America cup

Regards

Paulo
Paulo,

No one ever said American English is an easy language.... should that be American's English or English American?..

Take an easy nautical word......port. In English, it can have three meanings:

1: "port" side of the boat
2: there are many ships in "port" today?
3: can I offer you a glass of "port"?

But we're going off topic.....we've got the cup back and life is good! I would rather see the next AC defended in Newport but it looks like SF will be the venue.
Old 10-07-2010

Guys,

Take a look at the AC72, the new AC boat. I like it. Take that rigid sail wing away and I believe that the cost will be acceptable.

Giornale Della Vela - VelaTV
Old 10-08-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I have to admit, I have not looked at the cup since the 12M went away!

Maybe they should use Farr 40's like the Candian cup?!?!? something done in the great lakes tween the US and Canada, might be some other country's involved too. Then it is easy(er) to get country teams together, teams of excellent racers that are not pro, that might be able to beat pro's on any given day too, keep it short, sweet........

Probably not in my life time again......

On the other hand, going with expensive boats as it currently is going, maybe the AC will have new tech to bring down to us lower land peons. Where as it seems like the new tech is coming from the different SH and crewed around the globe races, SH/DH boats in the 30' range of boats or mini transats for that matter.

Then again, my opin and ramblings, does it count?!?!? who knows. In the meantime, I'll continue to listen to BIL complain about elleson upon occasion!

Marty