Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Other team out:The German will not participate on the 2013 AC.

"In an interview in the German magazine Yacht today, Michael Scheeren, boss of United Internet Team Germany was asked their reasons for pulling out of the 34th edition of the America's Cup.

In summary, despite a starting budget (20 million Euros) they pulled out for two main reasons: the considerable existing advantage of the Americans, and much too high costs.
Michael Scheeren's conclusion is that the teams that will take part in this 34th America's Cup are those backed by billionaires who can privately finance challenges, and that there will not be much in the way of sponsorship in addition to this."

SailRaceWin: America's Cup: Team Germany's reasons for Withdrawing

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-08-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
If too many teams drop out, frankly, the next cup, despite the intentions of the current cup holder, will end up about as boring as the last cup. At least i can watch on the puter in real time, during the day, vs 1-3am my time when it was in Europe!

A smaller length, still with a foil, would bring more teams etc to the field of play, which is what the cup needs right now. No different than the Vendee globe race, where the sail quantity went down from about 25 to 22 or there a bouts from memory among other cost cutting measures.

marty
Old 11-07-2010

yachtyakka is on a distinguished road
Wink

I still think a lot of you are missing the fundamental point about the cup. It's a yacht race 2nd and a tech race 1st. The mere fact that the boats are able to be changed is the life blood of the event. J Class, 12meters, IAAC, Deed of Gift boats. Please leave one design for the Olympics. The 2010 cup race of the DoG and Cat were all part of the rules been tested and those 2 races were an outstanding display of what the heart of the cup is about, technology gone wild, both yachts are now consigned to history and from that event looking forward, we have 45ft cats been built in Walkworth. 2013 will see 72 hard sail cats dialling down at speed, simply fantastic. The best place to watch it will be on the screen in front of you, the web.
Old 11-07-2010

RedtheBear is on a distinguished road
Just a thought.
For the "America Cup". Why not have a series of races of the many one design boats from all over the world. A committee would select say a half dozen different designs and that would be the racers of that year. Each design group would race as a class for several races with each boat accumulating a score both for the class and for the total cup score. The winner would be the country with the highest total score of all the races. New designs could be summited as long as the design could be supplied to all who desired to race them. Any country or group could purchase or build a boat as long as it fit the exact limits of the one design but each selected design would have to have boats entered from 75% of the total number of countries entered. That way we would get the advancments in technology. The "Extreme" designs of the Megabucks type would have little interest to most countries or groups faced with the cost of building or purchasing a craft that probably wouldn't make the number limit.
With each class having a winner, "Little A Cups", could provide emphatess for further envolment by smaller counties while the national pride of winning The America Cup is still there. The winning of crews head to head on one design boats proves their mettle and skill. Crews from small clubs and groups as well as the large clubs would compete head to head on one design boats for the honor to compete representing their country. Now that would be a competition that would get grass roots attention. Boats just like down at the local marina. On cup week, several classes could be raced at the same time giving the media something to flip back and forth to so not to be "as interesting as watching paint dry".
Like I said something to think about.
Old 11-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtyakka View Post
I still think a lot of you are missing the fundamental point about the cup. It's a yacht race 2nd and a tech race 1st. ... Please leave one design for the Olympics…..2013 will see 72 hard sail cats dialling down at speed, simply fantastic. ....
I partially agree with you. I would value both items at the same level (the sail race and the tech race). It would make no sense into making it a one design race.

But that is not the point. The point is that the budget and the conditions to raise race sponsorship should permit the participation of many boats from many different creative and innovative boat designer teams and also the participation of teams of all countries and the best world’s sailors. The innovations should all go in a sense that develop sailing applications to the boat industry.

What happened and is still happening is that neither the format of the event, neither the type of boat (rigid sail) will permit the participations of teams that found that participation on sponsorship. Therefore it was and it will be a race for millionaires and that is not the best way to develop technology neither the Sport (sailing). The rigid sale is also a technology that will always be so expensive that its development will bring no advantages to the sailboat industry.

And that is what I mean. It will be a millionaire’s race or bet, not a sports big international event and that’s what America’s cup should be, one of the BIG ONES and I don’t mean only in what regards sailing, but globally.

To give you an idea, only the sail from BMW oracle cost about $10 millions (and he broke one) and the total cost (nobody knows what was the cost of the boat and its development) is estimated in something over $100 millions. To put that in perspective, the Big multihull (100ft) that has the record of the fastest circumnavigation (Gitana 11) cost about $5 million .

With the money it was spent on BMW Oracle, (that served no other purpose than to be raced once) you could buy the 9 ultimate class racing multihulls (about 100ft) and the 9 Open 60 that are racing in the Route du Rhum and those are among the most expensive and technologically more complex race boats anywhere.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-07-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
While I'd still like to see the AC in monos rather than multis what is most important, indeed absolutely vital. is that the AC must be fought in a uniquely AC boat. It is a developement class after all. To go out and do it in a an existing one design woul be fatal. IMHO.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-07-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Paulo,

The AC is not for millionaires any more, try BILLIONaires! only!

The cost of the last boat is ridiculous as you say. There could be great races, with improvements to sailing etc, with boats in the 10-20Mill range ea. Heck, I am recalling the V70 boats having limits to keep more than less teams doing the race.

I have not really watched it much since the 12M went away. The ACC boats were not bad either. but these new things. beyond what I am sure most of feel are affordable, much less, one race wonders! I'd luv to own one of the old 12M boats, not that i could afford one, but still..........

marty
Old 11-26-2010

The next edition of the America's cup is becoming more and more interesting :

"Alinghi, two times winner of the America’s Cup, has today announced that it will not enter a team in the 34th edition of the prestigious sailing trophy ....

After a careful evaluation of the protocol and other initiatives taken by the American Defender and its Challenger of Record, Alinghi considers that the existing conditions make it impossible for the team to participate in the 34th America’s Cup."

Two-times winner Alinghi will not compete at next America's Cup in 2013 - Telegraph

Sail-World.com : Alinghi exits the 34th America's Cup but stays with catamaran circuit
Regards

Paulo

PS. can one of the mods change the title of this thread for "2013 America's cup". It seems that I can't.

Last edited by PCP; 11-26-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Your wish is my command.
Old 11-26-2010
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Looks like Team USA is getting exactly what they want....to keep possession of the cup for the next 130 years, albeit they won't have a challenger.
Old 11-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
PS. can one of the mods change the title of this thread for "2013 America's cup". It seems that I can't.

Last edited by PCP : 1 Hour Ago at 05:14 PM. Reason: Your wish is my command.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.