Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
It seems like AC45's are a wet way to race. Perhaps they should have stuck to monohulls:

Well, sailors, I mean racers are pretty satisfied with the new boats and the rigid sail is having a lot of developments (even if I cannot see how it can be used for cruising).

The old mono-hulls were really not very interesting regarding contemporary design and they had a ridiculous upper limit in what was regarding wind force.

Curiously this apparently more fragile boats with their rigid sails can sail with a lot more wind and that's a step in the right direction.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2011
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
It seems like AC45's are a wet way to race. Perhaps they should have stuck to monohulls:

I guess this disproves the theory that if flying one hull is fast, 2 would be faster...
Old 05-02-2011

For the ones that thought that the pre-start would be boring, look at these images

YouTube - Match Racing Pre-start action with ORACLE Racing and Artemis Racing
Old 05-03-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Wild. I can't wait. And I thought the prestarts in the last match were fun.
Old 05-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Wild. I can't wait. And I thought the prestarts in the last match were fun.
I have to say that my doubts regarding this cup are becoming to run thin. Just look at these images . They have finally understood that people see the cup on tv and that success has to do with spectacular tv images. Well I would say that they are on the right course

YouTube - America's Cup test sessions wrap
Old 05-15-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
As a traditional boat cruiser, I couldn't be farther from a hi tech racing multihull. But I find these boats strangely beautiful and fascinating. I watched the last match online.
Old 05-25-2011

A bomb in the America's cup: The Challenger pulled out of America's cup. Only have happened once. Macalzone latino says he cannot raise the needed money to be competitive.

Hum? Maybe my doubts about the cost were not unfounded after all . We will see when they start to built the real boats, the big ones.

The new Challenger will be the Swiss team, Artemis. After all the swiss will be the Challengers . They have passed from Defender to Challenger as it seemed natural to me. Pity it is not Allinghy

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-25-2011
SearenitySail

mksailnet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
A bomb in the America's cup...cannot raise the needed money to be competitive.

Hum? Maybe my doubts about the cost were not unfounded after all . We will see when they start to built the real boats, the big ones...

Paulo
Paulo,

Somehow I just can't imagine mounting the campaign and building the America's Cup Catamarans, which can be demounted and easily shipped and has a smaller number of crew, can be any more expensive than building and campaigning the two boats per team usually produced when competing in the International America's Cup Class (IACC) boats!

Perhaps the learning curve is proving to be too steep for them to climb!

Cheering for the catamarans and some fast, exciting sailing,
Marshall

"People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -Dick Newick

Last edited by mksailnet; 05-25-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksailnet View Post
Paulo,

Somehow I just can't imagine mounting the campaign and building the America's Cup Catamarans, which can be demounted and easily shipped and has a smaller number of crew, can be any more expensive than building and campaigning the two boats per team usually produced when competing in the International America's Cup Class (IACC) boats!

Perhaps the learning curve is proving to be too steep for them to climb!

Cheering for the catamarans and some fast, exciting sailing,
Marshall
Marshall,

Not disputing the Cats fast and exiting racing. They have already showed us that the races are going to be hot and spectacular, if the boats are even.

Not even sure about if the money needed to implement the big boats is viable from the commercial point of view (if the sponsorship can cover it).

My first doubts were raised when Allinghy pulled out saying that was not commercially viable. Those doubts were calmed with the number of teams going in. Let's see if they can resist the cost of building and racing the big boat. I hope they do

I still think that a major problem regarding the commercial viability has to do with the very weak interest Americans have for sailing and the fact that the Cup is going to be raced in the States.

Regarding that weak interest, look at this forum, it is a sailing forum, people here should be much more interested in sail racing than the average American. I have posted about an American team winning a round of the world's main professional crew racing championship, the Audi Med cup...and I got almost no views and only a reply

That's what I am afraid off, lack of interest, and without that interest there will be no millionaire Sponsorship and without that the teams would not have the money to be competitive. That would give an huge advantage to the Defender that will be paying from his own pocket. That's what I am affraid off

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-26-2011
SearenitySail

mksailnet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Marshall,

Not disputing the Cats fast and exiting racing. They have already showed us that the races are going to be hot and spectacular, if the boats are even...

Not even sure about if the money needed to implement the big boats is viable from the commercial point of view (if the sponsorship can cover it)...

Regarding that weak interest, look at this forum, it is a sailing forum, people here should be much more interested in sail racing than the average American...That's what I am afraid off, lack of interest..

Regards

Paulo
Paulo,

The sailing/racing analogy might be a weak one. While I have an interest in following sailboat racing, I am more interested in cruising. Given the high profile professional sports in the US, I don't ever see sailboat racing gaining the popularity sailboat racing has in Europe. Soccer (football) still hasn't and probably will never, except for "events" like the World Cup, or David Beckham's first game.

Most Americans drive cars, but are not interested in auto racing. However, the Indianapolis 500 and Daytona 500 are considered "events" and do very well.

I think the action and speed attained by holding America's Cup in catamarans might be the "event" to get many Americans to follow sailboat racing, if only once every few years. I think it will be very commercially viable to the media.

Marshall

"People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -Dick Newick