Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010

NotQuiteCapnRon is on a distinguished road
Start rule question different fleets

Windward start. Boat A is approximately 3 minutes late to the start line. Boat B is in the next fleet to start and within her 4 minute start sequence and making a research run at the line...Therefore both boats are racing by rule. Boat A (leeward) (both starboard) meets boat B near the starting line. Boat B forces boat A down the line and denies boat A ability to start, forcing boat B to jibe, tack, and alter course to cross start line. No other boats are involved or near. Is this within the rules of racing?

Just trying to learn.

Thanks

Last edited by NotQuiteCapnRon; 11-24-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Good question..

Not sure what you mean by "forcing boat B to jibe, tack, and alter course to cross start line", but since Boat A has technically "started" (Boat A's start signal has gone), I'd say that, no, it's isn't within the rules of racing because boats that haven't started are not supposed to interfere with those that have... but I'd need to check that up.
Old 11-24-2010

I'll try to define...Boat B attempting to acquire knowledge for her start, rides boat A (keep in mind different fleets) up the line to the windward start mark, forcing Boat A to run away and come back up to wind astern of boat B to start cross the start line legally. Jibe away from the mark and then come back to tack behind and keep clear of boat B to get across the line. Hope that clears it up.
Old 11-25-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
You said: "Boat A (leeward) (both starboard) meets boat B near the starting line."

Then you said: "Boat B forces boat A down the line..."

Forget the racing rules, this is a violation of sailing rules/ROTR. Leeward boat (A) is privileged vessel, Boat B is the stand-on vessel.

If I were on Boat A, I would have called leeward, and requested that Boat B come up.

Also, even though Boat B is "in sequence" and therefore racing, if I were Boat B, I don't think I would have been such a jerk as to impede Boat A's late start.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-25-2010
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Boat A should protest Boat B. Boat A was leeward and therefore has rights. Boat B needed to tack away or come up. Such a move should have cost Boat B a 720 or a DSQ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 11-25-2010

Thanks for your reply. A quick read this morning, and a look at the amount of rum left in the bottle on the kitchen counter leads me to apologize for explaining the scenario wrong.

Correcting myself: Both boats are on Port and B is riding A up to the mark not allowing A to start. I think that makes more sense and is actually what happened.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-25-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Not that simple IMHP boat A has no business being in the start area during a different divisions start

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 11-25-2010
Midwest Puddle Pirate

It actually made more sense before. If you were both on Port, you should have been going from the start pin to the committee boat (at least that's how we alway set it up). In either case this is not a Port/Starboard issue as both boats are on the same tack. This is a windward/leeward case and Boat B is wrong. Starboard trumps Port and Leeward trumps Windward. Boat A was leeward and had rights.

Just to be clear. In this scenario, was boat B running parallel to the line and boat A was close hauled trying to start? Then did Boat B cut off Boat A and force him down the line?? The only thing that could sway this in Boat B's favor is if Boat A could be seen as an overtaking vessel.

Old 11-25-2010
Midwest Puddle Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Not that simple IMHP boat A has no business being in the start area during a different divisions start
While it's true that Boat A should have been long gone, Boat B should have given him room. That is, if I understand the scenario correctly. I don't believe there are any rules against starting 3 minutes late.

That being said, if I were 3 minutes late to the start there's no way I would be anywhere near a faster boat (faster boats usually start later, no?) while he's making his timing run.

Old 11-25-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
If boat A is in a different divisions start they are already in the wrong and its tough luck if there 3 minutes late as we go every 5 and i NOW have only 2 minutes to start

When you have won a 10 race season by ONE SECOND and 1 point or the difference between 1st and 3rd is 14 seconds you will have limited tolerance who somebody who has already screwed up there race screwing up yours

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 11-25-2010 at 12:19 PM.