Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010

OPTION is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Around Long Island Regatta

I am considering entering the Around Long Island Regatta in 2011 and I am in dire need some information so I can put together a race strategy. Hopefully, there is some help out there.

1. How do you plan the rounding of Montauk Point?

2. How do you plan for Plum Gut?

3. Where to you get the needed tidal flow information for rounding Montauk Point and getting through Plum Gut.

4. Do you ever opt to avoid Plum Gut? If so, why and when do you make that decision?

5. How do you plan for L. I. Sound?

Dave B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You might want to take a close look at the current and tide tables in Eldridge for the dates of the race. That's be a good starting point. If you don't have Eldridge, you might consider buying it a good first step. Also, get the charts for the areas you'll be sailing and plot a rough route....and compare that route with the wind pilot charts for that time of year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-12-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Dave-
It can be a fun race or a long exhausting one. Conditions in the Atlantic are often poor with strong wind while the half in the Sound is often ghosting in hot humid calms, so you really want to watch the weather and be prepared for anything as the wx cast is often simply wrong.

"rounding of Montauk Point?...Plum Gut?"
Eldridge and charts. You can't really plan for them because by that point in the race, you have no idea if you'll be transiting in day or night or time of current, you need to make plans for all and then as you get closer, chose the plan that matches your arrival time.
As for course...avoid the rocks and then pick the shortest course you can, once currents and winds are considered. If it was easy it wouldn't be racing. The best prep is probably to do the course a couple of times, inshore and offshore, and get familiar with the differences. Stay close in to the south shore, and there's current often against you. Stay further out, and you've got more ground to cover and shipping to consider. If the wx turns nasty, and the inlets on the south shore get dangerous, so there's no place to duck into. It helps if you've already done this inlets.

"5. How do you plan for L. I. Sound?" OVERSTOCK ON ICE. From dawn till 4PM you can have dead air in the Sound at that time of year, making it a long nasty day until the wind picks back up. And again, read Eldridge for currents to plan where you want to be in the Sound.

If you're renting a life raft--reserve early, all the nearby rental locations get cleaned out for this race.
Old 12-12-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
As said all you can do is have the boat fully prepared for anything

2009 was a 50 knot big sea this is no fun lets dropout while the boat is still in one piece

It took 2 weeks to dry out the boat

2010 was pretty tame with non stop sail changes every hour on the hour as the wind was between up and down 0-25 a lot

2010 pretty much like sailing on a lake but with swells

I gotta say there was really a LOT of ships to and fishing boats to dodge all the way out on the ocean leg

Stevens Maritime Center: Urban Ocean Observatory

Stevens has the best view of what the current really does

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 12-12-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2010

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
Get theTidal Current Stream Atlas for Long Island Sound & Block Island Sound
by BE CURRENT. As I recall it has hourly current prediction and charts. It is particularly helpful form Montauk Point to Plum Gut.

If you face a adverse current at Mountauk Point stay close to shore. Certainly inside of Washington Shoal. You'll be heading left to skirt the schore of Gardiners Island so it's the shortest route as well as reducing the adverse current. If you can't hear the surf fishermen's truck radios you're not close enough to shore.

If you have a favorable current at Mountauk Point venture further east.

If you have a favorable current at Plum Gut stay in the middle of the channel. If you have an unfavorable current stay right. We have crept through bouncing along the bottom while boats in deeper water and stronger current to port were spit out backwards. If you do go right you may wish to set a lookout to avoid hitting a navigation buoy while going backwards.

The choice of the CT or LI shore on the westward leg depends upon where you expect the wind to come from first. As you're approaching Plum Gut gather weather from coastl observation stations on both shores. Absent substantial differences in these observations, I'd count on an early morning breeze from CT and a late-afternoon breeze from LI.
Old 12-12-2010

OPTION is on a distinguished road
First, Thanks to all of you who have responded so far. The information is great. I hope that I get more.

I know the Atlantic for I sail out of Jones Inlet. But, the only time I sailed near Montauk was when I purchased my boat. It was in dry dock on the Cape and I had to sail her down the east shore of Block Island and then west along Long Island's south shore to Point Lookout.

From the point where I come to port to pass by Montauk and go on to the finish line I am in strange waters. That means that I can also use and will appreciate any information on courses, rocks and obstructions.

I have Eldridge and have made Stevens a favorite so that I can readily access it. I will have to get the Tidal Current Stream Atlas for Long Island Sound and Block Island Sound. Are there other recommended publications and is radar needed?

On the Gut, how far off must I stay, on the right side, with a 6.5' draft?

Thanks for the videos posted by Tom. I appreciate the staysail videos and will go to Youtube to access as much as I can. So, Tom, does the staysail enhance your boat's performance?

My boat, a Soverel 36, is rigged for and has a staysail. But, I have never used it. This is a sail that has kept a question mark in my head and is one that I need to learn about. So, is there anyone who give me more information on using the staysail, please do and I will appreciate it.

Dave B.
Old 12-13-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough

keep a good bit of room as it all rocks

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 12-13-2010

giuliodfs is on a distinguished road
i did this race ones and it was great!!!! as soon as we raeched the sound there was a thunder storm!!!
Old 12-13-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Dave, IIRC the Tidal Current book from NOAA is just a bigger version (the source) of the tidal current charts in Eldridge, and since you already have that...save the money.

If you round Montauk on a moonless night, the plethora of lights to the north can be incredibly confusing, so a chartplotter, gpsmap, whatever, is incredibly useful when you're trying to figure out which rocks to miss on the way into the Sound.

As to how much room ot leave for your draft...well...if you're not rockhopping you're not going to be racing in the Sound. That's a personal choice, and a more comfortable one when you're sure of the tide state and water depth beneath you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.