Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The only thing I do not like about the main race sites tracking, maybe I do not know how to fix it! is I keep the wind tracker up, but when I reload or update it, everything needs to be returned on!

That other one is not as good from a locate standpoint IMHO, not that it counts for but what, .0000000000000001 cents or some such small amount of nothing!

marty
Old 01-03-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Dick/Peyron are making a great race. Not only they are leading as they managed to choose the right place to be, for the next hours.

Also great race for the German/American team on Neutragena. They are managing to bring an older boat (2004) to the leading pack (4th) and also in a good place for the next yours.

Another surprising team is the Wavre family. These two make quite a team and are on 5th place, also on an older boat (2006) and that despite having losing some time with a weird episode:

Dominque Wavre(SUI) and Michèle Paret (FRA) have reported to the Barcelona World RACE Race Direction this afternoon that their IMOCA Open 60 Mirabaud had been boarded by Moroccan customs officials.
Mirabaud was approximately 48 miles east of the entrance to the Straits of Gibraltar and 30 miles off the Moroccan coast when the boarding happened. The officials searched the boat over a period of around 35 minutes, opening many of the couple’s vacuum sealed bags of food and equipment.
After receiving a radio call the customs officials left the IMOCA Open 60 Mirabaud without any further explanation.

Short news - Barcelona World Race

Le Cam passed from first (on the beginning of the race) to 8th, at more than 80nm from the First. Last night I had said that I did not understand what were his intentions with that course...well, it seems that whatever they were, they did not turn out right.

On the back of the race the guys on Hugo Boss seems to be learning fast, they are not last anymore .

YouTube - BarcelonaWorldRace's Channel

http://tracking.barcelonaworldrace.org/
Jean le Cam - Président • Barcelona World Race 2011

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-03-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2011

Hey Marty, take a look at the rooting map and zoom it.

Look at the courses. Crazy stuff, most of the boats went backwards and some like Neutragena (the German/American boat) was all night sailing backwards. They just cannot have enough speed and wind to make it against the strong strait current (that in some cases can reach 6K). That should be hard on the nerves

Four boats out of the strait, Dick is leading with the Desjoyeaux relatively close but the real night winner was the Wavre family: Not only they have cleared the strait as they are now on a brilliant 3th place. Really incredible, great stuff, with an old boat

Dire Straits, but four in the Atlantic. - News - Barcelona World Race

Regards

Paulo
Old 01-04-2011

Hey Marty, take a look at the rooting map and zoom it.

Look at the courses. Crazy stuff, most of the boats went backwards and some like Neutragena (the German/American boat) was all night sailing backwards. They just cannot have enough speed and wind to make it against the strong strait current (that in some cases can reach 6K). That should be hard on the nerves

Four boats out of the strait, Dick is leading with the Desjoyeaux relatively close but the real night winner was the Wavre family: Not only have they cleared the strait as they are now on a brilliant 3th place. Really incredible, great stuff, with an old boat

Dire Straits, but four in the Atlantic. - News - Barcelona World Race

Regards

Paulo
Old 01-04-2011

The tide influx must be the circles if you will that I saw yesterday for some. 6 knots of current is NOT fun to sail against or with. Been there done that here in Puget Sound. My boat has a hull speed of 6.6 knots! much less the ability to go 20 something like these boat in proper winds etc.

The next 24 hrs or so going by the wind prediction, is going to be a make or break for some. Hugo is way back there. Altho, I still feel the 200 some odd miles is regain-able if you will. Being as they still have 20 some odd thousand to go. 200-250 miles if all were coming up the coast ofAfrica to the finish......that would be tougher to make up.

Then the couple getting pulled over by a customs boat?!?!? what gives there? One would think the race committee would have let ALL the countries in the region know race boats were coming thru, marked etc......

Marty
Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
The tide influx must be the circles if you will that I saw yesterday for some. 6 knots of current is NOT fun to sail against or with. Been there done that here in Puget Sound. ..
Marty
Funny thing is that it seems that the ones that had lost more time had disregarded the knowledge that all local sailors have and that I thought everybody knew: The place were the current is less strong is near the shores.

Look at the courses of the ones that have made it quickly and look at what happened to the ones that tried to pass crossing the strait from one side to another, and therefore being away from the shore most of the time, like Neutrogena.

Hugo Boss is last again and has lost about 40nm in some hours to the boat that was last some hours ago (Central Lechera A.). It seems that one of the skippers is way better than the other.

Regards

Paulo
Old 01-04-2011

SHore side is the same here in puget sound, for less current in "MOST" places. There are some where the current hits a shore then turns one way or other, then the shore can and will be stronger than the middle. I would imagine the Med does not have too many places like that in comparison to here. I can think of one channel where the current runs opposite of what you would think it would! Local knowledge of currents can make or break you.

Off to work now that it i getting light here on the left coast of NA.

marty
Old 01-05-2011

The four in the med are losing ground really quick. Must be the light wind at the cut vs farther out and east in the med, along with probably the strongest current at that point. Still do not think this is a make or bread, but 347 miles for Hugo will be tough(er) to make up.

looks like the day/night timer says hugo is in dark, the ones farther west still in daylight. I'm sure going thru that cut at night is not fun, even tho it seems to be fairly wide.
Old 01-05-2011

The racers have already divided themselves in two groups: One that has already cleared the strait and are well ahead in the Atlantic (9) and other that have just cleared the strait or are not even yet crossing it. From the last, all are Spanish with the exception of the guys from Hugo Boss, that are very last.

It seems that the choice to substitute Alex Thomson was really bad. With so many young sailors with solo sailing experience why would they chose a good sailor but without solo experience?

By the way, the girls are not on the slow group, they are sailing well and holding a 6th place, very near to the German/American boat.

About young sailor's with lot's of solo experience, Boris, the young German that won the Portimão world race is showing that a sailor used to 40class racers can do well on an Open60 (he and his American partner, Ryan, more experienced in Open60's). They are in 5th place.

Dick and Desjoineaux seem to be of other championship. They are going away.

The Warve family continue to impress me and are still holding the 3th place...with an old boat

I find out that the German/American boat and Boris in particular is followed with a lot of interest in Germany. On the "Yacht" site I have found out an interesting movie about Neutrogena , their Open 60. Don't give up (it is in German) because they show in detail the interior of their boat:

Bei Boris an Bord in Barcelona – Teil 2 - YACHT: YACHT tv

Bei Boris an Bord in Barcelona - Teil 1 - YACHT: YACHT tv

Jean le Cam - Président • Barcelona World Race 2011

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-05-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-05-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
This is the first sailing race I've tried to follow, and I was hoping someone might clue me in on a few points. Firstly, is there a version of the tracker in English? I can understand the current one (spanish?) well enough, but I'm sure I'm missing some nuances. Secondly, how is the ranking calculated? It seems that it isn't just which boat's closest point to the course rhumb line is furthest along. Lastly, and this relates very much to my previous question, what is the unit for the numbers that indicate how far each boat is trailing the leader? nm? km? minutes? Thanks.