SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Racing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/)
-   -   2013 Americas Cup will be in San Francisco (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/71009-2013-americas-cup-will-san-francisco.html)

L124C 01-01-2011 08:39 PM

2013 Americas Cup will be in San Francisco

The decision was made yesterday to hold the AC in San Francisco. Quite frankly, I'm stoked! Simply from an aesthetic prospective, I think it will be a spectacular venue. I shot the picture I use as my avatar of Ellison's AC boat from land (SF's "City front"). It was taken when he challenged Allingi in SF. I have other shots where you can actually see the entire bottom of the cockpit, including the crew's feet, in the middle of a tack! I know that some other knowledgeable SF sailors (who know a lot more about the AC and racing than I do), don't think it will be a great venue. If the races are held in the bay (not offshore), they cite the shallow depths, the narrow width of the bay and shipping traffic as potential problems. Even given the fact that they will be using multi hulls, I can't understand that the width (roughly 4 - 5 nautical miles, with a couple of islands in between) and depth will be a problem. In fact, I would think it would be an exciting tack & gybe fest. Isn't that what people want to see? The Summer wind in SF is usually a predictable 15 - 20+ knots in the afternoon. Thoughts?

lobstahpotts 01-01-2011 09:15 PM

While San Francisco is a fine location for sure, personally I think it would have been nice to return the cup to Newport for tradition's sake.

Looks to be a good race given the conditions, though. Too bad there's no way I'll be there.

L124C 01-01-2011 10:39 PM

Here's a little CG hype for the occasion!

Ben Hur on steroids!
Yikes....maybe the Bay IS too small!

YouTube - 34th America's Cup coming to San Francisco

For the youngsters, Ben Hur was a gladiator movie with some intense chariot racing scenes, LONG before they had CG effects (when men were men):p !

paulk 01-02-2011 08:44 AM

I heard that they plan the racing windspeed envelope to go from 7 to 30 knots. No more whining about 18 being "too dangerous to go out". How many waterskiers could one of these things pull?

Minnewaska 01-02-2011 09:12 AM

I'm really becoming disenfranchised with the Cup altogether. So many teams just dropping out already, given the insurmountable cost to compete. I've heard that Allison has lost BMW as a sponsor, but he could write the checks himself.

While I'm partial to Newport, being my own sailing grounds, it would have at least been an emotional tip of the hat to what the race was all about. It seems to have been hijacked. No underdog will even get to enter.

Honestly, I'm not sure I will even watch. I understand that viewership has declined dramatically as well. Says something.

Rumor in Newport has been that he bought a mansion and joined a yacht club here just so that he could be threatening to SF as he negotiated. No one ever believed it would come home.

Fstbttms 01-02-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lobstahpotts (Post 682132)
While San Francisco is a fine location for sure, personally I think it would have been nice to return the cup to Newport for tradition's sake.

Oh, puh-leez. Maybe it should be raced in wooden yachts by men in blue blazers too. :rolleyes:

speciald 01-02-2011 10:55 AM

If I am still alive, I'll be there. I've been to San Diego, Aukland, Valencia. But never made it to Newport.

L124C 01-02-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulk (Post 682168)
I heard that they plan the racing wind speed envelope to go from 7 to 30 knots. No more whining about 18 being "too dangerous to go out".

It was my understanding that the wind limit (in New Zealand anyway), was due to the big swells that develop when the wind picks up. The fragile hulls could break in half (I recall that it actually happened, but don't remember where). The wind limit gave Allingi the edge because they had a better light air boat. When they came to SF, they raced the same boats in 20 knots because the swells were not an issue. The bay chop is typically 1 to 2 feet. With the higher winds the SF outcome was different, which Larry "the ego" Ellison had obviously counted on. Of course, we are talking about an entirely different vessel in this case.

L124C 01-02-2011 04:22 PM

The little club that could!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 682175)
I'm really becoming disenfranchised with the Cup altogether. So many teams just dropping out already, given the insurmountable cost to compete. I've heard that Allison has lost BMW as a sponsor, but he could write the checks himself.
While I'm partial to Newport, being my own sailing grounds, it would have at least been an emotional tip of the hat to what the race was all about. It seems to have been hijacked. No underdog will even get to enter.
Rumor in Newport has been that he bought a mansion and joined a yacht club here just so that he could be threatening to SF as he negotiated. No one ever believed it would come home.

Ironically, there is an underdog element to the story. For the NZ Americas Cup campaign, the obvious Bay Area yacht club to sponsor Ellison for the challenge was the St. Francis YC in SF. Probably not a big deal by East Coast standards, but certainly one of the most prestigious YC's on the West Coast. Apparently, Ellison wanted more power on the board than the St. Francis was willing to give him. So...Ellison went a quarter of a mile down the road to the Golden Gate YC, a little blue collar club. At the time, the Commodore was a radiator repairman and the GGYC was on the ropes financially. They must have been really happy to see Larry walk through the door! As I recall, to be "sponsored" each member of Ellison's crew had to join the club at $1000 per person, not to mention the other obvious perks of "sponsorship" for a little nondescript club. I remember a picture of some of the members being whisked off to watch the race in NZ. They looked like deer in the headlights, still not quite believing what was happening! The GGYC is still Ellison's "sponsor" today, and and I smile every time I hear the club mentioned in reference to the AC! I suspect the folks at the St. Francis don't have the same reaction!

Minnewaska 01-02-2011 04:31 PM

Neat story about the GGYC. But in the end, they aren't the underdog. Ellison just bought what he wanted.

Just who is currently expected to challenge him in 2013 anyway?