Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
2013 Americas Cup will be in San Francisco

The decision was made yesterday to hold the AC in San Francisco. Quite frankly, I'm stoked! Simply from an aesthetic prospective, I think it will be a spectacular venue. I shot the picture I use as my avatar of Ellison's AC boat from land (SF's "City front"). It was taken when he challenged Allingi in SF. I have other shots where you can actually see the entire bottom of the cockpit, including the crew's feet, in the middle of a tack! I know that some other knowledgeable SF sailors (who know a lot more about the AC and racing than I do), don't think it will be a great venue. If the races are held in the bay (not offshore), they cite the shallow depths, the narrow width of the bay and shipping traffic as potential problems. Even given the fact that they will be using multi hulls, I can't understand that the width (roughly 4 - 5 nautical miles, with a couple of islands in between) and depth will be a problem. In fact, I would think it would be an exciting tack & gybe fest. Isn't that what people want to see? The Summer wind in SF is usually a predictable 15 - 20+ knots in the afternoon. Thoughts?

Last edited by L124C; 01-01-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2011

lobstahpotts is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lobstahpotts
While San Francisco is a fine location for sure, personally I think it would have been nice to return the cup to Newport for tradition's sake.

Looks to be a good race given the conditions, though. Too bad there's no way I'll be there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1980 Cape Dory 30, #173
S/V Aerides
Portland Yacht Club
Falmouth, ME
Old 01-01-2011

Here's a little CG hype for the occasion!

Ben Hur on steroids!
Yikes....maybe the Bay IS too small!

YouTube - 34th America's Cup coming to San Francisco

For the youngsters, Ben Hur was a gladiator movie with some intense chariot racing scenes, LONG before they had CG effects (when men were men) !
Old 01-02-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
I heard that they plan the racing windspeed envelope to go from 7 to 30 knots. No more whining about 18 being "too dangerous to go out". How many waterskiers could one of these things pull?
Old 01-02-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I'm really becoming disenfranchised with the Cup altogether. So many teams just dropping out already, given the insurmountable cost to compete. I've heard that Allison has lost BMW as a sponsor, but he could write the checks himself.

While I'm partial to Newport, being my own sailing grounds, it would have at least been an emotional tip of the hat to what the race was all about. It seems to have been hijacked. No underdog will even get to enter.

Honestly, I'm not sure I will even watch. I understand that viewership has declined dramatically as well. Says something.

Rumor in Newport has been that he bought a mansion and joined a yacht club here just so that he could be threatening to SF as he negotiated. No one ever believed it would come home.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 01-02-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-02-2011
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstahpotts View Post
While San Francisco is a fine location for sure, personally I think it would have been nice to return the cup to Newport for tradition's sake.
Oh, puh-leez. Maybe it should be raced in wooden yachts by men in blue blazers too.
Old 01-02-2011
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
If I am still alive, I'll be there. I've been to San Diego, Aukland, Valencia. But never made it to Newport.
Old 01-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I heard that they plan the racing wind speed envelope to go from 7 to 30 knots. No more whining about 18 being "too dangerous to go out".
It was my understanding that the wind limit (in New Zealand anyway), was due to the big swells that develop when the wind picks up. The fragile hulls could break in half (I recall that it actually happened, but don't remember where). The wind limit gave Allingi the edge because they had a better light air boat. When they came to SF, they raced the same boats in 20 knots because the swells were not an issue. The bay chop is typically 1 to 2 feet. With the higher winds the SF outcome was different, which Larry "the ego" Ellison had obviously counted on. Of course, we are talking about an entirely different vessel in this case.
Old 01-02-2011

The little club that could!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm really becoming disenfranchised with the Cup altogether. So many teams just dropping out already, given the insurmountable cost to compete. I've heard that Allison has lost BMW as a sponsor, but he could write the checks himself.
While I'm partial to Newport, being my own sailing grounds, it would have at least been an emotional tip of the hat to what the race was all about. It seems to have been hijacked. No underdog will even get to enter.
Rumor in Newport has been that he bought a mansion and joined a yacht club here just so that he could be threatening to SF as he negotiated. No one ever believed it would come home.
Ironically, there is an underdog element to the story. For the NZ Americas Cup campaign, the obvious Bay Area yacht club to sponsor Ellison for the challenge was the St. Francis YC in SF. Probably not a big deal by East Coast standards, but certainly one of the most prestigious YC's on the West Coast. Apparently, Ellison wanted more power on the board than the St. Francis was willing to give him. So...Ellison went a quarter of a mile down the road to the Golden Gate YC, a little blue collar club. At the time, the Commodore was a radiator repairman and the GGYC was on the ropes financially. They must have been really happy to see Larry walk through the door! As I recall, to be "sponsored" each member of Ellison's crew had to join the club at $1000 per person, not to mention the other obvious perks of "sponsorship" for a little nondescript club. I remember a picture of some of the members being whisked off to watch the race in NZ. They looked like deer in the headlights, still not quite believing what was happening! The GGYC is still Ellison's "sponsor" today, and and I smile every time I hear the club mentioned in reference to the AC! I suspect the folks at the St. Francis don't have the same reaction!

Last edited by L124C; 01-02-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Neat story about the GGYC. But in the end, they aren't the underdog. Ellison just bought what he wanted.

Just who is currently expected to challenge him in 2013 anyway?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.