Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Audi Victoria Week 2011

Audi Victoria Week is Australia's largest sailing event. First held in 1844 and officially established in 1859 simply as 'Geelong Race Week', it is also one of the nation's oldest sporting events.

On the off chance you guys didn't know and might be interested, it starts this Saturday with the infamous Melbourne-Geelong race*. I think there is at least 350 boats entered to date..

More info here: ::: Audi Victoria Week :::

* = I say "infamous" because one boat sank last year after a port-starboard collision in heavy seas and rain, although the good news is that both boats involved will be competing in this years race - and looking out for each other this time, I'm sure.
Old 01-18-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Audi Victoria Week is Australia's largest sailing event. First held in 1844 and officially established in 1859 simply as 'Geelong Race Week', it is also one of the nation's oldest sporting events.

On the off chance you guys didn't know and might be interested, it starts this Saturday with the infamous Melbourne-Geelong race*. I think there is at least 350 boats entered to date..

More info here: ::: Audi Victoria Week :::

* = I say "infamous" because one boat sank last year after a port-starboard collision in heavy seas and rain, although the good news is that both boats involved will be competing in this years race - and looking out for each other this time, I'm sure.
and is there a division for aging termite tuckers ? If so you getting involved ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
and is there a division for aging termite tuckers ? If so you getting involved ?
Of course! https://www.topyachtsoftware.com/db/...ts&EventID=113

The trophy we're racing for was first won in 1858 - but no... I'm not that old.
Old 01-19-2011
Once known as Hartley18

"The spectacular mass start in the Melbourne to Geelong yacht race for this enormous and colourful fleet is a historic change for Audi Victoria Week, one of the nation’s oldest sporting events and the largest sailing event in the southern hemisphere.

In 1844 the first sailing regatta in Australia took place amongst the tall ships on Corio Bay, Geelong and on the 3rd of December 1859 – the newly incorporated Geelong Yacht Club staged its first long race. The 34 nautical mile passage race from Williamstown to Geelong. It became firmly part of Geelong’s Anniversary Day, (later Foundation Day, ANA Day now called Australia Day) Weekend sailing event.

It has grown enormously in popularity over the last 151 years. In recent times more and more Sydney to Hobart returning boats from New South Wales, Queensland, South and Western Australia have joined the local fleet to celebrate Australia Day in Geelong.

The 2010 Sydney Hobart winner Secret Men’s Business 3.5 was the handicap winner of last year’s race and Geoff Boettcher and his South Australian crew will be on the starting line again this coming Saturday, for the 2011 race, along with a host of divisional winners from the Sydney Hobart and the Melbourne Hobart race.

But now history has to give way to technology. As Principal Race Officer for Audi Victoria Week Denis Thompson explains ‘Right up into the mid-80’s even racing yachts typically had keels of less than three metres in depth but the modern offshore racing yachts are very deep drafted with keels between 3.5 and six metres in depth and the 150 year old course was causing many boats to skirt wide or risk running aground.

‘Going down the eastern shore towards Geelong increasingly in recent years, we have had depth issues, not just for the big Hobart boats like Loki (Audi IRC Australian Champion) that draw 4.4 metres, but for more and more yachts in the fleet.

‘We need to be out in deep water. So instead of the traditional start off Williamstown, our 2011 start will be off St Kilda and the fleet will sail down the bay to a turning mark off Sandringham Yacht Club and from there head towards Geelong, so the fleet will cross Port Phillip south of the Faulkner Beacon. Adding another two miles to the race’ and so after 151 years, a change in direction for this giant race has delivered an awesome spectacle to Melbourne.

With the throb of helicopters over the fleet, Minister for Sport and Recreation, Hugh Delahunty, will be on the official start vessel MV Pelicans to fire the cannon, at 9:30am – signaling the start of the oldest race in the week-long sail carnival.

From there thousands of spectators will be lining the foreshore to watch the yachts come down the narrow shipping channel into Geelong just as they did in 1859."

Should be fun!

http://www.victoriaweek.com/news/
Old 01-26-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Just back from Audi Victoria Week in Geelong.

The Melbourne-Geelong passage race down should have taken about 6 hours if there had been any wind - it took us 10hrs 34 minutes and 22 seconds, including the 15 minutes or so it took to cross the start line from less than 100 yards away. A no-wind start with no steerage way amongst 420 other boats in roughly the same predicament is no fun at all!

Here's a pic of the start showing where we were soon after the gun went (with apologies in advance for the crappy quality of my phone camera pics) - that's the start boat with all the flags flying:

Here's a pic of us nestled in our pen in Geelong:

and for those here who prefer photos of bigger boats, our course on the second day took us through the IRC fleet. Exciting stuff!! Here comes "Living Doll":

Despite pathetically biased handicaps, it was a good weekend in all with a creditable 5th to us. I am very sore after 4 days straight of racing and must now think about tidying up the boat in readiness for the next CYAA Classic race on Sunday.

There's a few more pics and video footage of the racing on their website. Enjoy!

Last edited by Classic30; 01-26-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
What sort of handicap system are you using down there? Around here everyone touts IRC, but no one shows up to race it.
Old 01-26-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
What sort of handicap system are you using down there? Around here everyone touts IRC, but no one shows up to race it.
Hah! Handicap system?? Pick one!

Geelong Week used IRC, AMS and EHC (Event Handicap):
Audi Victoria Week 2011 Race Results

Nobody I talked to knows quite how they came up with the Event Handicaps. Supposedly they are based on each yacht's past race performance, but that doesn't seem to gel (for the Classics anyway)...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.