Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
What kind of boat is this?

Someone told me it's a Cal. Looks to me like it was fast in it's day. Was it? In any case, it's not fast anymore. Hasn't moved in at least 5 years. Yet....someone continues to pay slip fees and it continues to deteriorate. Makes me sad every time I walk by it!
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of boat is this?-0222111050.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 02-22-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Looks like the Holland designed Cal 9.2 - in serious need of some TLC. There is a SN member with one of these..... Same vintage and quite similar to our own Holland designed Nicholson 345.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-22-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
The transom is very easy to see so take a look at the upper right hand corner and you will see the HIN. This will identify the make, model and year of the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 02-22-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
The transom is very easy to see so take a look at the upper right hand corner and you will see the HIN. This will identify the make, model and year of the boat.
Unless the boat is older than 1972, when the HINs became required.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-22-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
Seems the Cal 9.2's were built in the early '80's. (several for sale on Yachtworld around $25K.) Looks like a lot of IOR influence with the pinched transom and hefty beam amidships, large foretriangle and small main. Could need a bit of crew to hold her flat and change headsails frequently. Leave a note by the hatchcover if you're interested, and perhaps someone will get back to you.
Old 02-22-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Seems the Cal 9.2's were built in the early '80's. (several for sale on Yachtworld around $25K.) Looks like a lot of IOR influence with the pinched transom and hefty beam amidships, large foretriangle and small main. Could need a bit of crew to hold her flat and change headsails frequently. Leave a note by the hatchcover if you're interested, and perhaps someone will get back to you.
Nope....got more boat to maintain now than I need! It just amazes me that it's so common (in the Bay Area anyway) for someone to pay $2500 - $3000 a year to store a boat they don't use, and in this case, can no longer use without a LOT of TLC!. I mean, for starters...this puppy's bottom looks like a reef on steroids! I was just curious if she was a "contender" at one time, as my unschooled racing eye perceived her to be.

Last edited by L124C; 02-22-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Unless the boat is older than 1972, when the HINs became required.
Noted but based on the rounded cabin top and the tinted deadlights I made an educated guess that this boat is newer than 1972

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 02-23-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
As Faster noted, that looks like a Ron Holland design Cal 9.2. Cal 9.2's were known for serious mast step and support problems, disintergration of their experimental interior finishes, and for rudder problems. This old girl might be unable to sail, and the owner may not be afford the repairs in these times but is hanging on because he hopes to get her cleaned up and sailing one day.

Cal built several versions of these boats, one of which was a near grand prix level IOR design, but the rest were scaled back some. I raced one of these a few times. They were a real mixed bag. They went upwind real well with lots of crew on the rail, and were pretty quick in conditions where you had enough wind for them to point dead down wind with their huge chutes but not enough wind for the J-30's and their ilk to skate off. In almost all other conditions these were hard boats to sail to their rating, requiring a strong and experienced crew to keep her going at speed.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 02-23-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
If it is not a Cal, it could be the Jeanneau Rush version. My first thought it was an Arcadia as I own, but soon noticed it was not quite the same. There were four versions of this boat built by Jeanneau, I would assume 4 sold by Cal too.

Other models of the same vintage include an Attalia. The transom seems too narrow for the Attalia and Arcadia.

Marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 02-23-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
If it isn't a Cal 9.2, then it must be it's twin from an alternate universe:

Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.