Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Re: 2011 Global Regatta

Well Smack I have still not completed the 10nm Philadelphia course. Lack of wind and or current have conspired to defeat me, then I motor sail.

This weekend the tide and forecast winds look just right, but that has happened before, and temperatures are down in the mid 90' F. I will do the 10nm course taking the lead which will not be difficult since there is no competition.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 07-04-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Hey Mr. Daddy,
Your changes are just fine with me. I said that the light Alta Vista Light near mark B had been removed, but I was wrong, it is there and your adjusted Mark B is about 1/2 a NM north of the light.
"They" are beginning to dredge the ship channel and have several obstructions just north of where Mark C is located, but I doubt that "they" will get any further south with their dredging operations. However, wind conditions could complicate tacking to Mark C if you take the course clockwise.
Let me know when you are going to sail the course, I'll join you if I can. Not the third week of July however.
Today I sailed the course I sent you. Average speed was exactly 5kts. I forgot to start the timer, so don't have an accurate elapsed time. The wind was SE at 16-19mph gusting 19-22mph at about 155*. I had one reef in the main and the 120 jib and two novice crew, which complicates things. You know, you say; "Prepare to come about" and they continue talking about last weeks church service. Sheesh. Would have been nice to have had a jennaker.
If you want to see what the wind is like on the bay, go here: Pharos Environmental Software
It is a meterological station right near Mark C
Thanks, hope you get to sail this course. Just think, you could start a trophy cup for the first person to sail all of the Global Regatta courses.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I only had 5kts of breeze, and my results were rather ho-hum.
Bubble, I know this place where 5kts of wind is considered dead calm.
Old 07-04-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Well Smack I have still not completed the 10nm Philadelphia course. Lack of wind and or current have conspired to defeat me, then I motor sail.

This weekend the tide and forecast winds look just right, but that has happened before, and temperatures are down in the mid 90' F. I will do the 10nm course taking the lead which will not be difficult since there is no competition.
Don't worry...as soon as you take the lead, there will be competition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-05-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Hey Mr. Daddy,
Your changes are just fine with me. I said that the light Alta Vista Light near mark B had been removed, but I was wrong, it is there and your adjusted Mark B is about 1/2 a NM north of the light.
"They" are beginning to dredge the ship channel and have several obstructions just north of where Mark C is located, but I doubt that "they" will get any further south with their dredging operations. However, wind conditions could complicate tacking to Mark C if you take the course clockwise.
Let me know when you are going to sail the course, I'll join you if I can. Not the third week of July however.
Today I sailed the course I sent you. Average speed was exactly 5kts. I forgot to start the timer, so don't have an accurate elapsed time. The wind was SE at 16-19mph gusting 19-22mph at about 155*. I had one reef in the main and the 120 jib and two novice crew, which complicates things. You know, you say; "Prepare to come about" and they continue talking about last weeks church service. Sheesh. Would have been nice to have had a jennaker.
If you want to see what the wind is like on the bay, go here: Pharos Environmental Software
It is a meterological station right near Mark C
Thanks, hope you get to sail this course. Just think, you could start a trophy cup for the first person to sail all of the Global Regatta courses.
Just remember this from the rules cc -

6. You MUST use a GPS device in your race that has the ability to track your course and time, and output GPX files for this data. Your entries in the BFS Global Regatta will be with these files - which will tell us all the info we need to score the races. You can submit your GPX files by emailing them here. You can submit as many as you'd like as your time keeps improving. We will not accept any other form of time submission.

Old 07-07-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I don't think my Garmin 72H can output GPX files. Anyone know if OpenCPN can?

Old 07-07-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
I don't think my Garmin 72H can output GPX files. Anyone know if OpenCPN can?
I don't know about OpenCPN - but if you can output any file from your device (KML, etc.) - it's pretty easy to convert it online.

Old 07-11-2012

Why are the race marks listed in hddd.ddddd* and not hddd*mm.mmm'? It seems confusing to have to be changing the units for the GR and back again for normal navigation. Which setting do most people use? Is it different for racing vs cruising?
Old 07-11-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Why are the race marks listed in hddd.ddddd* and not hddd*mm.mmm'? It seems confusing to have to be changing the units for the GR and back again for normal navigation. Which setting do most people use? Is it different for racing vs cruising?
You should be able to set the units in your GPS device. Decimals are "the new black" in coordinates these days.

No one's mentioned any problems with this in the past races.

Here's a translator that makes it really easy:

http://cmilono.users.sonic.net/GPS/ConvCoord.html