SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Racing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/)
-   -   2011 Global Regatta (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/74083-2011-global-regatta.html)

smackdaddy 05-02-2011 10:52 AM

2011 Global Regatta

Okay as I was reminded over at SA...it's that time of year again...underground FightClub style racing against each other all around the globe! And you don't even have to leave your stretch of water!

It's the 2011 GLOBAL REGATTA baby!

Last year's record time for the 5nm short-course went to KaptainKriz's Akoni at a blazing 58:24. And Ajax ruled the Sail-C class by getting very close to that sub 1-hour time as well. No one raced the 10nm - or at least didn't man up with a time. Chumps!

The GR has very, very few rules. And if you don't yet have a course in your area, set one up! (instructions on the site linked below). We do most of the work for you...you just push your 4KSB as fast as it will go.

So grab your GPS, some swagger, and a few beers. And show everyone what you got!

GLOBAL REGATTA SITE HERE.

BubbleheadMd 05-02-2011 10:59 AM

Ajax being me- BubbleheadMd. :)

I'll hit the 10nm course on a day off this spring, Smack. Just not enough time to get around it after a day at the office.

smackdaddy 05-02-2011 11:42 AM

GeorgeB - I see you lurking! And you still haven't submitted a course for The Bay dude!

lapworth 05-04-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 726007)
Ajax being me- BubbleheadMd. :)

I'll hit the 10nm course on a day off this spring, Smack. Just not enough time to get around it after a day at the office.

There might be one or two freight ships anchored in course.

smackdaddy 05-04-2011 11:22 AM

Then it's an obstacle course. Just more fun.

BubbleheadMd 05-04-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapworth (Post 726837)
There might be one or two freight ships anchored in course.

That's ok, I'm tripping over fishing boats and lazy daysailors on the short course anyway. I'm used to it. :D

smackdaddy 05-04-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 726856)
That's ok, I'm tripping over fishing boats and lazy daysailors on the short course anyway. I'm used to it. :D

What??? And you still go that fast???

Crap. I need a kite.

lapworth 05-04-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 726861)
What??? And you still go that fast???

Crap. I need a kite.

You just need to change locations every other day we get over 25 knt winds for the past 2 months. I was almost at 5knts. Yesterday with only my head sail up. Hey! Bubble it's trophy season out there and those guys have big tournaments going on.

smackdaddy 05-08-2011 10:17 PM

Forgive me dudes, for I have sinned and fallen short of the glory of "winning"....

I was out this weekend with my parents. The wind was perfect for a GR run...reaching all the way...and I bailed. I just didn't think it fair to make my mom and dad meat the rail...especially on Mothers' Day. It was very painful.

However, to make things right, I punched my dad in the pacemaker a couple of times on the way home playing "Slug Bug". I think he got the message.

saildot 06-13-2011 05:09 PM

Just discovered the GR, very cool! I'm on Lake Travis and marina close to the northern mark... so, I have been running this course for a while now without even knowing it :) Now that I know there is a course out there, I can have a greater purpose while cruising the lake. Thanks for giving me another reason to go sailing!