Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011

Teleskier is on a distinguished road
Thanks all for your input, my intention when I posted was to make contact and offer to replace/pay for new handle, I did apologize after we finished putting the boat away and
should have offered then. I guess I was feeling a bit miffed at being put in that situation,as he is a very seasoned racer and we were on that tack for quite a while and feel he could have warned his new trimmer a bit earlier and I would have been at the ready with the handle in place ready to retrim instead of having to scramble for it while he's screaming for me to "get that jib trimmed"...even if we could have crossed having me low for an extra minute wouldn't have hurt that much (seeing I'm just a waif of a man @ 185lbs :-] ). Still wouldn't feel right if I didn't offer, that $100 isn't in the budget if he accepts but ahhh well. Thanks all Fairwinds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Teleskier – we’ve all been there. I have bought winch handles for other boats and I’ve had crew members buy them for me. All part of the circle of life. Other than the winch handle, how did you like the 40.7? A trio of them used to give us headaches going to the windward mark when I raced on an Aerodyne. They always looked good and have been on my personal “short list” of forty footers.
Old 07-27-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Funny, on a larger boat I crew and do headsail/spin trim on, I bring a short throw handle from our boat. The ergonomics just work better when we trade spin trim/grinding on the cabin top secondaries.

Teleskier, one thing about racing is, the larger the boats get, the more 'type A' the skipper is likely to be. The only thing that quiets a boat down is practice. Were you invited back? If so, then things aren't as bad in the skipper's eyes as you might think. Things happen quickly at times on race boats. It's just part of the show. One either gets used to it/get's a rush from it, or you quit. Some teleyer's like hucking and threading cliff bands, other's like groomers... same deal.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 07-27-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2011

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
If I were the captain/owner, my crew breaks or drops something, I would never ask him to pay for it. It is an accident, sh*t happens. An apology is good enough for me.
I am with you on this. As Captain, I would never expect the crew to replace it. But if I were the crew, I would offer to replace it. Actions defined the man.
Old 07-27-2011

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road
True story...When I lived in Michigan, I owned an Irwin 31 but crewed on a J/100 for racing. On a particularly rough night on Lake Michigan we were headed back to port after a race with following seas. I am the type to tidy up the boat best I can prior to getting back to the dock in order to hit the yacht club for dinner and drinks without a lot of fuss or delay. Between the following seas and a large power boat wake that we took on the beam, the only way I was able to keep my balance was to throw the winch handle overboard. Seriously! I am pretty nimble on my feet but this one instance, I had no choice! I immediatly turned to the J/100 owner and said "Alun, I just threw your winch handle in the drink!" He just looked at me, paused, and said "that happens!" I couldn't believe his calm response. Once we were tied up and the crew exited, we were walking down the dock together and I told him that I have every intention of replacing it. He said "not a chance."

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-27-2011

Teleskier is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hey puddinlegs...give me steep and deep and you can't slap the smile off this face as for hucking cliffs well afraid I'm gettin a little old for that, a few decades ago different story. Not too long in the tooth to huck a good handle though.

I can see where your idea would work well as a 10" speedgrip seems a bit overkill for the task.

Your premise about personality type is well taken and understood. Even still if I, or anyone else for that matter, am already performing a task to the best of my ability one would think even a Type-A would learn over time that additional high decibel input at that moment isn't going to noticeably improve results.
In more cases than not, as in this one, it tends to have the reverse effect. That being said of course from the perspective of some one who owns an old ODay 30 as opposed to a newer B 40.7.

As for being invited back, it was known that I was already committed for the
following day and being we reside in different countries, the skips perspective will be a bit more difficult to ascertain. He was however quite gracious in his response to my offer to replace/reimburse in which he declined.

GeorgeB, with regards to the 40.7 it really sailed well and was surprisingly less complicated to lend a hand on then I was expecting. Everything was laid out well and most tasks could be accomplished with relative ease even for a newbie. Below decks was very nice for a "racer".

Any way thanks all for the feedback, it was an interesting exercise as the responses both in this forum as well as here locally seemed to be split right down the middle.

Last edited by Teleskier; 07-27-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2011

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
You are all obviously good people.

Makes me happy.

Thanks.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 07-28-2011

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
I am feeling a bit contrary today for some reason ...

I am glad to hear that both offered to replace it and that the skipper declined to accept your offer. If he did otherwise I would think very badly of him. I guess the best advice is to address this immediately after the race so you know that it is done. I am certain the skipper was very appreciative of your offer even though he declined.

We have lost several winch handles overboard during races and most of them were the floating ones. You never go back for them. We have also broken winch handles and other gear.

Never have I ever asked any crew to replace something lost or broken during a race. I would think that to be rude. It is very bizarre but it seems that when things break / get lost during a race most owners/skippers are extremely calm and just assess how to get along without the missing / broken equipment. The next week when going to the chandlery is a bit less pleasant but we all love buying things for our boats.

You did the right thing.

The skipper did the right thing.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the 40.7 - pretty boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-28-2011

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Look at it from the perspective if you were the boat owner, Someone deep six’s a winch handle on your boat – wouldn’t you want him to pay for it?
Absolutely not! I am a boat owner, race with crew, one time a crew lost a winch handle overboard, as soon as it happened I told him don't worry about it, sh*t happens, things break, go overboard. It's part of the risk of owning the boat. If it happened a second time, I might get a little pissed and tell him he is paying if a third one goes overboard. The captain is responsible for the actions of his crew.

You should have shown remorse for your action when it occurred and the captain should have put you at ease by telling you not to worry about it.

Last edited by CalypsoP35; 07-28-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2011

justified is on a distinguished road
Teleskier
Well It sounds as thou things worked out, you offered and the skipper/captain declined. Which IMHO is what he should have done any way. Racing is a risky sport (even wed night beer can races) that the owner/captain has to except when he does it. Things break and sh*t happens. The boat I race on we the crew could not afford to be crew if we had to replace everything that broke or got lost over the yrs, not to say we do all chip in to the boat whenever we can and what we can afford and the owner is very grateful.
I had a similar situation on a fishing trip once... long story short I broke a rod, offered to replace when we got back owner refused. When I got back home I went out and found a similar rod and had is shipped. You could do the same maybe not the exact handle but similar or even just a nice bottle of Merlot. If you don't have an address send it to the boat threw the marina they will get it to the owner/skipper.
Sounds like you had some great days of sailing. Fair winds. Peter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.