SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sitting on/Leaning/Pushing Boom - IOD Race

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  thisiswater 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I had the pleasure of crewing on an IOD yesterday. I'm a newbie so be patient with me. When downwind, the skipper had me "sit" on the boom, putting all my weight into it. Is this a common practice? What does it do? I saw others in the same class, some had crew doing this, others not. More to say about these boats in other posts!

#3 ·
and also keeps the mainsheet from dragging in the water, which is slow and involuntarily 'trims' the main when you don't want it.

If it's heavy air and he wants you to 'sit' on the boom, then you're a "human boom vang assist". In light air you should be pushing just out, not down, since the latter can affect sail shape.

Maybe they just like your looks up there? ;-)

#4 ·
haha re: like your looks ... sounds like the sailing anarchy board! :) :cool:

I've figured this all out, I think. It wasn't the greatest sail on reflection - skipper was a screamer. I'm happy to learn and follow directions and become loyal crew, but not in exchange for yelling ... oh, well, thank goodness I live among a LOT of shorthanded boat owners. Thanks everyone! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.