Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Long Distance racing Skill Set

So the Trans Superior and Chicago-Mac races have peaked my interest, along with the other races on the Great lakes. I am wondering what the skill set is for a crew member for these longer races as opposed to the shorter club type races. Anyone do both, one or the other?

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Concentration and focus over days, not just hours. When you're on deck, you're racing. Great racers are always 'on'. Personal organization. A good sense of humor, and not at other's expense. No complaining. Ever. Be proactive when things need to get done, even if it means making everyone some coffee.
Old 08-14-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Be able to be upbeat on 2 hours sleep
Old 08-15-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Being able to carry out many duties helps: grinder, trimmer, rail meat, etc.. Doing what needs to be done.

Helmsmen, tacticians and bowmen tend to be somewhat specialized.

Others

Sleeping on sail bags
Accepting reasonable risks
Feel for the boat
Willingness to provide for the beer fund
Cooks are highly praised , especially if they are good
Inability to vomit
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-15-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
+1 to all that has been said.
You are always ON.
Don't get grumpy/complain.
Don't be late for your watch, be a little early.
Bringing something hot to drink ondeck at 0300 for your mates instantly makes you a rockstar.

The first 2 days you probably won't sleep. Way too noisy. After that you'll probably settle in to exhaustion mode, and be able to sleep anywhere. I would not recommend sleeping on sailbags w/ sails in them. 1 - its bad for the sails, 2 - you'll be thrown off them in the middle of your sleepy time when they need to do a change.
Old 08-15-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
On “short” races, everybody has a specific job to perform. Once you go to a watch system (usually starting with overnight races) the effective crew size drops to half (or less) and you will be called upon to perform other tasks outside of your “specialty”. The longer the race, the more you will be called upon to do. For example, helming can become fatiguing in difficult sea conditions so become a proficient helmsman in all conditions and times of day or night. Same thing goes for spinnaker trimming. Be able to tack and gybe shorthanded. You may be called upon to do other functions as “cook”, “systems”, “DC”, “Radio/SSB operations”, “navigation/weather” etc. The more functions you can perform competently, the better chances you will have on getting onboard an offshore racer. Of course, everybody has to start somewhere, so seek out opportunities, usually with the more non-competitive cruising type boats or sailing clubs like Club Nautique. When you do, look for skippers who are good and competent themselves and have the patience and skills to teach a “newbe”. Yacht club membership is an invaluable resource in this arena.
Old 08-16-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Having good crews is not as important as having a good captain with good leadership skills. A lousy captain can demoralize the crews in a few hours. A great leader can make crews work harder and contribute more. Racing skills is totally different from leadership skills. In fact leadership skills is hard to come by.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-16-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
+1 on everything above.

For me, the most important (and easy) thing was, love it. If you nail that, most everything else follows.

I actually prefer the long distance stuff to the inshore match stuff. Though exhausting, it was the best time I've ever had on a boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-17-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
+1 on everything above.

For me, the most important (and easy) thing was, love it. If you nail that, most everything else follows.

I actually prefer the long distance stuff to the inshore match stuff. Though exhausting, it was the best time I've ever had on a boat.
Really? I like both. Short races don't always give you the time you need to recover from a screwup. It's either "get it right the first time" or go home. Sometimes I'm not up for always being "ON" and the short race gives me the excitement without days of killing myself.

That said, I like short "course" races that incorporate many points of sail, not so much the windward/leeward stuff, around 2 bouys. And I do like the distance stuff too.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-17-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Really? I like both. Short races don't always give you the time you need to recover from a screwup. It's either "get it right the first time" or go home. Sometimes I'm not up for always being "ON" and the short race gives me the excitement without days of killing myself.

That said, I like short "course" races that incorporate many points of sail, not so much the windward/leeward stuff, around 2 bouys. And I do like the distance stuff too.
I like both. I just like the offshore stuff way more. I think it's because I need that time to recover from all my screwups.

That and the long distance stuff just brings in far more of the overall sailing skill set than the short stuff.

Hey, when are you going to crank your new 30 around the GR course? Let's see what she's got!!!

BTW, I humiliated a Pearson 28 on the lake a couple of weekends ago. I loved watching them all keep looking back as we closed in on them. We were just about to overtake them when my wife blew the tack. I, of course, was very introspective about my past fails and kept the cursing and verbal abuse to a bare minimum.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.