Centerboard position - keel/centerboard Tartan 37 upwind - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Re: Centerboard position - keel/centerboard Tartan 37 upwind

I know this sounds counter intuitive, but I could have sworn that I read an article that stated you need less centerboard in high winds and more in low winds. The reason being that in high winds the boat's greater speed creates more lift. In low wind conditions, you need all the CB you can get because you have less boat speed therefore less lift.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2012

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road

I just google'd centerboard position and the articles stated the farther forward the boat is the more the boat is forced to head up. So the conclusion was if you are in heavy wind which is creating weather helm, you want less board). If the boat is falling off wind (lee helm) you want more CB.

I'm referring to only upwind sailing here. Off wind the board comes up. I have been able to balance my boat withe CB so that I don't have touch the wheel when I get her balanced.

Last edited by CalypsoP35; 07-02-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-02-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Neither of those tactics work on my boat. from 0 to 10 knots or so, I can sail to windward nicely without any board down, above 10 knots, I'll begin to lower the board in increments to help reduces weather helm and leeway, and allow me to point higher...I've been playing with just how much..but, halfway feels right between 10 and 15..above 15 I'd probably lower it completely.

Off the wind, the board starts coming up in increments until when downwind there's no board down.
Old 07-02-2012

Tweegs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Neither of those tactics work on my boat. from 0 to 10 knots or so, I can sail to windward nicely without any board down, above 10 knots, I'll begin to lower the board in increments to help reduces weather helm and leeway, and allow me to point higher...I've been playing with just how much..but, halfway feels right between 10 and 15..above 15 I'd probably lower it completely.

Off the wind, the board starts coming up in increments until when downwind there's no board down.
Thatís been my experience as well.

Also, on a reach in heavier air, we tend to add a little more centerboard to help keep us from slipping sideways, and trim the sails for balance.

Lowering the centerboard in a moderate chop helps stabilize the boat. It stands to reason that if the boat is better stabilized, airflow over the sails will be improved.

I donít think there are any hard and fast rules for centerboard use, just rules of thumb. Your boat will tell you what she needs, you just have to listen to her. But kind of like my wife, knowing exactly what she wants takes some practice and experience.
Old 07-02-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Tweegs, Yes, I agree that off the wind in heavier air, the board helps slippage and gives a more neutral helm, since she'll fight to head to wind.