SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Racing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/)
-   -   Sailing simulation software - sail shapes and wind direction (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/89017-sailing-simulation-software-sail-shapes-wind-direction.html)

cspear 06-25-2012 02:03 PM

Sailing simulation software - sail shapes and wind direction

I am looking for a decent sail simulation software program. It has to provide more than basic options. I want to play with sail shapes, wind direction and velocity. The only things I have found online are so basic as to be unusable. I want to adjust luff, leach, foot tensions, mast position, etc.

Are there any good books available too?

Thanks in advance.

zz4gta 06-26-2012 05:01 PM

Re: Sailing simulation software - sail shapes and wind direction

North U trim and tactics. I have the book but they do offer a DVD/CD ROM as well.
It's not exciting, but it's spot on.

Not a simulator, good luck finding that one.

justflie 06-26-2012 06:15 PM

Sailing simulator 5 is pretty good. I'm not sure if it's as detailed as you require but you can change wind velocity (speed and direction) and you can alter tension on the secondary sail controls (vang, cunningham, etc). And it's pretty fun to boot!

Murph 06-26-2012 07:24 PM

Sail Sim 5....just checked out the demo....looks SUHWEEET. Thanks Justflie....or should we call you GAMEFLIE?

This is exactly why I log on to this site.....I learn cool stuff every day.

Word

DRFerron 06-26-2012 08:23 PM

I've used Virtual Sailor Virtual Sailor - Virtual Sailing Simulator and found it fun. You can change just about anything: current, tides, wind, day, night, weather. It also lets you select your choice of boat. Even tugs and subs.

justflie 06-26-2012 09:06 PM

Sweet. Glad to help. It's been pretty fun playing this game. It's also really cheap on Amazon. I just downloaded it from there. It's maybe $30 for the super deluxe version. There's also multiplayer aspect but haven't explored that at all. I use it for rainy days when I cant go sailing.

cspear 06-27-2012 02:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. I ordered a used copy of the North U trim book on Amazon for $32. I am sure that it will help. I also checked out the demos for Sail Simulator 5 and Virtual Sailor. They look fun. This is all great!

LeMerovingian 01-09-2013 05:20 AM

What you have to do no is lick your finger, stick it in the air and hope for the best!