Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: What class is my PHRF boat? A,B,C

We frequently race with just 2 of us on our 27 footer - not spinnaker division though. I consider 3 to be all we really need but 4 is ok too.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Its funny but the size of the crew required to race any boat is often driven by what you are used to. I used to race my 38 footer single-handed in single-handed races and these races included using my symmetrical spinnaker (which I also use single and double handed cruising).

The funny part is that my boat always seemed under crewed when I only had 5 aboard in a normal fully crewed race. In a crewed spinnaker class race I tried to have 7 on board. The amazing part was the raises and drops were no slower in the single-handed races, but the prep time meant that I might be on a non-favored tack longer so that I had time to set up for the raise. Jibes were a little slower, and needed a little more searoom since I needed to be almost dead down wind while I walked to the foredeck and jibed the pole.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-02-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-30-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
I wiill spend all summer getting use to the C&C30. How well she does in light air, How close she will pont on her own, Her weather helm and so on. I guess 5 man team? ...
You can race in cruising class (no spinnaker) with just two people on the boat, a good way to get some experience. Four knowledgeable people is all that's needed to spinnaker class, although 5-6 can make it easier on all.

The C&C 30 Mark I is not a light air boat, although it can be sailed to its rating in light air, it is just not in its element in less than 10 knots of breeze. As the breeze grows the boat goes to level I considered quite exceptional...its very apparent why the 30 is considered the stiffest boat every made by C&C. She just rocks in stronger winds, the challenge in winds over 15 is not to beat our class, that's a given, the challenge is to see how many of the "faster" boats in the class that started 10 minutes earlier, you can beat boat-for-boat. In these circumstances, with enough breeze and distance, we would occasionally beat them all.

The boat can balance very well in any breeze, as the wind gets over 20 just be sure to go with a 100% jib, trimmed inboard (all jibs need to trim inboard).

Last edited by sailingfool; 06-30-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-30-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You mean just 2 people? double handed
Yes. Two people. We always do the spinnaker class as it's just too much fun and much faster. If you really want to learn what makes your boat tick, double and single handing, racing or cruising, is great!

Crewed racing is fun as well, but a different sport in many ways. Good ways, to be clear, just different.
Old 07-02-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
You can race in cruising class (no spinnaker) with just two people on the boat, a good way to get some experience. Four knowledgeable people is all that's needed to spinnaker class, although 5-6 can make it easier on all.

The C&C 30 Mark I is not a light air boat, although it can be sailed to its rating in light air, it is just not in its element in less than 10 knots of breeze. As the breeze grows the boat goes to level I considered quite exceptional...its very apparent why the 30 is considered the stiffest boat every made by C&C. She just rocks in stronger winds, the challenge in winds over 15 is not to beat our class, that's a given, the challenge is to see how many of the "faster" boats in the class that started 10 minutes earlier, you can beat boat-for-boat. In these circumstances, with enough breeze and distance, we would occasionally beat them all.

The boat can balance very well in any breeze, as the wind gets over 20 just be sure to go with a 100% jib, trimmed inboard (all jibs need to trim inboard).
Inside the safety lines? I have been letting it go over the safety line near the bow? Humm not sure what you mean on this.
Old 07-02-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Inside the safety lines? I have been letting it go over the safety line near the bow? Humm not sure what you mean on this.
If you boat has been raced, there should genoa tracks located inside of the toerail, fairly close to the cabin sides, running from behind the chainplates to the front of the cockpit, so that jibs from small (100%) to large (150%) can be trimmed to a close angle. Yes, fully inside the lifelines. If the jib is over the liflines, you are not sailing the boat as close to the wind as it is happy to go, and with speed.
Old 07-03-2012
First String

Yes, there is a track on both sides just before the wenches. They are like 30" or so long. there is an adjustable slider that can be locked down were ever you want to lock it. I will try to find a photo. Seams like the standing rigging and the safetylines will cause a restriction in the movement.
I will look for a photo.
[/IMG]

Last edited by ltgoshen; 07-03-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-03-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

That track is far aft, maybe the former owner only raced in light air, that short track may only fit a large jib, maybe a 170% or a 150% with a high clew. If the 150% is your primary use sail, hopefully it'll trim OK to that track.

When you want to start improving higher wind performance, you need to install a similar track aft the chain plates for a smaller jib, someone on the C&C list should have the factory location diagram for that track (I had it 30 years ago, but stuff wasnt digital then...). until then, whenever you use a small jib you will be pointing some 10 degrees or so less than optimum.
Old 07-03-2012
First String

I have been looking into the running rigging. I ran across this on the inrternet. Do you think I could use this to run my boat? In generial tearms of course? http://www.usna.edu/sailing/Lectures...sailconfig.pdf
Old 07-03-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
I have been looking into the running rigging. I ran across this on the inrternet. Do you think I could use this to run my boat? In generial tearms of course? http://www.usna.edu/sailing/Lectures...sailconfig.pdf
Yes, although you dont have the forward genoa track show in the diagram, and your aft track may service, I assume it would although its is hard to say from the picture.

Note the diagram for a high clew #2 would seem a reaching configuration, pretty sketchy as a closehauled plan, as you would use your 150% to 18 or so, most beercan racers dont have a #2. I would think you would delay your reefs 3-4 knots versus this schedule.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.