Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
104th Running of the Chicago / Mac

The annual Chicago to Mackinaw Race will be starting in about one week.
http://www.cycracetomackinac.com/

For those of you that don't know, The Race is one of the oldest and largest fresh water races in the world. At over 330 Miles it is also the longest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago...inac_Boat_Race

This year the race will include the entry of the vessel "Julianna". Julianna will be competing in the cruising division and will have a crew of Tim, Julie, T43C, Sailchick, Bubba2, & Izzy.

This whole idea was the brainstorm of Bubba and Izzy. I can take no credit for anything, as it was all their idea. (That way if things go South it is all their fault).

We are in the final stages of preparations for our start on 07/20. As a first time competitor I cannot believe the hoops required to jump through. We started our planning back in February after talking with representatives of the Chicago Yacht Club at The Strictly Sail Show. It started with "Requesting an Invitation" to Being Accepted and one last hurtles is the safety inspection. After that we are free to race.

Thanks again to Bubba and Izzy for organizing this, to the entire crew, and to all of those who show and continue to show support on our behalf.

My goal is to not finish last, but it is possible. Even in the Cruising Division the competition is intense. I heard the winner from our division last year just went out and spent over 20K on new sails. Oh well, so be it.
We go with help from Zephyrus.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: 104th Running of the Chicago / Mac

Tim,

Bubb posted about this in the AFOC thread. I can't wait for the write up and pics from you guys on this! Man am I jealous!!

Have a great race. And go for the glory!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-11-2012
Purveyor of Fine Ideas

ChicagoNewport27 is on a distinguished road

I think Tim forgot to mention... For anyone who is interested in showing your support in this way, you can pick up a tshirt, sweatshirt, hoodie, or tote bag here. Many different styles and colors are available.

The apparel is priced $5 over cost, 100% of which goes directly to help offset trip costs.

There's something for everyone there. Even a t-shirt design festooned with flamingos.
bubb2 and captainrizzo like this.
Old 07-14-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

Be ready for anything on this race. We once had half an inch of hail land on deck in about 30 seconds. Fifteen seconds later, 50 knots of wind blasted it all off as we scudded along at 8 knots with no sails up. Then flat calm. Have fun & sail fast.
Old 07-15-2012

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about

Happy to report the boat and crew arrived safely in Chicago. 100+ miles Holland MI. to Chicago. 16 hours, wind on the nose with storms in area during the over night. On to Mackinac.

About 4am we did see the aurora borealis caused by the resent solar flares. Not as vivid as further north, but the northern lights never the less.

Staging here in Chicago for our start Friday.

Never Forgotten

Old 07-18-2012

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Good Luck guys and ladies. Forecast in the north is for 10-20 from the south. Sounds like the chute will be out a lot if the forecast holds. Have a great time.
Old 07-18-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I'm countin' it down guys!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-19-2012

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road

Good luck. Friday's forecast doesn't look that great. Hopefully your boat goes to weather. Maybe we will see you later in the race. I'll be on Absolut, a Beneteau 38S5 in section 7 starting Saturday at 11:30 Saturday morning.

Last edited by Sanduskysailor; 07-19-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-19-2012

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road

Tim, have an awesome time! Take lots of photos! If there are no pics...it didn't happen!

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
Old 07-19-2012

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
Good luck. Friday's forecast doesn't look that great. Hopefully you boat goes to weather. Maybe we will see you later in the race. I'll be on Absolut, a Beneteau 38S5 in section 7 starting Saturday at 11:30 Saturday morning.
good luck to you

Never Forgotten