SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Racing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/)
-   -   Shameless plug II. Yes. Everyone has one. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/89624-shameless-plug-ii-yes-everyone-has-one.html)

CalebD 07-13-2012 02:20 AM

Shameless plug II. Yes. Everyone has one.

New sails or talent to win a race?
Of course there is the boat design, luck, the rig tuning and the cleanliness of the bottom that can make a difference to throw into the mix as well.
We learned to use our old blown out main sail pretty effectively but our new main sail seems to help a lot.
2012, July 11th. A reflection on main sails past and present. | Odalisque

SchockT 07-13-2012 02:47 AM

Re: Shameless plug II. Yes. Everyone has one.

Wow! What a difference! You should post the before and after shots. I am always amazed what people think looks ok, until they see what it SHOULD look like!

CalebD 07-13-2012 03:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK. I can do that.

Before and after.

Cruiser2B 07-13-2012 06:45 AM

She looks good! yeah, our main was made in 1994 and is quite blown out, but i dont race so it gets me from a to b. I may get a new one in the fall. I am saving now for a windvane. Who made your new main?

BubbleheadMd 07-13-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 895844)
OK. I can do that.

Before and after.

LOL! Oh my God Caleb, that first sail is such a rag! No wonder you're sailing better now. It makes the whole boat look wonderful and no doubt, perform better.

msmith10 07-13-2012 08:41 AM

Nice comparison. Very nice looking boat.

ccriders 07-13-2012 10:06 AM

Caleb,
Looking at you photos, I find it interesting that you reef the jib before the main? Am I reading that correctly? If so, that is the opposite of what I do, which makes me wonder if that is one of the differences between higher vs lower aspect ratio keel.
The Tartan 27 is a really cool looking boat, one I was drawn to when I went boat shopping six years ago. But there was only one available here in South Texas and the owner was a "reluctant" seller, so no deal.
I experienced the new sail syndrome two years ago. Its a great feeling second only to a new bottom job. I think we are all racers at heart.
John

puddinlegs 07-13-2012 11:15 AM

Sweet Jesus Caleb, that old main is a horror show. :)

smackdaddy 07-13-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puddinlegs (Post 895931)
Sweet Jesus Caleb, that old main is a horror show. :)

Yeah - but that's one sexy new main, dude!

puddinlegs 07-13-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccriders (Post 895902)
Caleb,
Looking at you photos, I find it interesting that you reef the jib before the main? Am I reading that correctly? If so, that is the opposite of what I do, which makes me wonder if that is one of the differences between higher vs lower aspect ratio keel.
The Tartan 27 is a really cool looking boat, one I was drawn to when I went boat shopping six years ago. But there was only one available here in South Texas and the owner was a "reluctant" seller, so no deal.
I experienced the new sail syndrome two years ago. Its a great feeling second only to a new bottom job. I think we are all racers at heart.
John

I'm willing to guess it's simply choosing the 'easiest' option to reduce some sail. Ironically, if he had his new main on in the photo, he could have flattened it very effectively as the first step before reducing anything at all. Old, blown out sails lead to not only poor boat performance, but poor boat control as well. :)